Couldn’t think…. The next part

Comments

• Just seen one of our most infamous past players Joey Beaucamp has passed away, aged only 50.

Very unusual episode when he came from Oxford and it appeared to be his big break but couldn't settle and asked to be able to leave without making a competitive appearance.
  • candbsky, He couldn't take the drive from Oxford to the East End even though I understand Harry arranged for him to get a lift in to training each day.
  • His name is still known, for all the wrong reasons but very sad
  • Dodger, I deleted your post as something obviously went wrong - there were loads of what seemed to be personal (family) photographs that uploaded, prior to the one about Rice.
  • No problem- it took me a couple of minutes to fix. I’ll redo 🙂
  • Another reason to have pride in having this young man at our club:

• Jack Wilshere has signed for Aarhus Gymnastikforening. Me neither
  • The U23s lost to Man City this afternoon. Jamal Baptiste got sent of for two yellow cards, the second of which is below.

The standard of refereeing in this country is disgraceful.

Blimey, I bet their fans have an interesting chant
  • yoyo, Something like “Aarhus in the middle of the league”
  • The U23s lost to Man City this afternoon. Jamal Baptiste got sent of for two yellow cards, the second of which is below.

I agree. refereeing is getting worse by the season. This player got the ball cleanly with a good tackle, studs down and no real follow through, the referee has made the most shool boy like error which is not to judge the challenge but the acrobatics of the player who lost out in the challenge. It happens often because players make a meal of it, this guy has not, his momentum took him through but the idiot ref doesn't know what he is doing. He will no doubt be reffing next week whilst the player has to serve a suspension.
  • And the Citeh player signalling for a card - disgusting.

Aarhus

In the middle of our street

Is there any evidence that the standard of refereeing is better in other countries?

I agree. refereeing is getting worse by the season. This player got the ball cleanly with a good tackle, studs down and no real follow through, the referee has made the most shool boy like error which is not to judge the challenge but the acrobatics of the player who lost out in the challenge. It happens often because players make a meal of it, this guy has not, his momentum took him through but the idiot ref doesn't know what he is doing. He will no doubt be reffing next week whilst the player has to serve a suspension.

We've had this conversation before. The quality of refereeing is declining because people who might be interested in becoming referees are put off by the level of abuse suffered at all levels

Is there any evidence that the standard of refereeing is better in other countries?
    No, but I didn't make the comparison with other leagues. Just a statement about officiating in this country. Whether refereeing in Belgium or France is as bad as it is in England is irrelevant to my point.

That said, it would be interesting to know whether other countries encourage ex-players to get involved. I think it's the only way to get people's opinions of refs to change. Although there are inherent problems with that as you couldn't have someone like Carragher reffing a Liverpool game. Or an Everton or Man U game, for that matter.
  • Referees already can’t referee clubs they support or are from their area but ex players may be different. Imagine Carragher reffing an Arsenal /Man City game if they rivals to Liverpool for the title
  • Perfect hat-trick of own goals, all before being substituted after 40 mins

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60457568
  • Aslef, You have asked OCS if there is any evidence that refereeing is better in other countries and then made the following statement.

We've had this conversation before. The quality of refereeing is declining because people who might be interested in becoming referees are put off by the level of abuse suffered at all levels

Is there any evidence of this?
  • Thanks for that Ironherb.
  • edited February 2022
    Call me a dinosaur, but I personally see no comparison, and therefore no argument for equal pay, between men's football and women's football.

In the general workforce I fully support equal pay and opportunities, but I am a million miles from being convinced that there is equal interest (rightly or wrongly) in women's football as there is in men's football, and I personally don't feel that artificially trying to produce some level of pay equality on the basis of misplaced belief that they are the same is appropriate.

We all know that football pay is way above and beyond the ordinary, and so, imo, if that ridiculous state of affairs is to continue (which undoubtedly, in this free market world that we live in, it will), then the free market should operate between women's football and men's football as much as it does between men's football and men's American football, baseball or basketball.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60480155

As I say, I stress that I fully endorse equal pay and equal opportunities for women in any work environment, but women's football is not, imo, the same as men's football.
  • Agreed. It’s the same sport but a totally different game. This applies across most sports eg rugby, cricket and even tennis to a degree.
  • This evening at 10:22 the time and date will be:

22:22 22:2:22 =)
  • It's the same job: represent your country in international matches. Train, prepare,play.

I see no problem with demanding equal pay for doing the same job.

Popularity is irrelevant. They aren't being paid to be popular, nor are they on a revenue sharing basis or bring paid a dividend.
  • The ability to pay is dictated by the ability of the employer to generate revenue from the product, which in this case is tickets, TV rights and sponsorship. I think this does make football and a few other sports reasonably unique. There would be no argument if the women's team were selling out the London stadium (in our case) or Sky offering similar money for broadcasting rights. As it is the women's game cannot generate a fraction or the men's at present. Hopefully this will change.

I think this does make a difference and prevents it being likened to regular jobs.
  • edited February 2022
    This is the national teams is it not. The US women have won 5 Olympic gold and 4 World Cups to the mens zilch. I'm thinking that generates a pretty good income.
  • MrsGrey said:

It's the same job: represent your country in international matches. Train, prepare,play.

I see no problem with demanding equal pay for doing the same job.

Popularity is irrelevant. They aren't being paid to be popular, nor are they on a revenue sharing basis or bring paid a dividend.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I don't believe an international tiddley winks player should get the same pay as an international footballer, as they're two different products in the same way that men's football and women's football aren't the same product.
  • In the USA Womens football is probably more serious than mens, so perhaps they should be paid more - but over here …
  • "BubblesNeverDies">This evening at 10:22 the time and date will be:

22:22 22:2:22 =)
    I'm 7 hours ahead of GMT here, and missed it. Rats! 😁

• Internationals, yes. I presume soldiers of both genders are paid on the same scale, and they represent their country. But just for playing the same sport? You may as well argue that British basketballers deserve NBA wages because they play the same sport. The argument raises the awareness of inequality though, which is good .
This discussion has been closed.