The Transfer Window

Comments

• Ain't nothing but a G thing, baby 🎶
  • I’m not sure how I feel about Kehrer, Emerson & Vanaken. Scream a little bit ‘squad fillers’ to me.
  • But that's basically where we are now. Two weeks of the window left? Almost at the 'beggars can't be choosers' stage. Moyes knows he can't compete on four fronts with the squad he's got, so will have to make compromises if we haven't been able to get our top choices in.
  • Are they better than Vlasic, Yarmo, Diop, Karl, Masuaku and Fredericks? Probably are, so a step forward.
  • And Ali G!
  • I think we did a lot of our "improvement signings" already. The first 11 wasn't really touched so Aguerd, Scamacca, Cornet and Downes were to improve the subs and compete for that first 11. The rest are to strengthen the squad and hopefully better filler than the previous, almost useless, filler.

Though I think the left back needs to be a good one and I'm unsure about Emerson is much different to Masuaku.
  • I think I have to disagree with that. Aguerd and Scamacca are first team signings imo. Cornet maybe slightly less so and Downes a squad player.
  • The Athletic are reporting that Oko-Flex and Longelo are going out on loan.

As always, it's a dangerous assumption, but hopefully it means we're close to bring in a left back and an attacking midfielder (Emerson and Vanaken?).
  • In simple terms for me
    Starting XI is stronger
    Overall squad is weaker for now
    But the window is still open..
  • IronHerb said:

I think I have to disagree with that. Aguerd and Scamacca are first team signings imo. Cornet maybe slightly less so and Downes a squad player.

It's the same effect. My point is the first team wasn't weakened and these signings *at least* should improve the bench and aren't just filler.
  • edited August 2022
    Ravel49 said:

In simple terms for me
    Starting XI is stronger
    Overall squad is weaker for now
    But the window is still open..

How is the starting XI stronger? The starting players on Sunday were all here last year. The window is still open, but the season is well underway!
  • Scamacca is an improvement on Antonio for me
    And Aguerd improves the defence
    I’m thinking of when all fit and available that is stronger.. IMO
  • Plus ideally the window needs to shut before the season starts..
    But it needs the rest of the European leagues to agree to that..
  • My belief has always been that you need two new first team players, who are improvements on those being replaced, just to stand still. Then any additions need to improve the first team or the squad. In Areola, Aguerd, scamacca and Cornet I think we have done that. Downes I think is a squad player in the Noble mould who will play a decent amount of cup football.
    Good old Seth on Sky is saying we may have three new players in this week. Let's hope so, then we can go for that extravagant late window signing.
  • Herb, you don't 'alf write some sensible stuff now and again. ;)
  • I surprise myself sometimes. 😂
  • 3rd kit launch this month too. I expect they'll tie that in with a new signing.
  • I thought ex said 3rd kit this week
  • Hamstew said:

I thought ex said 3rd kit this week

OK, with the three new signings.
  • This will appear churlish especially after we have signed Cornet, Scamacca & Aguerd, & I expect I should wait until our new signings are seen in our kit, but does anyone else think we have reached the stage where we could be now turning to a few recruits from the bottom of our list? Who is going to be a creative spark in the team? We could do with finding a Payet from somewhere. Last week we were linked with Nunes who now appears to be the "we tried but couldn't get him" story. Kehrer or Szalai look a good option but I am not too sure about Emerson, did we really look at Sosa, him not being as strong as we need defensively could be the reason. Is Vanaken Soucek's replacement?
  • Ex on Twitter, £13m for Emerson
  • I think Emerson is decent, he’s just not as good as Chilwell. I might look at his stats tomorrow
  • Emerson would be a syeal at £13m.
    Hope we get him.
  • Reports Nunes is joining Wolves to add to their Portuguese numbers but that aside why aren’t we a better option for him? 🤷‍♂️
  • Reports Nunes is joining Wolves to add to their Portuguese numbers but that aside why aren’t we a better option for him? 🤷‍♂️

Maybe because he's not that good?

Can't say I've ever seen him play but heard his names linked to a Liverpool, City, Chelsea but looks like he's going to end up at Wolves

Seems odd unless he's just not worth the fee for those teams
  • Wolves have a very strong connection with the Portuguese market, plus agents. Their manager is Portuguese, they have several Portuguese players. Don’t they have owners with links to Portugal?

Signing players is more complex than many believe. I’ve never watched him so can’t say I’m fussed.

Maybe because he's not that good?

Can't say I've ever seen him play but heard his names linked to a Liverpool, City, Chelsea but looks like he's going to end up at Wolves

Seems odd unless he's just not worth the fee for those teams
    Moyes confirmed we went for him but he didn't want to come, which is what I think Fortune's question is about. So it wasn't about whether we thought he was good enough.

Think the answer is probably what Lukerz says.
  • And Ali G!

And just a little bit of Gina G - ooh ah !
  • And Ali G!

And just a little bit of Gina G - ooh ah !
    And maybe a little bit more?
  • Always so exciting that third kit launch.🎉
This discussion has been closed.