The World Cup Squads and Preamble; And it's ... Live!!

Comments

• The question in my mind is why did they want it, with the building of infrastructure and stuffing of envelopes, it must have cost them a proper fortune and it is not as if they are going to get any “goodwill” out of it.

Personally I think they made a huge mis-calculation; I'm sure they expected that holding such a prestigious event would be nothing but good publicity for the country, but all they've done is raise awareness worldwide of their appalling human rights record that I'm sure many if not most weren't previously aware of. Being honest, Qatar wasn't really on my radar before it was awarded the World Cup, and I suspect I'm not the only one, but now all I've got is a very negative opinion of the country.
    Yes I think this is what happened. Despite being very similar to the UAE in many ways (including all the rights stuff), they don’t have the tourism or appeal. They probably thought all of this would help. If you watch the FIFA doc on Netflix it mentions how they’ve tried to take loads of major sports events. But it’s just meant more focus on what’s wrong in the country.
  • Only think I knew about them really was that they bought up loads of track athletes from Africa.
  • edited November 2022
    Valencia puts Ecuador 1 up then disallowed for offside. Who the hell was offside. Qatari influence?
  • Sign him up 😂
  • Valencia puts Ecuador 1 up

So easy 😳
  • MrsGrey said:

Valencia puts Ecuador 1 up

So easy 😳
    I always liked him. Sorry we let him go. He scored goals!
  • Disallowed for... Offside?

From the replay can't see that at all.
  • Brown envelope….
  • 😂

GOAL RULED OUT! Qatar 0-0 Ecuador
    Erm, the goal has been ruled out for offside. We've only seen one replay of the incident and it must be a foot/toenail of Torres that won the first contact with the goalkeeper flapping off his line.
    There were no lines drawn, so it's hard to be too descriptive of what has just happened.
  • edited November 2022
    At least Ecuador are ahead now 😊

Valencia scores from the spot, even VAR couldn't reverse the decision for the penalty.
  • Since when has Ten Hag been the Qatar manager?
  • Who remembers the goal he scored away to Hull from outside the area which hit the net before his foot had finished the follow through.
  • 2-0 Valencia again.
  • He was at his best when he played with Sakho.
  • Qatar will hopefully be out (either mathematically or effectively) by Friday afternoon 🤞🤞🤞
  • Qatar will hopefully be out (either mathematically or effectively) by Friday afternoon 🤞🤞🤞

Just as well too, as they'll probably not have enough players available for knockout games the way they're collecting yellow cards; dirty team.
  • Valencia down injured now, it's his knee which is never a good sign.
  • The refs always book a lot in the early stages but lighten up as the competition progresses.
  • On the plus side, our ladies (yeah, yeah, I know it's the wrong thread 😂🤣😂) have just broken the deadlock against Leicester with an 88th minute goal 😊.
  • On the stroke of half-time Qatar miss a sitter, but I'm sure he was offside anyway.
  • Can't bear Alan Shearer.
  • Is it just me, or does anyone else think that Dion Dublin should just stick to looking at houses that need doing up?
  • buffy, It would have been poor if we hadn’t won as Leicester are bottom with one point! Fortunately they kept up their record of conceding goals in the last ten minutes. 😁
  • MrsGrey said:

Can't bear Alan Shearer.

What part of being offside is not considered being offside?

This is why ex pro's should not be let within 100 miles of assisting with VAR. "It can't be right" isn't in the laws. 🤦‍♂️
  • buffy, It would have been poor if we hadn’t won as Leicester are bottom with one point! Fortunately they kept up their record of conceding goals in the last ten minutes. 😁

They're not even that good, played 8, lost 8, 0 points.
  • Who remembers the goal he scored away to Hull from outside the area which hit the net before his foot had finished the follow through.

What about at Bournemouth? Payet had scored one of "his" free kicks. We got another in similar position and Valencia decided it was his go and buried it. Happy days.
  • Ironherb, The decision on offside was a snapshot that showed it to be so IF you ignore the two Qatar players behind the ball including the keeper plus one player from each team challenging for it. I froze the tv to gain these facts. 🤷‍♂️
  • But Fortune, your TV isn't set up like VAR.
  • edited November 2022
    Herb, I agree that Shearer was commenting on the actual offside image, that showed the Ecuador player had a leg ahead of the Qatari player. So he was talking tosh

However, as fortune pointed out, if they showed the width of the pitch, I think there were other Qatari players playing him on. Looked like that from what I could see of the BBC coverage with the lines/zones drawn on it.