The Transfer Window

Comments

• Given Moyes couldn't guarantee Onana game time, hence why he went to Everton, it's difficult to imagine him as anyone's replacement, in the short-term at least.

Noble was Rice and Soucek's cover last season, and 3rd choice starter. Onana would have replaced Noble in that role this season, IMO.
  • IronHerb said:

I thought Onana was cover / replacement for Rice and Soucek. Never saw him as a Noble replacement.

Imo Onana woulda replaced Noble as our 3rd choice CM and woulda provided better cover/rotation for Rice and Soucek. I'm not saying he woulda been an exact copy of Noble's playing style, simply that he would have been most likely to come in if Rice or Soucek wasn't available in the same way that Noble was last season, even if he (Noble) wasn't particularly similar to either Rice or Soucek.
  • I think Onana went for the money but whether he joined us or Everton (at his age and potential hes said to have) he probably saw both as a short term stepping stone. So if that were the case, we've missed out on a decent profit but I'm cool that he's not come here.
  • I agree with OCS, if Onana had joined us he would have been third choice behind Rice and Soucek or maybe fourth choice behind Downes

At Everton he possibly has a better chance of getting more playing time

I doubt if Everton could offer him significantly more money than we could, according to Forbes both clubs are valued about the same and Everton made a £15m loss last year while we made a £30m profit
  • edited August 2022
    Picking up on various stories, it sounds like Dawson's injury may be worse than the club originally thought. Not sure how bad it is or for how long he'll be out, but is there a chance we end up signing two more CBs this month?

For the season we were probably looking at Zouma/Dawson and Aguerd/Ogbonna as our CB options. One is said to be out for three months, one out for an undisclosed amount of time and one still a number of weeks away.

So best case it sounds like Og is closest to a return, but with no senior first team football for ten months, how much can we trust his fitness?

So we need one to replace Diop, but do we need another to give Aguerd, Og and Dawson time to recover without the risk if having to rush them back? It would mean six CBs on the books, but with Og and Dawson out of contract next season, it would at least represent some succession planning.
  • BBC are reporting Everton are trying to complete four signings in a week. Imagine if we could do something like that. 😁
  • We may well be doing something like that ie trying to complete 4 signings. Trying doesn’t, as we will know, mean success v
  • Moyes said Oggy was 3-4 weeks away last Friday so that's now 2-3 weeks and being optimistic he could be available for Villa on the 28th

He played 90 minutes with the U21s last Friday, there's a PL2 match against Arsenal today and another against Leicester next Friday which would give him a chance to build up his fitness

Aguerd was "3 months" three weeks ago so its now closer to two months, could be back by the middle of October

As for Dawson I'll wait to see what Moyes says at the press conference (probably nothing)
  • Forest are not letting up it seems. How much money do they have lol.
  • 324 new players is some going
  • They've spent less than us.
  • Moyes said Oggy was 3-4 weeks away last Friday so that's now 2-3 weeks and being optimistic he could be available for Villa on the 28th

Not picking hairs, but what Moyes actually said was:

"He’s coming along nicely and hopefully in three or four weeks will be much closer."

Given the very long road to recovery he's been on, getting "much closer" doesn't, to me, mean he'll be anywhere near starting in that time frame, more like he'll re-assess then and hopefully some progress has been made.
  • Equally, Moyes has a history of saying something & it not being the case. I wouldn’t he surprised to see him in the squad against Brighton.
  • I think the fact Ogbonna has played for the PL2 side suggests that "much closer" is "ready to return". Let's say he trains unscathed, and plays for the PL2 side for another 2/3 weeks. Surely that's someone who's ready to return?
  • Well it seems clear we're seriously after a Kehrer and other CB options as back-up

So I doubt the club aren't being proactive

But I don't expect it to be done immediately as the club are looking at a CB for the next 3/4 years not for Forest away
  • It must make it harder when it's obvious you're desperate to get a signing done quickly. Agents and clubs can probably drive the price up a bit if you're super keen.
  • edited August 2022
    Which is why we need to exude calm. I get the 24/7 news world we live in means fans get inpatient. We just have to wait.

We go into Forest with a very capable 11. It’s going to be a tough game. Ideally, we don’t play with Johnson at CB but, other than that, it’s largely the same 11 that has done well over the last two years, in their preferred positions. We can either go with a back 3 (Johnson-Zouma-Cresswell) or a back 2. Johnson did ok v Chelsea as a RCB last season & ok against City last week as a CB. We have Downes, Cornet & Scamacca to call upon.

We go again next week trying to bring targets in.
  • Hamstew said:

It must make it harder when it's obvious you're desperate to get a signing done quickly. Agents and clubs can probably drive the price up a bit if you're super keen.

Think that's the exact reason why we are negotiating not just paying whatever the selling club want

Don't need to spend 20% or more premium if we don't have to
  • Football Insider has identified us as the "mid table" London club offering Memphis Dupay £200k pw
  • Daily Mail now claiming that the rumour of our bid for Dupay "has been denied" but hasn't said exactly who has denied it
  • Hamstew said:

It must make it harder when it's obvious you're desperate to get a signing done quickly. Agents and clubs can probably drive the price up a bit if you're super keen.

Think that's the exact reason why we are negotiating not just paying whatever the selling club want

Don't need to spend 20% or more premium if we don't have to
    Especially when we give 20% or more discount when we sell.
  • Football Insider has identified us as the "mid table" London club offering Memphis Dupay £200k pw

Since we need a CB before a forward, it doesn't make sense unless Moyes is following the proverbial "best form of defence is attack" idea.
  • Excellent. Glad those rumours have been put to bed. Neither was likely so hopefully we're concentrating on achievable deals.
  • I don’t think Depay is very good either
  • Moyes provides updates on Kehrer, Nunes & Depay
    West Ham manager David Moyes has confirmed: “We are not any further forward with [Thilo Kehrer] at the moment, but we are progressing it.”
  • That’s a new one; progressing without moving forward.

Are we mid table? That's currently Brentford and Palace isn't it?
  • edited August 2022
    Two bits from BBC

Forest agree £20m deal for Emmanuel Dennis
    Another one we can cross off the list

Tuchel might try to get Aubameyang, managed him at Dortmund
    So Broja still possible
  • I don’t think Depay is very good either

And as for the working conditions
    ..... OK, pass the coat

😁
This discussion has been closed.