Couldn’t think…. The next part

Comments

• I have got a very long barge pole with which I will not be touching this conversation with
  • I don't think your basketball analogy works, if they are ' working ' for different employers.
  • I think the big argument for the US women was the bonus for winning the World Cup is not as big as the men's for winning the World Cup. The problem is, the women's World Cup doesn't generate any where near the same revenues as the mens.
    Also using Alex Morgan as an example, she has played 190 games for the USA in her career but has only played just over 100 games for the various clubs she has appeared for. I think she only played 4 games for Spurs in her only season here.
  • edited February 2022
    It seems to me that the employers will move to a model of basic ( equal) wages, then a bonus % linked to club income from broadcast rights, gates receipts and merchandising. Those aspects could, quite legitimately, be linked to ' popularity' of the product and are distinct from the actual job of train/play football.
  • Preston, re generating revenues. This is a fair argument, imo, if the salary is linked to performance. But at the moment, it isn't.
  • Interview with Haller in the Guardian, headline

"‘I don’t blame Moyes. I wasn’t the striker he needed’

“I was brought in by Manuel Pellegrini but then David Moyes came and we got in a situation where we were … like trapped together,” he says. “I was playing in a system that I didn’t really enjoy. Moyes preferred someone like [Michail] Antonio up front, and I’m super happy he [Antonio]’s doing so well; I am for all the guys at West Ham. I had a good time there with them but I was also really mad at the situation, [with] the way we were playing, the way I was playing, the way I was feeling …”
    He says he did not complain, just tried to make it work. “I don’t want to blame David. Sometimes a style of play doesn’t suit a player and I wasn’t the striker he needed. And I also wasn’t his signing. If you bring in players [as a manager] that cost money for the club, you need to show that you didn’t make a mistake.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/23/sebastien-haller-i-dont-blame-moyes-i-wasnt-the-striker-he-needed

• So why hasn't Moyes... you know what, never mind
  • Haller actually comes across very well in that article.

He can afford to, given how well he's done since leaving. Fantastic career move.
  • During the pandemic the women got paid but the me
    MrsGrey said:

Preston, re generating revenues. This is a fair argument, imo, if the salary is linked to performance. But at the moment, it isn't.

It doesn't matter how many times you win the World Cup and perform great every time, if not enough people watch it, then you're not going to generate the money to warrant paying them to same win bonus that the men would if they had won the World Cup.
  • Just to lighten the mood a bit.
    I’m watching PMQS and there’s a Tory MP wearing a cravat.
    An actual cravat!

Oh and it’s not Jacob Rees - Mogg.😂
  • I watched about 30 seconds of it. Saw Caroline Lucas heckled and jeered by the Tory benches when asking a question of Johnson, and genuinely thought Hoyle wasn't there because he didn't interject. When he finally woke up it was to tell her hurry up with the question!

Honestly, we speak about having the worst PM at the worst time, but we also have the worst Speaker right now, too. Hopelessly weak and ineffectual.
  • I hate watching it. Like watching a bunch of schoolboys joking about.
  • I hate watching it. Like watching a bunch of schoolboys joking about.

PMQ's or West Ham? 😂
  • edited February 2022
    I see the club have taken the two-year option on Johnson's contract. Now under contract until 2024.

Not sure how relevant it is to anything, but talks over a new long-term didn't go anywhere, according to the report. Reluctance on the player's part, or the clubs, I wonder.
  • Slacker said:

Just to lighten the mood a bit.
    I’m watching PMQS and there’s a Tory MP wearing a cravat.
    An actual cravat!

Oh and it’s not Jacob Rees - Mogg.😂

He’ll be taking his nanny in next week to make sure that he’s been to the toilet before he takes his seat and to sit up straight and not slump.

• Interview with Haller in the Guardian, headline

"‘I don’t blame Moyes. I wasn’t the striker he needed’

“I was brought in by Manuel Pellegrini but then David Moyes came and we got in a situation where we were … like trapped together,” he says. “I was playing in a system that I didn’t really enjoy. Moyes preferred someone like [Michail] Antonio up front, and I’m super happy he [Antonio]’s doing so well; I am for all the guys at West Ham. I had a good time there with them but I was also really mad at the situation, [with] the way we were playing, the way I was playing, the way I was feeling …”
    He says he did not complain, just tried to make it work. “I don’t want to blame David. Sometimes a style of play doesn’t suit a player and I wasn’t the striker he needed. And I also wasn’t his signing. If you bring in players [as a manager] that cost money for the club, you need to show that you didn’t make a mistake.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/23/sebastien-haller-i-dont-blame-moyes-i-wasnt-the-striker-he-needed

Was Haller actually the type of striker that fitted into Pellegrini's style?
  • Spurs lost =)
  • Spurs lost so good had to repeat it =) =)
  • Beaten by Burnley, who are doing their best to drag Brentford, Leeds and Everton into the relegation scrap.
  • Interesting article. Seems like a well balanced guy. I was also interested in his comment that he didn't like to celebrate a lot, but preferred to keep focused. I think many fans infer incorrectly from players' facial expressions and body language. So it's useful to remember that we can't know what someone thinks or feels just from looking at their running gait or absence of a smile
  • steve said:

Spurs lost so good had to repeat it =) =)

• Sounds like Conte wants to quit Spurs hahaha
  • MrsGrey said:

It seems to me that the employers will move to a model of basic ( equal) wages, then a bonus % linked to club income from broadcast rights, gates receipts and merchandising. Those aspects could, quite legitimately, be linked to ' popularity' of the product and are distinct from the actual job of train/play football.

Seems reasonable to me...fetches barge pole for future use 😉

• steve said:

Spurs lost =)

A small ray of sunshine on a very dark morning.

• edited February 2022
    This sounds a bit trite but I hope Yarmo gets a good ovation next time he plays. God knows how he must be feeling right now.
  • To bad ,Hope he gets fit quick .How long might he be out for
  • We do seem to get a lot of players who suffer a drop in form only for it to turn out that they were playing with an injury
  • Meanwhile Jack Collison has done an interview with the Sun. He was appointed head coach of Atlanta United reserves in June, in the USL Championship Eastern Conference (2nd tier)

I'm competitive and I want to be the best coach I can be and that's coaching at the highest level possible.

"I certainly feel like there's unfinished business back at West Ham. It would be an attractive proposition because of the history I have with the club.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/17733202/jack-collison-manager-eddie-howe-usa-west-ham/
This discussion has been closed.