The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

Comments

• edited November 2022
    I think we need a World Cup 🏆 thread purely for football
    And another for ‘political rambles’
    #justsaying
    🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♀️ 🏃🏻
  • Ravel49 said:

I think we need a World Cup 🏆 thread purely for football
    And another for ‘political rambles’
    #justsaying
    🏃‍♂️ 🏃‍♀️ 🏃🏻

Tbh I think we could probably do match threads for the England games and a general "Other matches" thread; we're well past "Pre-amble" imo.
  • Well I’m not starting the England thread after losing the Leicester game 🤣
  • I could start a Canada thread if you like =)
  • Those guys dressed as Knights go to most, if not every, game. Qatar will have to respect our culture.
  • We're an inclusive society. Twonks can be twonks.
  • I mean, really. Maybe German fans can dress up as stormtroopers or something....
  • Why is there so much time added on in these games
  • Collina wants to clamp down on time wasting in matches.
  • Everyone gushing over Bale, he was doing an Antonio for the whole match.
  • Just when you thought we'd reached peak stupid...

FIFA have demanded that Belgium change their away kit by removing the word "love" on the collar and have banned the warm-up kit

Apparently both have the logo of Belgian music festival Tomorrowland which is not a FIFA sponsor
  • edited November 2022
    It's funny cos it's Argentina (and it's a Spurs defender)
  • edited November 2022
    Saudi Arabia score in the 48th minute to cancel out Messi's early penalty, game on. Admittedly Argentina have had 3 (correctly) ruled out for offside, 1 of which was extremely tight.

Argentina's penalty seemed very soft when compared to Maguire's non-award yesterday, as usual, lack of consistency will be a talking point.
  • 2-1 Saudi Arabia 😂🤣😂
  • edited November 2022
    I didn't realise that Lionel Scaloni is Argentina's head coach

I read somewhere that he really enjoyed his loan spell at West Ham - apart from 10 seconds of the 2006 FA Cup - and was in tears when he was told we weren't going to offer him a permanent deal
  • edited November 2022
    Can see another really big number on the board when the added time is shown, as there genuinely has been significant time wasting in this game.

8 minutes it is.
  • edited November 2022
    Ouch, a Saudi defender gets caught by the raised knee of his own keeper who was flying through the air at the time; a genuine stoppage this time, looked really nasty. Will be more than the original 8 minutes added on for sure.
  • More than 13 minutes added which seemed extreme even given the injury.

Not a fan of Saudi Arabia, but always nice to see a big upset, and this one is huge, as long as it's not at England's expense.

2-1 FT.
  • "The first World Cup in the Arab world" says ITV commentator

"Iran and Qatar were disappointing"

Iranians aren't Arabs
  • "The first World Cup in the Arab world" says ITV commentator

"Iran and Qatar were disappointing"

Iranians aren't Arabs

Yeah, very lazy commentating based on more on geography (and even that's not right) than history.
  • And there was me thinking Eriksen playing for Denmark at the WC only 17 months after being resuscitated on the pitch at Euro 2020 was going to be the big story of the day.
  • Eriksen would have to had done a Lazarus to be story of the day.
  • Eriksen would have to had done a Lazarus to be story of the day.

He pretty much did, didn't he?
  • edited November 2022

I see SSN gave Declan the lowest rating of all team members..
    IMO that is rubbish....he has probably the least glamorous role in the team, and perhaps 1 or 2 loose passes etc in 2nd half, but apart from that a 5/10 rating is simply not true IMO......
    Oh well, England off to a very good start is the bigger picture I guess..

The BBC ratings had him tie 5th on 6.78/10. I believe this is a fans poll.
    Saka was top with 8.23.
  • The World Cup so far is a huge success according to Qatari officials. Attendances have exceeded their expectations and for some matches have been twice that of the stadium capacity.
  • IronHerb said:

I see SSN gave Declan the lowest rating of all team members..
    IMO that is rubbish....he has probably the least glamorous role in the team, and perhaps 1 or 2 loose passes etc in 2nd half, but apart from that a 5/10 rating is simply not true IMO......
    Oh well, England off to a very good start is the bigger picture I guess..

The BBC ratings had him tie 5th on 6.78/10. I believe this is a fans poll.
    Saka was top with 8.23.
    IH 👍🏻 I saw that and actually think the fans were more accurate than the SSN team…
    And they say fans know zilch 🤣👍🏻
  • When Clinton Morrisons starting XI had Shaw at CB I think that says it all 🤣
  • Rice's turn to be the main focus on BBC Sport World Cup interviews: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63714460

One part I liked re Bellingham: "I said to him in the tunnel, 'This is your stage, go and flourish. I'll be there behind you to sweep up and give you the ball for you to go and do your thing."
  • I bet he’s never said that to Tomáš Souček