The Transfer Window

Comments

• Lukerz said:

This guy is normally quite accurate when he announces a deal is done.

Fingers crossed
  • Lukerz said:

This guy is normally quite accurate when he announces a deal is done.

He also quickly backtracked by saying the second part of the medical is still to come and Ex has said we're still concerned about Newcastle's interest.

So probably just an ITK trying to be the first to declare it as done.

Although that prize goes to the Portuguese journo that said earlier that Aguerd was done, who said the same thing about Milenkovic last summer, so he clearly has no idea either.
  • Shirley we must have back up defender options if those thieving Magpies steal him

#too much Ag!
  • Bazshuayi said:

Shirley we must have back up defender options if those thieving Magpies steal him

#too much Ag!

Of course we have back up defender options and don't call me Shirley

There's going to be an important announcement from the training ground

#yourturnbaz
  • Bazshuayi said:

Shirley we must have back up defender options if those thieving Magpies steal him

#too much Ag!

Yes, but that's NEXT summers transfer window
  • Bazshuayi said:

#too much Ag!

Of course we have back up defender options and don't call me Shirley

There's going to be an important announcement from the training ground

#yourturnbaz
    Of couscous I’m sure he’ll be a ⚒️B4 the weekend ⚒️🏃
  • yoyo said:

If Aguerd wants to come,then he will. If his head is turned elsewhere then fair enough, good riddance. I want players who 100% want to be here

Maybe had we been fast at signing him there would be no opportunity for someone else
    To turn his head
    I mean he was scheduled for a medical this week and the window has been open a week

Not sure how quick you think we're going to act
    As quickly as Aston Villa earlier this month. You can get a medical done whilst away on International duty which happens sometimes on Transfer deadline day. Just saying 😉

• Football Italia have linked us with Udinese 19yo LB/LWB Destiny Udogie.

He joined on loan from Hellas Verona last summer, made 37 appearance and Udinese took up the £3.7m option to buy. In September he was given his first Italy U21s cap.

Udinese have already turned down bids from Juventus and Spurs
  • yoyo said:

If Aguerd wants to come,then he will. If his head is turned elsewhere then fair enough, good riddance. I want players who 100% want to be here

Maybe had we been fast at signing him there would be no opportunity for someone else
    To turn his head
    I mean he was scheduled for a medical this week and the window has been open a week

As quickly as Aston Villa earlier this month. You can get a medical done whilst away on International duty which happens sometimes on Transfer deadline day. Just saying 😉

Surely that only works if your chairman wants to spend money =)
  • Expat, I think that is where the flaw in our transfer dealings is. So many people say we can't compete with the big six when it comes to the top end signings & it's due to us not having the financial clout to do so which is frustrating.
  • If we don't have the money, that's not a flaw in the dealings.

It's like saying the flaw in me wanting to live a millionaire's lifestyle is that I haven't got a millionaire's budget.

Saying it's s flaw in the transfer dealings implies it's an error of judgement or strategy.
  • I think the flaw was in the general strategy and vision of GSB. They wanted a "world-class team in a world-class stadium" but have never had the finances to be able to deliver that.

We have a better team now, certainly, and have had a couple of good seasons, but to be genuine top four and CL contenders you need the budget of City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. to be able to achieve it, and we just don't.
  • MrsG, OCS explained it better than I could. =)
  • yoyo said:

To turn his head

Guess they're gonna win the window again 😁
  • They wanted a "world-class team in a world-class stadium" but have never had the finances to be able to deliver that.,

That's a vision ( dream) shared by many. All flawed.

If it's a flawed vision, why do so many fans judge our transfer dealings as if it was a realistic vision?
  • I think the flaw was in the general strategy and vision of GSB. They wanted a "world-class team in a world-class stadium" but have never had the finances to be able to deliver that.

We have a better team now, certainly, and have had a couple of good seasons, but to be genuine top four and CL contenders you need the budget of City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. to be able to achieve it, and we just don't.

They don't have the money but I'd say this is the strongest squad we've had in the Prem maybe since it started

They may have been trying to sell a dream but right now we're at as good a position as any I can remember under their ownership in a world where the Big 6 just have so much more money than anyone else

The only way to compete financially is be backed by a state like City/Chelsea did it and now Newcastle/Villa are trying or to play in the champions league year after year, selling players for massive profits and building a brand like how Tottenham did itand how Leicester have tried to do but hasbt worked
  • MrsGrey said:

They wanted a "world-class team in a world-class stadium" but have never had the finances to be able to deliver that.,

If it's a flawed vision, why do so many fans judge our transfer dealings as if it was a realistic vision?
    It all harks back to the stadium move, I think. A lot of fans backed it on the belief that we would be able to generate the finances to be able to compete with the SL6; Brady talked a lot about the 'commercial opportunities' and 'commercial revenue' that the move would bring, and Gold and Sullivan were talking up our CL potential as a result of it.

Because of that supporters, rightly or wrongly, had an expectation that money would be available to deliver that vision. What we've seen since is that the move hasn't generated the necessary finances and although the board has spent big on some transfers, the investment in a transfer infrastructure was almost entirely missing, and we've not been able to secure the players that managers have wanted.
  • edited June 2022

I think the flaw was in the general strategy and vision of GSB. They wanted a "world-class team in a world-class stadium" but have never had the finances to be able to deliver that.

They don't have the money but I'd say this is the strongest squad we've had in the Prem maybe since it started

They may have been trying to sell a dream but right now we're at as good a position as any I can remember under their ownership in a world where the Big 6 just have so much more money than anyone else
    I don't disagree, but some would argue that more/better investment over the last few windows could have got us closer to the Big 6. I think I read the other day that we've only signed three permanent players in the last three windows and one of those (Alves) has already been binned off.

I know there are a lot of considerations, but ultimately I feel that the 'vision' that GSB sold to the fanbase has, again, rightly or wrongly, built an expectation that isn't being met, hence some of the views expressed on our transfer dealings.
  • MrsGrey said:

They wanted a "world-class team in a world-class stadium" but have never had the finances to be able to deliver that.,

It all harks back to the stadium move, I think. A lot of fans backed it on the belief that we would be able to generate the finances to be able to compete with the SL6; Brady talked a lot about the 'commercial opportunities' and 'commercial revenue' that the move would bring, and Gold and Sullivan were talking up our CL potential as a result of it.

Because of that supporters, rightly or wrongly, had an expectation that money would be available to deliver that vision. What we've seen since is that the move hasn't generated the necessary finances and although the board has spent big on some transfers, the investment in a transfer infrastructure was almost entirely missing, and we've not been able to secure the players that managers have wanted.
    Then are we forever going to be grumbling and moaning if we can't realise the dream that was said 7 years ago?

We've had the OS 6 years, and the last 2 have been some of the best years in the clubs history

Don't get me wrong I'm still fuming we didn't do anything in Jan, but we can't sit here saying spend more or do more or buy better when the reality is very different....we can't compete with the big six just likes wvee never been able to compete with the truely elite clubs
  • MrsGrey said:

Then are we forever going to be grumbling and moaning if we can't realise the dream that was said 7 years ago?
    Some will, yes. Partly because it fits the anti-GSB agenda. But it's not about spending £200m every year on players; it's about making the right decisions and making the most of the opportunities when they're presented, and many don't believe that the board have done that in recent windows.

It will be interesting to see what happens if, as rumoured, GSB sell up next year and Kretinski takes sole custody of the club. What will his vision be? Will he be able to get the necessary investment to challenge the elite?
  • Anyway, back to transfer hype...

Several 'ITKs' have said that Aguerd's medical was due to be completed this morning, so we should know soon enough whether that one is over the line.

Thoughts on Januzaj, who has been linked recently?
  • I still believe there is a GK, LB, CH & CF across the world who is better than what we currently have in our first team who are not going to cost the earth. No side cannot be improved upon, we need to keep making strides to move forward.
  • I still believe there is a GK, LB, CH & CF across the world who is better than what we currently have in our first team who are not going to cost the earth. No side cannot be improved upon, we need to keep making strides to move forward.

Like Aguerd and Areola, think they are strides to move forward

So let's hope we can get these two deals across the line
  • Thoughts on Januzaj, who has been linked recently?

He has been playing mostly on the right for Real Sociedad so he'd be competition for Bowen.

Definitely should be considered as an alternative to Lingard

He has been playing mostly on the right for Real Sociedad so he'd be competition for Bowen.

Yea see him taking Yarmolenko spot IF he comes, useful depth but probably has a bit more about him than Yarmo (I assume, haven't seen him play since he was in England) and on (you'd imagine) smaller wages
  • Several 'ITKs' have said that Aguerd's medical was due to be completed this morning, so we should know soon enough whether that one is over the line.

*Tumbleweed emoji*

All very quiet on the ITK front...

• Liverpool claim to have completed all their transfer business eleven weeks before the window closes. I suppose it’s not always about when you start but how thinks look when you finish. 🤞
  • Several 'ITKs' have said that Aguerd's medical was due to be completed this morning, so we should know soon enough whether that one is over the line.

*Tumbleweed emoji*

All very quiet on the ITK front...

Why aye, man

Yea see him taking Yarmolenko spot IF he comes, useful depth but probably has a bit more about him than Yarmo (I assume, haven't seen him play since he was in England) and on (you'd imagine) smaller wages
    According to estadiodeportivo.com Januzaj will want £100k pw wages and a £5m signing bonus

Hmmmmmm

According to estadiodeportivo.com Januzaj will want £100k pw wages and a £5m signing bonus

Hmmmmmm
    He is a free transfer though. Transfermarkt has him at being worth approx £11m (though their valuations are very low usually). If he signed for £11m, with half of that signing on bonus, then the same cost over a 4 year deal would work out at £60k per week.

All these free signings are inflated by the cost saving elsewhere, but realistically the fees quoted in that article would total £26m over 4 years. That's not crazy.
This discussion has been closed.