The Transfer Window

Comments

• 3rd kit launch this month too. I expect they'll tie that in with a new signing.

They didn't.
  • So where are we at with our targets - Kehrer off to Sevilla? Emerson is one of a few left backs we are looking at & we have submitted a low offer for Vanaken. Bruges rejected it & don't want to sell but he is interested in the move. Looking forward to the last day of the window when we unveil our massive panic buy.
  • 3rd kit launch this month too. I expect they'll tie that in with a new signing.

They didn't.
    They did, Scamacca was in the shoot 😂
  • edited August 2022

So where are we at with our targets - Kehrer off to Sevilla? Emerson is one of a few left backs we are looking at & we have submitted a low offer for Vanaken. Bruges rejected it & don't want to sell but he is interested in the move. Looking forward to the last day of the window when we unveil our massive panic buy.

I'm confident that we'll sign Kehrer and Emerson; my issue is how long we're taking, particularly over the former.

We go into an important ECL qualifier with no LB and one (possibly) fit CB. We've reportedly been talking to PSG and Kehrer for over a week now so I'd like to know what's taking so long. I would have thought we'd be pushing really hard to get it done ASAP if he's Moyes's main target and especially given our CB situation and rumours of Sevilla being interested. Maybe they have been, but it certainly doesn't feel like it.
  • Lot of talk on Twitter about the bids we are making for players being rejected & players seeming to be very different to the next player we target; Ward-Prowse, Zielinski, Onana, Nunes, Vanaken. Is there a clear type of CM/AM we are looking for or is there a contraction in who wants who at boardroom/recruitment level. Plus this idea that if we can bid £30m for Onana & Nunes, why are we now bidding £8m for Vanaken?
  • Only thing with Vanaken is we have obviously tracked him a while, £13m bid rejected in 2020 around the time we signed Coufal.
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12086616/west-ham-have-13m-vanaken-bid-rejected
  • edited August 2022
    Lukerz said:

Lot of talk on Twitter about the bids we are making for players being rejected & players seeming to be very different to the next player we target; Ward-Prowse, Zielinski, Onana, Nunes, Vanaken. Is there a clear type of CM/AM we are looking for or is there a contraction in who wants who at boardroom/recruitment level. Plus this idea that if we can bid £30m for Onana & Nunes, why are we now bidding £8m for Vanaken?

That's what I find a bit weird. We were prepared to commit £35m on Onana, but we don't seem to now be in for a young Onana-type DM player. The next bid is for an experienced AM. Not to say we're not looking at both positions, but what's the priority?

Similar to the CF situation. Chasing Broja, who is a quick, direct runner who plays the channels, but then sign Scamacca, who is a different player altogether. Again, it might be that we're still keen on Broja, but it does seem a bit unclear as to what our strategy is and is why the term scattergun gets thrown around.
  • OCS/Lukerz, How much money is there left? We made the bid for Onana & have since sold Diop so it should be a decent amount. Is a thought that we sign Emerson, who I am a bit blah about, so we can then get Broja on loan on the 3st? Did we go for Onana to allow one of SouRice to play further up the pitch but then turned to Nunes with the plan that one of them would play as a CDM instead? £13 million wasn't enough in 2020 for Vanaken so they have now return with a reduced offer two years later, understandable but do we really want him otherwise make a better bid.
  • Depends on who you believe Fortune. One of the KUMB ITKs reckons we had a budget of £150m at the start of the summer, so £163m including the Diop money. We've signed:

Areola £11m
    Aguerd £30m
    Downes £12m
    Scamacca £30m
    Cornet £17m

So £100m spent, with Emerson (£13m) and Kehrer (£10m) supposedly agreed, which means we could still have £40m to spend.

If, however, you accept we had a £100m budget, then we're potless.
  • Kehrer medical today, according to Ex. Rumours that Kehrer's been in London since Sunday.
  • Kehrer medical today, according to Ex. Rumours that Kehrer's been in London since Sunday.

Although also seen that a fee still has been agreed with PSG, so who knows.
  • I know they are only rumours but it's being reported IF we sign Vanaken (30 on 24/8) then Bruges will try to buy Berge (24) & Romano is saying Sevilla are now going for Nianzou (20) from Bayern Munich who is rated a better defender than Kehrer (25)? Shouldn't we have gone for Nianzou who Bayern are willing to loan him out?
  • So could be looking at:

Fabianski/Areola
    Coufal/Johnson
    Zouma/Dawson
    Aguerd/Kehrer
    Cresswell/Emerson
    Soucek/Downes
    Rice/Vanaken
    Bowen/
    Fornals/Lanzini
    Benrahma/Cornet
    Antonio/Scamacca
  • Lukerz said:

So could be looking at:

Fabianski/Areola
    Coufal/Johnson
    Zouma/Dawson
    Aguerd/Kehrer
    Cresswell/Emerson
    Soucek/Downes
    Rice/Vanaken
    Bowen/
    Fornals/Lanzini
    Benrahma/Cornet
    Antonio/Scamacca

Coming together quite nicely, but if I was being greedy I'd like to see a Lanzini upgrade (unless Vanaken can double-hat as a CM and an AM), and yeah, ideally cover/competition for Bowen (unless, again, Cornet will double-hat as cover on both sides).
  • Medical today, has been in the UK since Sunday so shouldn’t take too long to announce.
  • Media @ WHUFC could have had him announced in the new Third kit IF we are that close. =)
  • I know they are only rumours but it's being reported IF we sign Vanaken (30 on 24/8) then Bruges will try to buy Berge (24) & Romano is saying Sevilla are now going for Nianzou (20) from Bayern Munich who is rated a better defender than Kehrer (25)? Shouldn't we have gone for Nianzou who Bayern are willing to loan him out?

Nianzou is going for £17m, apparently, which may be the reason we weren't biting.
  • Media @ WHUFC could have had him announced in the new Third kit IF we are that close. =)

That would mean multi tasking. I would rather they just look after the announcing bit.
  • Well Nianzou has about 10 professional starts in his career compared to Kehrer who has over 100

So Nianzou may be the better long term option with the higher ceiling but Kehrer is more likely to be ready right now which is our immediate concern
  • edited August 2022
    When everybody fit, a back 3?

Areola
    Kehrer - Zouma - Aguerd
    Johnson - Soucek - Rice - Emerson
    Bowen - Fornals
    Antonio

Fabianski, Dawson, Coufal, Cresswell, Downes, Lanzini, Benrahma, Cornet, Scamacca

If we sign Vanaken, you could arguably swap him for Soucek & swap Rice to the RCM. Vanaken is sort of a left-sided deep-lying playmaker.
  • Lukerz, surely with everyone fit Cornet and Scamacca start?
  • edited August 2022
    IF we are going to play a back 3 then the question is why aren’t we going for Sosa more IMHO? Scamacca should start as should the two new CB’s possibly Kehrer fills in at FB? Cornet for Benrahma unless the latter maintains a high level of performance. New CM to push Soucek for a starting place especially if they are a more creative player.

The media dept. couldn't spell Scammaca's name correctly, so I wouldn't assume they know what's going on
  • I was never that impressed by Emerson Palmieri.

Surely Gnidrolog or Fruupp would be cheaper options?
  • edited August 2022
    adecoker said:

I was never that impressed by Emerson Palmieri.

Surely Gnidrolog or Fruupp would be cheaper options?

I've heard Forest have already agreed terms with Fruupp...
  • adecoker, Where do they play ………the Faroe Islands? 😃
  • edited August 2022
    West Ham agree deal for PSG's Kehrer
    West Ham have agreed a deal to sign PSG defender Thilo Kehrer.
    The fee is believed to be €12m (£10m) plus add-ons. Kehrer has arrived in London for a medical and to finalise personal terms.
    West Ham hope to complete the deal in time for Kehrer to be available for Thursday night’s Europa Conference League qualifier against Viborg.

Does anyone actually think he will be involved on Thursday given he would have had little to no time to train with the team 🤨
This discussion has been closed.