The Transfer Window

Comments

• I believe Onana would not come to us because he was not guaranteed game time even though West Ham was his first choice. This is gonna be a problem too in attracting top players.
    Being a manager is tough, and I think Moyes overall has been excellent. However he does like to deal with small squads which is risky business.
  • edited August 2022
    IronHerb, No I don't think it does?

https://tinyurl.com/yckkpvu8

I reckon this is a fair explanation of why people are concerned about the current transfer dealings at the London Stadium. I appreciate some aren't going to agree but it's one persons opinion.
  • edited August 2022
    Slacker,
    As alderz says, people on here, more than any other forum, generally articulate their reasons really well as to why they're frustrated about any given situation. You may not agree, which is of course your prerogative, but I don't think it's necessary to belittle others views by the language you use.
  • IronHerb, No I don't think it does?

https://tinyurl.com/yckkpvu8

I reckon this is a fair explanation of why people are concerned about the current transfer dealings at the London Stadium. I appreciate some aren't going to agree but it's one persons opinion.

Sorry Fortune but not sure what the website is.🤔
  • Exeter I don’t think that’s the case. I think money is the big stumbling block. It was reported that Onana’s sister, one half of his agent’s company, wanted a salary of £150k and Moyes wouldn’t pay it. No player, whoever he is, should be guaranteed game time because as we all know form is temporary.
    Onana’s reasoning that he thought he could learn from Lampard because he was a midfielder doesn’t wash with me.
  • House of commons :) ORDER ORDER
  • Exeter I don’t think that’s the case. I think money is the big stumbling block. It was reported that Onana’s sister, one half of his agent’s company, wanted a salary of £150k and Moyes wouldn’t pay it. No player, whoever he is, should be guaranteed game time because as we all know form is temporary.
    Onana’s reasoning that he thought he could learn from Lampard because he was a midfielder doesn’t wash with me.

I disagree thorn. It's widely reported he wanted guaranteed match time so he can get into the Belgium World Cup squad. Moyes wouldn't guarantor that.
  • Tielemans anybody? Apparently £20m may get him?
  • In the interview I saw with Moyes he said he did n't want to sign players just to boost the squad no's for the sake of it, he wants to sign players that will improve the first 11 . He said he would rather wait and use the money later if he could n't get what he wanted. This approach has left us short but hopefully long term will lead to a better team. Say we signed 3 squad players who not good enough for 1st 11 and only come one occasionally bit like Yarmo/Noble etc that could easily be £25 mio plus wages which come the next window means we can't sign another first 11 players as we have spent that money /wages. I can see his reasoning but short term its frustrating when we have limited bench options but long term hopefully it will pay off.
  • Lukerz said:

24 players

Now you can argue Trott, Coventry, Okoflex & Ashby should not be options, but Trott has a squad number & has not been loaned out yet, Coventry, Okoflex & Ashby were all in the squad Sunday.

The squad is not in as bad a shape as the noise being made suggests. It’s short of a couple of options. Clearly, we probably want to upgrade on Coventry & Ashby, but then how do we give the most promising academy players a chance? We may also want another AM or wide player (better than Lanzini & Benrahma), but we do have options there.

Let's be honest, those 4 are only going to be used if someone breaks a leg (Coventry as an injury time sub on Sunday felt like trying to make a point), Trott's the 4th keeper regardless of whether he has a number or not (could be that Randolph goes instead of him). So that's realistically 20 senior players, of which at least 2 are long term injured (Aguerd 2+ months, and Ogbonna with be closer in a month (closer to what, certainly not full match fitness as something else was implied)).

In addition we had Dawson missing the last match and we know he's been managing a long term injury, and Antonio started the match with strapping to his knee. So I don't think the noise is unwarranted at all; we saw last season that Moyes is very reluctant to use players he has any doubts about, so padding the bench doesn't mean that we realistically have subs to be used.

Without Dawson, we have 17 senior players (including Antonio, and Downes who Moyes even said when he signed that he was not for right now, but I'm being generous), of whom 3 are keepers. 12 fit senior outfield players, plus Antonio with strapping and Downes who is not really for now.

How is that squad not in bad shape?

Get your point. I just think when you start saying ‘if scenario a, b, c or d happens’, it’s hard to make arrangements.
  • IronHerb, It's a video I found on the "Hammers Chat Forum" found on You Tube.
  • OCS, Good point well made. I have noticed a few contributors who used to share similar views to me on certain topics aren't on here anymore, unless they have changed their "usernames". It is frustrating that we can't see everything in the same way but "C'est la vie".
    I really don't want to go into another campaign gambling that we won't get injuries in key areas, that has already failed, so I hope DM can find the players he wants before the end of the month otherwise a small squad will not achieve what I am hoping for.
  • IronHerb, It's a video I found on the "Hammers Chat Forum" found on You Tube.

When I click on it I get directed to - https://web.spitch.live/#/ which looks like an international FF game. 😳
  • yoyo said:

House of commons :) ORDER ORDER

Right - I'll have a pint of Mighty Oak's Captain Bob, wait, make that two pints. =)
  • IronHerb said:

Exeter I don’t think that’s the case. I think money is the big stumbling block. It was reported that Onana’s sister, one half of his agent’s company, wanted a salary of £150k and Moyes wouldn’t pay it. No player, whoever he is, should be guaranteed game time because as we all know form is temporary.

I disagree thorn. It's widely reported he wanted guaranteed match time so he can get into the Belgium World Cup squad. Moyes wouldn't guarantor that.
    I saw that Ex said this but I think he also said the wages concern was also true.
  • That’s what she said
  • IronHerb, Sorry I thought the link would take you to the video so try going via You Tube. That’s how I found it under “Hammers Chat Forum”. 👍
  • Left Back + CM + Dennis (i hope Moyes sees the light on this one before Forest get in there)

and we will have adequate back up for most positions.
  • According to some reports Moyes has ruled out Dennis as the club have doubts over his character so I guess they think he will disrupt the bond that’s there.
  • Can anyone remember why the club doesn’t do business with Spurs anymore?
    I did a quick search but couldn’t find anything.
    Sergio Reguilón would be the perfect LB/LWB who is currently out of favour.
  • According to some reports Moyes has ruled out Dennis as the club have doubts over his character so I guess they think he will disrupt the bond that’s there.

According to some reports Moyes has ruled out Dennis as the club have doubts over his character so I guess they think he will disrupt the bond that’s there.

No loss, don’t particularly rate him
  • Gallagher I beg. Imagine how annoyed the Palace fans would be (evil laugh)
  • Just heard Palace are in for him.
  • Lukerz said:

Get your point. I just think when you start saying ‘if scenario a, b, c or d happens’, it’s hard to make arrangements.

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not talking about scenarios, I'm talking about the actual shape and size of the squad atm, and it's really pretty poor just now. 12 outfield players, 13 if Antonio makes it and 14, a maximum of 14, if we include Downes who is the Kral, not the Noble, replacement and was intended to be eased into the squad as the season progresses.
  • Ravel49 said:

Can anyone remember why the club doesn’t do business with Spurs anymore?

Nooooooo! Horrible player.

• Ravel49 said:

Can anyone remember why the club doesn’t do business with Spurs anymore?

I thought it was rumored that Levy said he would never deal with us.
  • Lukerz said:

If we include Downes who is the Kral, not the Noble, replacement and was intended to be eased into the squad as the season progresses.
    Fun fact, Downes & Coventry have played 1 min each of Premier league football this season......the same as Kral got throughout the entire 21/22 season (stats: whoscred, doesn't include minutes after the 90th min)

I think Coventry is the Kral replacement
  • edited August 2022

Fun fact, Downes & Coventry have played 1 min each of Premier league football this season......the same as Kral got throughout the entire 21/22 season (stats: whoscred, doesn't include minutes after the 90th min)

I think Coventry is the Kral replacement

If we were prepared to drop £35m on Onana, then Downes is obviously not replacing Noble as our 3rd choice CM. Coventry could hardly get a game during his Championship loan, so he's behind Downes. Thus Noble is yet to be replaced/upgraded, and Downes replaces Kral.

Coventry goes back out on loan imo.
  • I thought Onana was cover / replacement for Rice and Soucek. Never saw him as a Noble replacement.
This discussion has been closed.