The Transfer Window

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Slacker said:

Szalai looked good when Hungary played England recently. I'd be happy with him.

Based on one pretty meaningless international?😳

Yep, liked what I saw.
  • I'm sure he, like Aguerd, was linked last summer. Maybe Aguerd was our first choice, and Szalai second, and now Moyes thinks we need another CB he's going back on for someone we've already scouted.
  • edited August 2022
    So looks like we’re replacing 26 game Issa Diop with 43 game Attila Szalai
  • Slacker, but What?

Szalai actually got good reviews at the last Euro's. Maybe we can't get Kehrer from PSG?

Suggestions on KUMB that Dawson's problem might be worse/longer term than was hoped and that we could be after Kehrer as well.
  • Yeah seems Dawson is managing a long-term knee injury which we may need to operate on.
  • Didn't someone say at the weekend, sorry no link to the source, that he played at the end of last season after taking painkillers?
  • Didn't someone say at the weekend, sorry no link to the source, that he played at the end of last season after taking painkillers?

I definitely read that somewhere.
  • edited August 2022
    I have too. Not sure if it's the cause of his most recent absence, but it was certainly an issue last season.

If we knew Dawson was struggling, and knew that Ogbonna had a long road to recovery, and knew that Diop wasn't happy, then I'm surprised we only appear to have been looking at CBs since the Aguerd injury. When he signed we had five options (Aguerd, Zouma, Dawson, Ogbonna and Diop); if we had concerns over the three of those, I would have thought we'd have been looking long before now. Maybe we have been, who knows.

But anyway, it would explain why we're suddenly linked to so many CBs. Latest rumours are that we're waiting on a response from PSG re Kehrer, and the reports of a fee being agreed for Szalai have been denied by the more reputable ITKs. Not sure we'll have someone in in time for Sunday, so it looks like Johnson and Zouma again for Forest.
  • But anyway, it would explain why we're suddenly linked to so many CBs. Latest rumours are that we're waiting on a response from PSG re Kehrer, and the reports of a fee being agreed for Szalai have been denied by the more reputable ITKs. Not sure we'll have someone in in time for Sunday, so it looks like Johnson and Zouma again for Forest.

Even if someone arrived in the next day or two I'd be surprised if they came straight in, especially into the heart of the defence.
  • edited August 2022
    I could see it if we were to sign Mings. I'd be ok with him on a season's loan.
  • what a waste of money
  • We are now 2 first team players short compared to last year. ☹️
  • Hugill, Anderson, Haller and now Diop and Vlasic all sold (or likely to be sold) for a significant loss.

We are dreadful at selling players.
  • Must be confident of bringing players in. He says 🙃
  • Hamstew said:

Must be confident of bringing players in. He says 🙃

You'd hope so, wouldn't you. If these two go before the weekend I think we're down to 17 fit first team players. We have to name a 20 man squad for Sunday.
  • Hugill, Anderson, Haller and now Diop and Vlasic all sold (or likely to be sold) for a significant loss.

We are dreadful at selling players.

Or maybe we're okay at selling and just dreadful at buying!
  • Ex is saying Dawson is a possible for Sunday so if correct I make that 19 available.
  • Certainly brave decision making to allow Diop, Masuaku, Vlasic to go before signing replacements. But there you go!
  • It could also be a case of David Moyes wanting to get players out of the club, with some return on the initial investment, so as not to affect the spirit in the squad. Really looking forward to all the rumours on who the new signings are going to be. 😉
  • Brave. Or negligent.
  • Lukerz said:

Certainly brave decision making to allow Diop, Masuaku, Vlasic to go before signing replacements. But there you go!

Funny though that those three, along with the earlier leavers, were generally considered dead wood. They are being replaced, slowly, and there are still 23 days to go in the window. Plenty of time.
  • IronHerb said:

Lukerz said:

Certainly brave decision making to allow Diop, Masuaku, Vlasic to go before signing replacements. But there you go!

Funny though that those three, along with the earlier leavers, were generally considered dead wood. They are being replaced, slowly, and there are still 23 days to go in the window. Plenty of time.
    Moyes seems to believe that we need at least four players, if not more. The speed at which we do deals, can you honestly see 23 days being enough to bring those players in?
  • It took about 23 months to get a striker in. I have my doubts
  • I think the others are fine but Diop (and Masuaku to a lesser extent) is a little risky. He did cover for quite extended periods last season. Vlasic didn't even play when we were rotating almost the entire team to rest them before the Europa semis, so he's no real loss in my mind.

Diop and Benrahma are the two who we really must replace promptly if we're getting rid, as they did feature quite a lot. I'm not sure Cornet counts as a replacement as we were short of a winger anyway.
  • Yeah, I think Cornet replaces Yarmolenko in the squad. If Benny goes, he needs replacing.
  • Honestly there hasn't been a player leave that I've cared about other than Noble and that's for sentimental reasons only

Fredericks and Masuaku have long since proven that they are A. Not Prem level and B. Sick notes

Kral and Martin were non-existent last season....and when they did play in their short cameos they hardly looked like they were gonna cut it

Yarnolenko had the odd ability to score a worldiebut he was perhaps the most frustrating footballer I've seen for a long while....he just wasn't cut out for the prem

Absolutely delighted to be rid of the above 5, couple years too late but given how poor they've been no one wanted to buy them

Diop you could argue is a miss, but hes only a miss in the sense that we currently have injuries to 3 other CB...because £15mil is an absolutely unreal piece of business for another player who's flattered to deceive (and he's had 100 appearances so not like he's had no chance)

You say we are awful at selling but we keep Diop he gets pushed to 5th choice once other socme back and then we're in the summer of 22/23 with him having played little football, one year left so probably we'd get what, £8mil max?

When we signed Vlasic it sounded like one of the big Pros was his versatility....but he's not versatile at all, at least not for the Prem...he can only play as a AM behind the striker and that's not really how we play

Vlasic was a panic buy that didn't work out, cut loses now while we can get a fee or we'll be left with another Felipe Anderson

Sounds like the club are after replacements and based of the players we've signed so far I'm confident that these replacements will also be a big upgrade on the deadwood were letting go
  • See one of the Lionesses Rachel Daly has signed for Aston Villa & another one Nikita Parris has gone to Manchester United. Shame our Women’s team didn’t appear to show any interest in either of them especially as the former did play on loan for them in 2020?
This discussion has been closed.