Transfer Deadline Day: The Yellow Tie Derby (Rav wore it best)

Comments

• Maybe we did. Have until midnight to complete paperwork as long as clubs notify PL it’s going ahead before window closes.

I think we'd have heard about it by now if it was happening. Not even a sniff of a rumour from any of the big ITK accounts on the most rumourous of days.
  • Xande Silva to Forest confirmed, for an undisclosed fee. The figure of £200k was floating about earlier in the day.
  • edited August 2021
    And that, it would appear, is that.

Go to bed. dg
  • edited August 2021

Random comment, hypothetically of course......

With Noble leaving next season and if Rice was to leave next season....

Who would be our next captain ? Cresswell ? Antonio ?

Retire the club captain armband #Nobleforever
    joking, not joking.

First 11 captain? Cresswell for me. But no idea who if he isn't in the side. Maybe Ogbonna?
  • ok window over, are we stronger than when it started, yes so thumbs up from pathman and in Moyes we trust, could be worse could be a toon fan :)
  • I think we've misunderstood Moyes's strategy

He hasn't bought an out-and-out striker because he doesn't see a striker as necessary

He's going to play a "Fantastic Four" of attacking midfielders (Antonio was a winger at Forest) which allows him a greater level of flexibility when picking a starting XI
  • I recognise his thinking and it could work if those players can finish, that was Lingard's strength as he could finish better than Antonio, and better than any attacker we have had since probably Di Canio. Antonio's finishing has improved massively but we will need the others really show they can step up when he is injured.

The window for me has been pretty good and we can't say that Moyes has not been backed but I do feel we could have done with an attacker. It;s not as easy as simply wanting a player as they simply may not have wanted to come, but I would have rather had Abraham than both Kral and Vlasic. I am excited about Zouma because I think he brings pace at the back, I can see Vlasic getting involved but I am not sure Kral will get much game time unless injuries come, Nobles final season may not see many introductions now I feel.
  • I imagine of all our existing players it's probably Lanzini feeling most unloved.
  • I imagine of all our existing players it's probably Lanzini feeling most unloved.

Probably true but also there is plenty of foot to go around I'm sure he'll get some game time
  • Can somebody start a January window thread please? I’m missing it already.

Just to be clear, this is my weak attempt at a JOKE.
    Please don’t.
  • 4th highest net spend in the league A good window for me 8/10 reckon next summer will see the other issues addressed in the squad I think Moyes is only signing players who improve the competition in the first team and he can only sign a few each year . Better than signing 7/8 average players like we have done in the past
  • edited September 2021

I think we've misunderstood Moyes's strategy

He hasn't bought an out-and-out striker because he doesn't see a striker as necessary

He's going to play a "Fantastic Four" of attacking midfielders (Antonio was a winger at Forest) which allows him a greater level of flexibility when picking a starting XI

I'm not sure it's quite like that. Antonio moved to the striker's traditional No9 shirt and a lot was made of how he's made the position of striker his own, and that he's now our main striker.

So I actually think Moyes sees the striker role as not only necessary, but important. The fact that he didn't sign one in January because he wanted to get the right man in the summer suggests that it is a key position to him.

I think what he's done is make sure we have a good mitigation in place until that right man is available. I suspect getting a new striker lined up will be Rob Newman's priority between now and next summer.
  • A good window IMO. Moyes obviously doesn’t seem to see the need for a centre forward, and I can’t argue that his strategy is not working, as we are playing well and are good to watch. Most of us would have been happy with a couple of improvements, or cover in the window but we got four!
    Also, a shout out to GSB. They seem to have backed Moyes to get what he wants, and Sullivan appears to have stayed out of ‘selecting the team’. Maybe the PAI Capital thing has given them the necessary kick to do something.
  • A 7/10 window for me, maybe a 7.5/10. I'm happy with the quality of players brought in, but we're 2 players short of where we need to be imo. We desperately needed another forward, either a CF or someone who would play in the 3 behind him. We've currently only got 5 players covering 4 places, and one of those is Antonio with his glass hamstrings. As soon as he (or any of the other 4) is out, we're reduced to Yarmalenko or Lanzini as game changers.

The other player we could have done with is someone who can play LB and LWB. I know we have options there, but they generally involve playing someone out of position.

So a much better window than I feared, but the lack of adequate forward cover is a concern for me, and one that must be addressed in January as we'll be losing Benrahma to AFCON, assuming it's actually going to take place.
  • Last season our strikers, Antonio and Haller, scored league 13 goals out of a total of 62. So as much as we want a new striker we do seem to get by.

Good window imo. Four quality players in to bolster an already decent squad. 7/10.
  • Completely agree buffy. As I said yesterday, the business we did do was really good; four quality additions that can really boost the match day squad.

It's the business we didn't do that I'm a bit disappointed with. Like you, I thought a LB/LWB and a striker on top of what we did would have made for the perfect window, but we didn't quite get there.

Will be interesting to see what funds are made available to Moyes in January, if any. But for Slacker's mental wellbeing, we'll leave that discussion for another day.
  • Lukerz said:

I think it shows that Moyes knows what he is doing.

Who'd a thunk it? I guess that's why he's the manager who got us from relegation candidates to almost CL in a season and a half.
    Trust in the Moyesiah, he won't let us down.

=)
  • If we get Masuaku back in the squad soon, that is the LWB position covered, although I'm not sure he would get into the starting eleven at the moment even if fit. I am in the camp that is not worried about the lack of a striker. We play with one when Antonio is available but I think if we have three attacking players on the pitch that have pace and know how to score, that better suits our style of play. When we have corners or free kicks and want to put the ball into the box in the air we bring up, Soucek, Ogbonna, Zouma etc. I don't think we need a traditional striker, IMHO of course. It has ended up being an excellent window 8.5 or 9/10.
  • Newcastle signed Joe Willock and four U23s so they've got the same squad that finished last season minus Andy Carroll

Imagine what the Barcode chat rooms must be like this morning!
  • re: Moyes and strikers

I remember Everton never really having strikers. He turned Cahill into one, he used Fellaini as one, but other than Yakubu they never really had goal scoring strikers.

Obviously it’s an important position, but the weight of goal scoring responsibility in a Moyes team is shared throughout the squad.
  • Interesting, checked it out and the most they had was Yakubu, Anichebe and Saha during the last few years but often they didn’t have many. Good attacking midfielders like Cahill, Pienaar and Fellaini.

I get that we have goals but we still need a focal point, someone to press and keep defenders busy. I guess we’ll see if Bowen or Vlasic can do that. Cahill and Fellaini were big physical presences and I’m not sure any of our backups are.
  • Interesting, checked it out and the most they had was Yakubu, Anichebe and Saha during the last few years but often they didn’t have many. Good attacking midfielders like Cahill, Pienaar and Fellaini.

I get that we have goals but we still need a focal point, someone to press and keep defenders busy. I guess we’ll see if Bowen or Vlasic can do that. Cahill and Fellaini were big physical presences and I’m not sure any of our backups are.

I also have checked it out, and only his his first two seasons at Everton did strikers score more than half of the PL goals for Moyes (31 of 48 in 02/03, 23 of 45 in 03/04).

After that, it was always less than half. 2020/21 was the lowest % of league goals scored by strikers under Moyes' Everton or West Ham (21%, 13/62), and it was also the second smallest ever reliance on a single goalscorer (16% of our goals scored by our top scorer, in 2009/09 only 15% of their 55 goals were scored by Marouane Fellaini).

I think he wants a great striker, but he's aware there aren't many of them around, and knows that if you gamble they don't often score you many. If that's the case, it's better to spread the load than rely on one expensive misfit (i.e. Haller).

• Moyes signed plenty of strikers at Everton but as mentioned none of them were "20+ goals-per-season"

James Beattie top scorer 2005-06 (11 goals)
    Andy Johnson 2006-07 (12)
    Louis Saha 2009-10, (15) joint 2010-11 (10)
    Jermaine Beckford joint 2010-11 (10)
    Nikica Jelavic 2011-12 (11)

Plus Marcus Bent, Victor Anichebe and others who were less successful

When he took over from Walter Smith he had Duncan Ferguson, Tomas Radzinski and Kevin Campbell
  • You forgot Yakubu, who got 15 goals in 2007/08 (I might have the wrong season, I can't remember)
  • You'd already mentioned Yakubu but yes, 15 goals in the Premier League, 21 goals all competitions 2007-08
  • None of the sports websites seem to mention us as having a good transfer window. Flying under the radar again :-) Apparantely Man U signed someone called Ronaldo in case you missed it
  • None of the sports websites seem to mention us as having a good transfer window. Flying under the radar again :-) Apparantely Man U signed someone called Ronaldo in case you missed it

who dat
  • edited September 2021
    PLF, Maybe they don't think we did but what do they know!

https://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=44089

Just someones opinion.
  • What a boring deadline day with only one transfer happening and reported constantly.
  • thorn, I must have missed that! 😀