Couldn't think - from Dec 2022

Comments

• Fortunately, we can Google 😂
  • edited July 2023
    Cheers Mrs G:

"All the TfL specific recommendations set out by the RAIB have now been completed. These include better signage and warning systems for drivers, additional speed restrictions, an automated braking system across the whole London Trams fleet, enhanced speed monitoring and an upgrade of the CCTV recording system."

"An automatic braking system, that brings a moving tram to a controlled stop if exceeding the speed limit at designated locations, has been installed on all trams in the fleet"
  • Can't find a date for that and the links only go as far as September 2019 but its currently on the TfL website so I'm guessing its recent
  • It's been reported that we now have a loan committee that's looking into the best loans for our youngsters.

This week we've seen Freddie Potts go to League 1 and Kamarai Swyer go to League 2, which I'm not convinced is of a high enough level.

By way of comparison, Harrison Ashby is going to the Championship with Swansea, which feels like a more productive loan (assuming he plays of course).

Does anyone else think we aim too low for our kids? I can only really think of Diangana having a successful loan in recent years.
  • I think they need to prove themselves to Championship clubs by doing well in League 1 first. Diangana had actually played PL football and looked decent before he went on loan.

I feel like there’s so much at stake in the Championship and so much money because of its proximity to the PL that young players are quite often not trusted. They seem to be loaned in often as backups unless they’re really standout talents.
  • I think they need to prove themselves to Championship clubs by doing well in League 1 first. Diangana had actually played PL football and looked decent before he went on loan.

I feel like there’s so much at stake in the Championship and so much money because of its proximity to the PL that young players are quite often not trusted. They seem to be loaned in often as backups unless they’re really standout talents.

I don't disagree, but Ashby hasn't had any first team football at any level but Newcastle have found him a loan at a good Championship club. I suppose I feel like if he was still with us, we'd loan him to a Wycombe or a Stevenage.

Be interesting to see if he gets any games in Wales.
  • Conor Coventry was at Rotherham last season. I reckon they hopefully have more chance of toughening up playing at League One or Two as long as they get game time which should have been agreed before any loan was sanctioned. Didn't our Academy team play against Wycombe when Akinfenwa was there and he just intimidated them even before they left the tunnel.
  • edited July 2023
    How about this for a goal. Play from 1:09

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/66269697
  • Before that game I had the final between Germany and Spain.

I don't disagree, but Ashby hasn't had any first team football at any level but Newcastle have found him a loan at a good Championship club. I suppose I feel like if he was still with us, we'd loan him to a Wycombe or a Stevenage.

Be interesting to see if he gets any games in Wales.
    Might be that Ashby sits on the bench though? Hard to judge until later in the season.

I feel like it’s hard to tell until later. It might not be that we can’t send them to the championship but that we don’t trust those championship teams to play them. Could also just be that Ashby is a higher level - he was on the fringes of our team and Newcastle wanted him - so more likely to be a regular than most?

I always felt Reece Oxford’s loan to Reading was a waste of time.
  • Yeah, I appreciate there's a lot to consider. I just assumed that, as Fortune alluded to, we would have some level of expectancy as to how much a player will play before we agree to a loan.

I look at Swyer going to Crawley, for example, and wonder what it will tell us about him. If he cuts it in League 2, great, but does that mean he'll do well for us? Or would he need another couple of years on loan in League 1 and then the Championship to prove he might be PL ready? Rhetorical questions, obvs.

I dunno, for their careers any senior football is good I suppose. Maybe that's what it's all about rather than getting them PL ready.
  • edited July 2023
    Read that Sadio Mane will earn a reported £650k per week in Saudi Arabia, this is just absurd IMO….😩
  • edited July 2023

Read that Sadio Mane will earn a reported £650k per week in Saudi Arabia, this is just absurd IMO….😩

And a much lower tax burden than in Europe.
  • Read that Sadio Mane will earn be paid a reported £650k per week in Saudi Arabia, this is just absurd IMO….😩

Fixed it for ya Jay. ;)
  • Sure I read that if they stay for 2 years then they pay no tax.
  • Well Mbappe could play there for 2 years and become a billionaire. How mental is that? Hahaha
  • He's turned it down hasn't he?
  • I think he has.
  • One about Mane is that he has spent an absolute fortune developing his home town and turning it into a city. I’m fairly certain he’s paid for a hospital to be built, paid for schools, and he sends every person in the town a welfare pay check from his salary. It’s possible that the extra money he’ll earn will go to benefit a lot of people.

There are a bunch of articles about this in newspapers I don’t want to link to, so here’s a write up by Soccer *checks notes* Gator, I guess.

https://soccergator.io/how-bayern-munich-star-sadio-mane-spends-his-millions/
  • edited July 2023
    Don't think anyone would argue if players did amazing things with their fortunes, I was just saying that the amount per week anyone could earn seems absolutely insane.....
    At least as you point out he seems to have a kind heart.....
  • Henderson is getting £700k per week. The Saudi’s have removed all references to his LGBTQ comments from any media reports as if he never said them.
  • Henderson is getting £700k per week. The Saudi’s have removed all references to his LGBTQ comments from any media reports as if he never said them.

Sounds like they're scared hahaha

But we know. Mwah mwah mwah.
  • A Saudi club have offered a Napoli striker £1M per week.
  • It feels a bit like when the NASL began in the 70's and signed Pele, Booby Moore, Beckenbaur, Cruyff and Best with the lure of big salaries. Except this is Henderson.
  • It feels a bit like when the NASL began in the 70's and signed Pele, Booby Moore, Beckenbaur, Cruyff and Best with the lure of big salaries. Except this is Henderson.

You’ll change your tune when they get Antonio
  • The people’s champ has spoken

• Ravel49 said:

The people’s champ has spoken

That's looking very optimistic at the moment hahaha
  • Vanessa Gold has been announced as the club's co-chairman

Vanessa is the younger sister of Jacqueline who turned Ann Summers from a rather sordid sex shop chain that her dad owned into a world wide brand

Supposedly a Hammers fan
  • edited August 2023
    Oops, misread headline.
This discussion has been closed.