The Transfer Window

Comments

• Said it before about Traore, that I reckon he’d be a cult hero for us. He’d certainly get bums off seats ( that’s if ever anyone sits down these days), can’t you just see him and Mickey tearing forward with defenders bouncing of em?
    Great fun.
  • edited June 2022
    Something is going on with the defender. Reading between the lines it sounds like Newcastle have hijacked or trying to hijack our deal lol.
  • edited June 2022
    Claret & Hugh claim Newcastle have tried to hijack the deal, but that's not being reported anywhere else (other than a couple of blogs repeating it). Everywhere else seems to think he's here for a medical at the moment.

EDIT: Also, Newcastle have been after Sven Botman since January, and are struggling to agree a fee. If I was a betting man, I'd say that any Aguerd interest is purely to try and get the Botman deal moving.
  • Apparently it's on Ex's patreon.
  • Ex has, apparently, said the Newcastle rumours are true, but the player was and still is keen on coming to us.
  • The lure of European football will win out. 😊
  • Not 💰?
  • IronHerb said:

The lure of European football will win out. 😊

In the short-term, maybe, but over a 4 year contract could Newcastle be the better long-term option with the money they're throwing about?

Rhetorical, obviously, but I don't think a season of ECL football will be a particularly big draw for players.
  • edited June 2022
    Maybe, just maybe, Aguerd has moral reservations about joining a Saudi-backed club. If so, good for him and even better that if that was the case, he makes it public. All hypothetical of course.
  • IronHerb said:

Rhetorical, obviously, but I don't think a season of ECL football will be a particularly big draw for players.
    But the 2nd consecutive season in Europe might be, more than a Newcastle who are just full of ambition but haven't achieved anything yet.
  • I think some players would look at the conference league as a hindrance more than anything imo
    Travel away to play some unknown team on a Thursday night (3/6) games I appreciate.
    Or stay at home with the fam and get ready for a more important game in the EPL at the weekend.
  • And look at Spurs, they were kicked out due to not fulfilling a game due to covid.
    Didn’t contest.
    Would they have got champs league if they were still involved in it.
    And the price for winning.. Europa..

• I wouldn't be surprised if every agent starts a rumour about Newcastle being interested in their client just as personal terms are being discussed.
  • IronHerb said:

The lure of a night out in the West End over walking around Bigg Market wearing just a t shirt in November?
  • edited June 2022
    MrsGrey said:

IronHerb said:

But the 2nd consecutive season in Europe might be, more than a Newcastle who are just full of ambition but haven't achieved anything yet.
    True, but their pathway to success may be seen as clearer due to who/what they can afford.

Just trying to look at things objectively; yes, West Ham got to the EL semi-final and are in the ECL this season, but we're not exactly regulars on the European front. And are we more likely to be successful than Newcastle in the medium- to long-term, given the financial clout they now have? I know it's not a guarantee of success, but for a player with no emotional connection to either club, West Ham and Newcastle are probably viewed as equals, whereby money will probably be the biggest draw.
  • edited June 2022

I think some players would look at the conference league as a hindrance more than anything imo
    Travel away to play some unknown team on a Thursday night (3/6) games I appreciate.
    Or stay at home with the fam and get ready for a more important game in the EPL at the weekend.

We travelled away to play Rapid Vienna, Genk and Dinamo Zagreb last season, hardly the top teams in Europe

The reward came after the Group stage
  • Aguerd will still sign. European football will be key.
  • Personally I just think that money will speak more than the conference league.
    Europa league may have a sway and obviously Champs league would.
    But not this.
  • I think the lure of endless Greggs stores will be to much for us.
  • And a cameo on Geordie Shore 😜
  • Apparently Ex has updated and said we’re not as confident of him signing as we were
  • I'd say it's 50/50, truth is we have no idea about his preferences

He could find Europe enticing, he could find that we have him as a priority enticing as he's clearly 2nd choice for Newcastle

But he may find the money more enticing, or the project and ambition Newcastle have and endless funds to be among the best in the world

Just gotta wait and see, would be a blow as all things point to the fact this guy was our #1 priority
  • Moyes is the sort of manager who will likely pull the plug if he feels Aguerd isn’t committed
  • Lukerz said:

Moyes is the sort of manager who will likely pull the plug if he feels Aguerd isn’t committed

And he be right to wouldn’t he?
  • Moyes seems to value the team over the individual and our results seem to validate his approach

Trust the Moyesiah
  • edited June 2022
    But why has this saga dragged on and on like virtually every one of our transfers with GSB
  • If Aguerd wants to come,then he will. If his head is turned elsewhere then fair enough, good riddance. I want players who 100% want to be here
  • yoyo said:

If Aguerd wants to come,then he will. If his head is turned elsewhere then fair enough, good riddance. I want players who 100% want to be here

Maybe had we been fast at signing him there would be no opportunity for someone else
    To turn his head
  • yoyo said:

If Aguerd wants to come,then he will. If his head is turned elsewhere then fair enough, good riddance. I want players who 100% want to be here

Maybe had we been fast at signing him there would be no opportunity for someone else
    To turn his head
    I mean he was scheduled for a medical this week and the window has been open a week

Not sure how quick you think we're going to act
  • edited June 2022

This guy is normally quite accurate when he announces a deal is done.
This discussion has been closed.