The Transfer Window

Comments

• I can understand why Areola would come here and spend a season on loan as backup with a view to replacing Fabianski as first choice but I doubt he'd want to go to Newcastle as Pope's backup or Pope as Areola's backup,

Newcastle have offloaded Woodman to Preston North End (undisclosed fee) but they still have Dubravka and Darlow on contract until 2025

This Alderz meant that Areola was Newcastles back-up signing if they couldn't secure Pope, not to come in as Pope's back up
  • alderz said:

It did seem like the rumours were that we were after Areola with Pope as a backup, and they were after Pope with Areola as a backup.

Probably similar to their Aguerd interest, they clearly identified Botman as their #1 choice and Agued as #2, whereas Aguerd was #1 our choice
  • This Alderz meant that Areola was Newcastles back-up signing if they couldn't secure Pope, not to come in as Pope's back up

Facepalm emoji
  • edited June 2022
    Apparently there was a claim in yesterday's print version of the Daily Mail (but not online) that we'd offered Eriksen a contract

Not that I would have sullied my hands with Lord Rothermere's filthy rag

The Athletic say we're close to meeting Areola's wage demands
  • The Athletic have done a summary write up of where we are in the transfer market, and these are the key points (I appreciate a lot of these are familiar, but The Athletic is just about the only media outlet I trust with sports journalism):

- Alphonse Areola will sign imminently
    - We are due to bid £30m for Armando Broja
    - We do NOT have a sell-on fee for Sebastien Haller, so won't benefit from his move to Dortmund
    - We are 'rumoured' to be interested in Keane Lewis-Potter, and he would likely be a replacement for Nikola Vlasic
    - We've rejected two bid from QPR for Emmanuel Longelo, because Moyes wants him in the first team for at least pre-season.
    - We're tracking Isaiah Jones
    - We've activated a 1 year option in Harrison Ashby's contract so he's still here next year
    - No closer to getting a new contract for Sonny Perkins
  • edited June 2022
    Holland has signed for MK Dons on a free.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61885704
  • Good for him. League One definitely seems to be his level. Just a shame he's gone to Wimbledon's evil twin
  • alderz, Wimbledon’s evil twin?
  • Yeah I don't like MK Dons
  • alderz, I read a very heated online argument at the end of last season between AFC & MK Dons fans after the latters Play Off defeat. Sorry to say the AFC fans needed to focus on their own clubs misfortunes IMHO.
  • I'm not convinced that online arguments are the best representation of an entire fanbase. I have a lot of Wimbledon fans in my family, and they don't like MK Dons, but they mostly don't talk about them.
  • alderz, Sure I can appreciate that but do actually know a fair bit of where the animosity comes from. =)
  • C&H running a story that Soucek is likely to depart this summer. Contract talks have broken down & there is no intention from the Hammers to open them again. A source is quoted as saying “the only way he remains at West Ham is if he fails to agree terms with another club”.
  • Lukerz said:

C&H running a story that Soucek is likely to depart this summer. Contract talks have broken down & there is no intention from the Hammers to open them again. A source is quoted as saying “the only way he remains at West Ham is if he fails to agree terms with another club”.

Link to the article

https://www.claretandhugh.info/candh-exclusive-souceks-future-update/

Soucek's got two more seasons on his contract with an option for a third and as the article says Moyes has denied that Soucek is leaving
  • Lukerz said:

C&H running a story that Soucek is likely to depart this summer. Contract talks have broken down & there is no intention from the Hammers to open them again. A source is quoted as saying “the only way he remains at West Ham is if he fails to agree terms with another club”.

Not gonna read into it too much or get too worried

Hes got 2 years left with an extra year option

He had a great 18 months followed by a very average 12 months so I'm sure the club will reopen talks with him if he replicates more of the first 18 month form (same for Coufal who after 12 months wanted a new deal only to see egis form drop away)

I like Soucek, I hope he stays but he's not indispensable. Don't think the club would sell him on the cheap but same time if someone gives us £40mil or even £50mil I can see him going
  • Would sell him if we weren't light in several areas of the pitch. Feels like one of those times where we could get a decent fee for him. I think he has hit his ceiling in ability personally, one of the few players that i think you can replace.

Alas we have too many other priorities to focus on to even think about selling a CM !
  • This stinks of Soucek’s agent saying “if you won’t give him a new deal, we’ll go to someone else who will”. Stirring things up, but as has been said, we don’t have to sell if Moyes wants to keep him.
  • Yeah, having to replace Noble and Soucek in one summer and hoping both settle straight away could be too big an ask.

I think he really struggled last season and is fairly limited in certain aspects, so am not against his sale, if we had some depth in that position.
  • With Noble going and Kral not cutting it then Soucek agent feels his client is in a strong position.
  • yoyo said:

With Noble going and Kral not cutting it then Soucek agent feels his client is in a strong position.

I guess the two years with an option presumably makes the club feel they are in a strong position too. Soucek doesn’t strike me as the “toys out of the pram” type, so I expect he’ll be here playing well this season.
  • https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61874931

Pick one. The one you'd want from this list.

Not who you think we could get, just ' if Carlsberg did...'
  • Lingard or Eriksen I think. Dembele’s just a French Kieron Dyer
  • Is that an actual song. I might want him just for the chants 🤣
  • edited June 2022

Dembele

I agree! Dembele, if he can stay fit, would be superb for whoever gets him.

• Dembele’s injury history is crazy. This is page one.

But page two is my favourite

• WOW sign him up =)
  • Lingard 👍🏻⚒️
  • Jesse too
This discussion has been closed.