The Transfer Window

Comments

• IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

Certainly brave decision making to allow Diop, Masuaku, Vlasic to go before signing replacements. But there you go!

Funny though that those three, along with the earlier leavers, were generally considered dead wood. They are being replaced, slowly, and there are still 23 days to go in the window. Plenty of time.
    Moyes seems to believe that we need at least four players, if not more. The speed at which we do deals, can you honestly see 23 days being enough to bring those players in?
    Absolutely.
  • Hope you're right.
  • OCS, He better be. 😬
  • IronHerb said:

Must say I'm envious of Everton for getting Tarkowski and Coady for the grand total of £0.00p. That's brilliant business.

I think Coadys on a downward decline slope. I wonder why he can't get into Wolves first team? Would he be an upgrade player type of deal that we're looking for? Both of them are pushing thirty and that also doesn't fit into the buying of younger players that it seems we're (rightly) doing.

Also, I wonder how much 'Lingard' money was involved for Tarkowski plus what sort of fee there was for Coady. I am not saying both players suck, but I am not that bothered we don't have them
  • From what I've read, it seems like Coady is only useful in a back 3, and when Wolves had used a back 2 he's been poor...hence why they're letting him leave as they're transitioning to a back 2 this season

So while I do think we will use a back 3 during the season, still not sure that we will use it week in week out, still feel 433/4231 is the prefered option....so Coady doesn't really make sense

Tarkowski is far from "free"
    Free transfer only means that the clubs get no money, he's probably got a fat contract where he's making 30% more than he's actually worth and him and his agent probably got some big signing on fees

Think they'd be good back up options, but the duo we seems most interested in Kehrer and Szalai are a few years younger and both appear to be versatile in they can cover at full back so they seem to fit the bill better
  • Borna Sosa linked a lot this morning
  • Borna Sosa linked a lot this morning

By anyone reputable, PLF?

His name's been knocking around for a while but I've not seen any strong links. He looks to be a very good option for us. Has played LB and LWB for Stuttgart, has 20 G/A in 66 Bundesliga games and is over 6' which means in theory, he'll be able to defend the back post a lot better than Cresswell.
  • edited August 2022
    From one of the many clickbait sites but I have read this on other reports -

Sosa could be an incredibly exciting signing for West Ham if they now agree a deal. The defensive side of his game is not the most impressive. But he is absolutely outstanding in the left wing-back role.

He has provided 17 assists across the last two seasons in the Bundesliga. Sosa is someone who makes a real impact in the final third.

Great going forward but is he the answer to our LB quest or is Cornet not going to play LWB? Best not get ahead of myself here as he could yet end up on the Tyne.
  • In Cornet's interview on the OS he said that he prefers to play further up the pitch and score goals. I'm assuming he had that conversation with Moyes before he signed so is expecting to be more of a LW than a LWB.

If so, it suggests a 4-3-3, which means we'll be playing with a more conventional LB. Which it doesn't sound like Sosa is.

Or, maybe, Moyes wants Sosa and Cornet as LWB options in a back five.

I get that Moyes wants versatility across the pitch, which I understand given his preference for a smaller squad.

alderz - any chance you could get one of those percentile things for Sosa? I'd be interested to see how good/bad he is defensively (statistically at least).
  • edited August 2022
    Kehrer, Eric Bailly & Szalai the top 3 targets (in that order) it seems (according to an article I just read which commented we’d offered £12m for Szalai but he is not our first option & no deal agreed officially as yet). We have offers in for Kehrer & Szalai & Bailly may be available for loan/under £10m.

Ollie Watkins fallen out with Gerrard. Worth a loan offer?
  • In Cornet's interview on the OS he said that he prefers to play further up the pitch and score goals. I'm assuming he had that conversation with Moyes before he signed so is expecting to be more of a LW than a LWB.

If so, it suggests a 4-3-3, which means we'll be playing with a more conventional LB. Which it doesn't sound like Sosa is.

Or, maybe, Moyes wants Sosa and Cornet as LWB options in a back five.

I get that Moyes wants versatility across the pitch, which I understand given his preference for a smaller squad.

alderz - any chance you could get one of those percentile things for Sosa? I'd be interested to see how good/bad he is defensively (statistically at least).

Yeah I don’t think you stick a guy with 9 goals in 26 games at LB or LWB. If he can help out defensively, like Bowen does, it doesn’t really matter anwyay.
  • Lukerz said:

Kehrer, Eric Bailly & Szalai the top 3 targets (in that order) it seems (according to an article I just read which commented we’d offered £12m for Szalai but he is not our first option & no deal agreed officially as yet). We have offers in for Kehrer & Szalai & Bailly may be available for loan/under £10m.

Watkins worth a buy rather than a loan. Hes got a great work ethic, good link up play too and before being moved central he was left a sided forward. He would be a great addition in my opinion
  • With three of our five CBs already injured, I'd lose my mind if we signed Bailly. Fella's got two pages of injuries on Transfermarkt:

188 career appearances in 8 years, averaging 23 games a year. Too big a risk, IMO.
  • So looks like, realistically, we need a CB in having a medical by tomorrow lunchtime to have a chance of getting the deal announced by 12pm Friday.

Likely?
  • Lukerz said:

So looks like, realistically, we need a CB in having a medical by tomorrow lunchtime to have a chance of getting the deal announced by 12pm Friday.

Likely?

I'd say no but I know nuffink
  • Bazshuayi said:

Lukerz said:

Watkins worth a buy rather than a loan. Hes got a great work ethic, good link up play too and before being moved central he was left a sided forward. He would be a great addition in my opinion

But will he play? Given he'll want games ahead of the World Cup, will he get that with us?

Arguably he starts ahead of Antonio based on recent form, but what about Scamacca? And if Moyes plays him on the left, where does that leave Cornet?

I think Moyes would have rather brought in Watkins than Scamacca if he had the choice, but now the latter is here, I can't see us getting another PL striker in (unless Antonio is binned off).
  • Lukerz said:

So looks like, realistically, we need a CB in having a medical by tomorrow lunchtime to have a chance of getting the deal announced by 12pm Friday.

Likely?

Not a chance, IMO. There seems to have been a pattern with most of our signings in terms of how the news breaks, and it goes on for days. For us to sign anyone by midday Friday I would expect to read that a bid's been accepted today, and by the sounds of it nothing is close.
  • Lukerz said:

Likely?

Not a chance, IMO. There seems to have been a pattern with most of our signings in terms of how the news breaks, and it goes on for days. For us to sign anyone by midday Friday I would expect to read that a bid's been accepted today, and by the sounds of it nothing is close.
    Like we did for Downes?
  • alderz - any chance you could get one of those percentile things for Sosa? I'd be interested to see how good/bad he is defensively (statistically at least).

Excellent going forward. Like, really excellent.

But very not excellent going backwards.

This is all from FBREF, so take a look at extra stats at your leisure.

https://fbref.com/en/players/af0d79a9/scout/365_euro/Borna-Sosa-Scouting-Report
  • Also, for clarity, shot creating action is when a player doesn’t something in one of the two actions immediately before a shot - i.e. dribble or pass or tackle, then a maximum of one other action happens, then a shot. Goal creating action is the same, but only counts when that shot goes in the goal.
  • In general OCS is correct, MAJORITY of our transfers are long winded for sure, No debating that ⚒️
  • Yep OCS did say with most not all.
  • edited August 2022
    IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

Likely?

Like we did for Downes?
    Downes was the outlier, because from what I understand we just basically offered him Palace's contract.

But it does prove the point that we can get deals done quickly. To address Lukerz's original point, do you think we'll have someone in by Friday lunchtime?

Ps - cheers alderz for the Sosa details and link 👍 So if we're genuinely in for him it would suggest that Moyes is going for a back three.
  • I may be wrong

But the Soucek/Coufal/Vlasic transfers all seemed to be wrapped up fairly quick from getting linked to signing permanently

• But it does prove the point that we can get deals done quickly. To address Lukerz's original point, do you think we'll have someone in by Friday lunchtime?

I don't know and I'm not going to get worked up worrying about it. If we do all well and good. If we don't then we'll work around it.
  • Lukerz said:

Likely?

Even if we did, I really can't see Moyes throwing a CB straight in without being drilled with the rest of the defensive line. I know we're desperate, but I think he'd prefer to play Johnson as a CB again rather than throwing a newbie straight in without a few training sessions.
  • Apparently Ex has said we're talking to Chelsea about taking Gallagher on loan, which they've flat-out rejected. Mentions Pulisic, RLC, CHO and perennial transfer window botherer Barkley as players that they're prepared to let go.

Not sure how this works; do Chelsea offer us those and then Sullivan takes it back to Moyes to say yes or no?
  • I would be very happy with either RLC or CHO on loan. Pulisic is surely not realistic.
  • How is RLC only 26, by the way. Been around forever.

I agree re Pulisic. I doubt we can afford him outright, and even if we could, he could probably get a bigger team.

CHO primarily plays in Bowen's position so I'd be surprised if he wanted to come if game-time is his biggest consideration, plus his wages are enormous.

RLC seems the most realistic, and I'd be happy with that, TBH.
This discussion has been closed.