The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

Comments

• edited November 2022
    Canada get a penalty against Belgium - you have to laugh - and he messed it up royally - oh my
  • Canada get a penalty against Belgium - you have to laugh

Unfortunately it's saved.
  • edited November 2022
    Very poor penalty. David is meant to be the big star but doesn’t take penalties. The guy taking it looked as nervous as hell
  • Clearly conscious of the quality in the Belgium side but Canada have them rattled, quite an exciting watch thus far
  • Ravel49 said:

Everyone’s entitled to their 🧅’s but for me Clive Tyldesley is the 🐐 when it comes to commentary

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS MAN!
    Clive Tyldesleeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?!
    “Messiiiiiiiiii, Rooneeeeeeeeeeeeey,Xaviiiiiiiiiiii and other butchering of any player’s name that ends in a vowel or a y, means your comment WILL NOT STAND IN THIS HOUSE!

• How much time did the ref waste setting up the penalty then missed Courtois not having a foot on the line when the ball was hit.
  • Canada worse than West Ham for spurning chances.
  • They also missed a second penalty award for Canada, the player certainly looked offside but the problem is that the ball was passed back deliberately by a Belgium defender and then he was clearly fouled, cannot understand why that was not reviewed.

To be fair, Belgium took their goal well, but it was against the run of play and they were very lucky to find themselves in front at HT.

Started out very neutral but am now firmly routing for Canada
  • On the BBC at half time, they should it from a different angle and the Belgian defender gets a touch on the ball before landing on the Canadian defenders foot.
  • Slacker said:

Ravel49 said:

Everyone’s entitled to their 🧅’s but for me Clive Tyldesley is the 🐐 when it comes to commentary

“Messiiiiiiiiii, Rooneeeeeeeeeeeeey,Xaviiiiiiiiiiii and other butchering of any player’s name that ends in a vowel or a y, means your comment WILL NOT STAND IN THIS HOUSE!

That's Peter "the Screecher" Drury, surely.
  • Bazshuayi said:

Tragic that the Argies and Germans both lost their openers.

Baz, don't mention the wars. ;)
  • Slacker said:

Ravel49 said:

That's Peter "the Screecher" Drury, surely.
    Nah, definitely Tyldsleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey.

• Bazshuayi said:

Tragic that the Argies and Germans both lost their openers.

Baz, don't mention the wars. ;)
    I mentioned it once but think I got away with it
  • watching Belgium for the last 10 minutes, that Batshuayi character seems rank bad! So glad we dont have the same name
  • Unless they improve, I can't see Belgium being good enough defensively to make much of an impact in the later stages.
  • I don’t think Canada would score if they were out there on their own.
  • Canada have the Scotland problem, their best player is a left back who (apart from his missed penalty) they couldn't really get into the game and the rest of their team have zero composure. They did look threatening though and might not do so badly against the rest of the group if they can manage to get some shots on target.
  • I’ve been listening to a podcast called Football Cliche’s recently, and they discuss commentary a lot. It’s made me appreciate Drury loads.
  • edited November 2022
    I noticed that Kehrer was on the bench for Germany with Niklas Sule of Borussia Dortmund preferred at right back

Obviously bored with watching Spain stroll past Costa Rica, Clive Tyldesley and Lee Dixon began a totally pointless discussion of Ferran Torres's relationship with Luis Enrique's daughter

Thankfully they didn't descend to Richard Keys and Andy Gray levels but...

With Scaloni in charge of Argentina and Song in charge of Cameroon I wondered what happened to Paulo Wanchope who was assistant manager of Costa Rica back at the 2014 World Cup.

He took over the top job afterwards, managed them for 15 matches but left after he had a punch-up with a steward at a U-23s game in Panama

Four weeks ago Wanchope was appointed manager at Cartagines of the Costa Rica Primera and currently has a 100% record: played 1, won 1
  • I just heard the commentator on the Switzerland say the player had 'not a scintilla of support'.

That's one I didn't have on my commentary cliche bingo card!!
  • Probably disappointed Chile didn't qualify for the World Cup:
  • My latest little pet peeve re commentators and this World Cup, I would be interested to know where the players ply their trade, I assume that most teams include players who may well play in the major leagues but possibly for second string divisions.

They have so much time for fluffy comments to pad out the dialogue, yet they fail to take the opportunity to pass on information that may be of interest.

Ho hum
  • I am sorry, for me, that was a very soft penalty for Portugal, the replay. I saw seemed to confirm that the contact was fleeting and he got a toe on the ball first.
  • I am sorry, for me, that was a very soft penalty for Portugal, the replay. I saw seemed to confirm that the contact was fleeting and he got a toe on the ball first.

Such a soft decision… Not even sure the word soft fits the bill tbh
  • What is Allison doing with that moustache?!
  • Kurt Zouma has had surgery on his knee. 😬
  • edited November 2022

Kurt Zouma has had surgery on his knee. 😬

He's looked as though he's been playing with an issue for a good while now. Disappointing that we're finally looking like getting Aguerd ready for the PL and we've lost Zouma.

No mention of how long he's likely to be out. I hope the surgery was straight after our last match as he would be 10 days into his rehab already if it was.

https://www.whufc.com/news/zouma-undergoes-knee-surgery