First Casualty of the 22/23 Sack race

Comments

• If City or Chelsea win the CL and Man U the EL 4th won’t get CL anyway.

I don't see how City winning the CL (whilst being in a CL place in the league) or Man Utd winning the EL (whilst also being in a CL place in the league) will affect 4th place getting CL. Man Utd could be outside of the top 4 and win the EL and 4th would still get CL; it happened this season as Germany had 5 teams in the CL because Frankfurt won the EL last season.

The only way 4th won't get CL is if Chelsea win the CL this season (City are certain to finish top 4) and Man Utd win the EL and finish outside the top 4, a very unlikely set of circumstances.
  • In that case Spurs could miss out on Europe next season with Newcastle, Liverpool and Brighton all looking good to overtake them

If Spurs had beaten Wolves and Saints they'd be 3rd, 5pts ahead of Man U albeit having played two more games

Even more reason for Conte to be fuming, the last time Saints scored three goals in a Premier League match was 9 February 2022 against...Spurs
  • edited March 2023
    So we’ve still got something to play for then?
  • Not sure about that thorn.
    The top 4 are automatic. If a team outside the top 4 wins the ECL they are automatic making it the maximum of 5.
    Only if Chelsea and United both finish outside the top 4 but win the ECL and EL respectively 4th position will fail to qualify.

• If he wants to prove himself, he should take over Oldham Athletic, he does not need the money but what a giggle he could have bringing them back to league 2

Just curious as to why you mention oldham athletic. I have a soft spot for them. Family connection.
  • Nothing to nefarious, I certainly recall watching Oldham at Upton Park, just simply picked a team that used to grace the upper echelons who have fallen by the wayside.

Had not noticed that they had fallen out of League two into the National league.

I also consider myself a Hornchurch fan, given they are heading their league and promotion to the National league south is pretty much in their hands, it is not too fanciful that they could meet up in a couple of seasons.

Regards to your famirial connections :-)

• nefarious

adjective
    (typically of an action or activity) wicked or criminal.
    "the nefarious activities of the organized-crime syndicates"

👍🏻🤓
  • Rodgers sacked by Leicester.
  • Money on Rogers to West Ham if we lose today.
  • Potter gone too now.

Straight to Leicester 🤔
  • Damn. Would have liked Potter.
  • Straight to Leicester 🤔

Sorry, that should have had a question mark. He hasn't gone to Leicester, but I wonder if he will.
  • If I were him I’d sit out until the summer
  • alderz said:

If I were him I’d sit out until the summer

Yeah, I think he should. Take Chelsea's severance money and have a nice holiday. I suspect he'll have loads of options come the end of May. Possibly even one in Stratford.
  • Potter gone too now.

Straight to Leicester 🤔

😱
  • Wow how much will he get for a few months work
  • Tbh I've no idea why they went for him in the first place. Poor decision in a ?long line?
  • MrsGrey said:

Tbh I've no idea why they went for him in the first place. Poor decision in a ?long line?

They seemed to have been going after a lot of Brighton players so I guess it made some sense to go for their manager too; he obviously was getting players to play well and in such a way as to make them attractive to Chelsea.
  • I think Chelsea have acted now so they can get Nagelsmann before he is snapped up by anyone else.
    Potter to go to Spurs who they considered before.
    And Rogers back to Celtic with their current manager going to Leicester.
    All imo of course.
  • Ravel49 said:

I think Chelsea have acted now so they can get Nagelsmann before he is snapped up by anyone else.
    Potter to go to Spurs who they considered before.
    And Rogers back to Celtic with their current manager going to Leicester.
    All imo of course.

Nicely done. And entirely feasible.

When we getting Carrick?
  • @Ravel49, So who do we get then - Pochettino?
  • Sadly Moyes is here FOREVER!
  • Ravel49 said:

Sadly Moyes is here FOREVER!

• MrsGrey said:

Tbh I've no idea why they went for him in the first place. Poor decision in a ?long line?

They seemed to have been going after a lot of Brighton players so I guess it made some sense to go for their manager too; he obviously was getting players to play well and in such a way as to make them attractive to Chelsea.
    Some sense... But he was manager of those players when the team couldn't score goals.
    So, yes, they got what they paid for.

( I know they spent a gazillion pounds on other players too...)
  • Potters sacking was inevitable as his stats were getting too bad to find excuses for. I think he is a decent manager but clearly not top notch. There seems to be something in the personality of a manager which dictates them being able to enter that highest level. I guess an example is Mourinho as love him or hate him he really had that x factor as manager. Alex Ferguson, Pep, Wenger, Kloop are all good examples. I think they just seem to take man management to a different level and instill a little bit of what they have in them into the players as they take to the pitch. Potter clearly doesn't have that and neither did Moyes at Man Utd. I am not sure top players respond to them as well as those others mentioned.
  • Lots of people on the Leicester forum think Potter is going to walk straight into their job. I can't see this for the following reasons. I think he has been highly stressed at Chelsea and will be due a very big pay off so not sure he wants to risk his reputation and mental health further by going straight into a relegation battle. He will also have entered into a negotiation regard that pay off, one in which accepting a new position immediately will undermine.
  • edited April 2023
    Boehly hired Potter because after 6 games Brighton were 4th and Chelsea were 6th

What Boehly didn't (and probably never will) understand is that it took Potter three seasons to build a team at Brighton good enough to challenge the top six

MotD2 highlighted that Chelsea have signed 17 players this season and asked how any manager could be expected to form a team with so many new additions. Nobody could have sorted out that mess mid-season but whoever replaces Potter will have time over the summer break and might have more success.

Its worth remembering that in December 1989 Man Utd lost four games and drew two. They were 15th, 2 points above the relegation zone and just about everyone was predicting that SAF would get sacked after three years in charge.

Maybe owners had a bit more patience back then
  • Potter is not the sort of manager you appoint mid season.
  • I don't think it would have mattered who they appointed or when, the manager is still going to have to deal with an owner who thinks that every problem can be solved by spending more and more money

Chelsea have appointed Bruno Saltor Grau as interim manager. He was a Brighton player, became a coach when he retired in 2019 then moved to Chelsea with Potter

Potter took four other staff from Brighton to Chelsea, two followed Potter from Swansea to Brighton while assistant manager Billy Reid had been with Potter since 2013 at Ostersund and has left Chelsea with his boss.

Good luck, Bruno, you're going to need it!
  • "MotD2 highlighted that Chelsea have signed 17 players this season"

And I believe that only 3 of them were English.
    #Too many furriners. =)
This discussion has been closed.