Transfer Deadline Day: The Yellow Tie Derby (Rav wore it best)

Comments

• edited August 2021
    I can't believe we haven't brought in a striker. Of all the positions. Don't get me wrong wrong we've done some good business but it's like Moyes is allergic to strikers.
    Will have to trust that he has something up his sleeves for one or two of our attacking midfielders.
  • Bamba is coming, don't go to bed!
  • edited August 2021
    Hamstew said:

I can't believe we haven't brought in a striker. Of all the positions. Don't get me wrong wrong we've done some good business but it's like Moyes is allergic to strikers.
    Will have to trust that he has something up his sleeves for one or two of our attacking midfielders.

I'm disappointed, but not really surprised. Abraham aside, we haven't been seriously linked with anyone all window.

I think it's clear now that Bowen is the Plan B. Vlasic coming in gives us another AM option, so if Bowen has to play up front, Fornals probably goes wide right with Benny on the left and Vlasic in the No10 role.

I guess worst case that gets us through until January, when we can try again. Having the Head of Recruitment in place next month may give us a chance of finding someone suitable.
  • I don't think there are many top strikers out there, not that I'm any kind of expert in these matters, and those who are cost a lot of cash. £34m for Abrahams, who is a prospect, goes to show this.
  • Ex called Kral a loan with a view to signing - so not an obligation. That's good.

• Why does it not sound like Coufal is saying West Ham?
  • Random comment, hypothetically of course......

With Noble leaving next season and if Rice was to leave next season....

Who would be our next captain ? Cresswell ? Antonio ?

Soucek imo
  • edited August 2021
    Ogbonna for me.
  • So are we done because i have a pizza and beer with my name on it
  • Looking forwards to seeing the new signing away at Manure, obs its second strings for both team, at least Lingard will finally get a game
  • edited August 2021
    So, in our current formation, we are looking at squad depth of:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Zouma - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Bowen - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio

Areola
    Fredericks - Dawson - Diop - Johnson
    Kral - Noble
    Yarmolenko - Lanzini - Masuaku
    Vlasic

(maybe this looks better in a 3-4-3 with Johnson as a RCB & Masuaku as a LWB)

It's not perfect - couple of players short of being a very strong squad with the right amount of depth - but we can field two sides. I thoroughly expect Bowen will play up top in the absence of Antonio & the three behind him will alternate.

I would say a 7.5/10 window. I would say one more attacking option would have made it a comfortable 8 & above. A LB & another forward are the next areas to address.
  • A decent striker would have made this 9/10.
    Delighted with the 4 we have signed though.
  • 7/10 window.....Added genuine quality

Not happy we didn't get a CF but the moves we have made are good

Zouma and Areola come straight in, both address two problems in our XI (not convinced Fab is good enough anymore)

Vlasic seems like an exciting prospect, adds cutting edge, speed and competition to our already exciting front 4

Kral also gives us a prospect who can potentially be a bargain and again, addresses a need for depth in an area we have little of

And Rice is still here!!

COVID is still a big issue, club made a big loss yet spend net about £60mil this summer

Very happy with the window after a frustrating start

More importantly, Kral & Vlasic squad numbers?

#thespreadsheet
  • Few last minute murmurings of Josh Doig...
  • Doig as cover at LB for £5m makes sense
  • Lukerz said:

Random comment, hypothetically of course......

#thespreadsheet
    Vlasic will have 11 I’d imagine. Kral I’d guess would be either 12 or 14 (Alves is technically our 14 but he’s out on loan)
  • Anyone seen Doig play? Any good?
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

#thespreadsheet
    Vlasic will have 11 I’d imagine. Kral I’d guess would be either 12 or 14 (Alves is technically our 14 but he’s out on loan)
    Noticed he was number 33 at Spartak
  • Anyone seen Doig play? Any good?

Highly rated in the same bracket as Robertson when he was north of the border according to ITK in Scotland.
  • Lukerz said:

alderz said:

Lukerz said:

#thespreadsheet
    Noticed he was number 33 at Spartak
    That’s a possibility then. It’s been clear since Cullen left. I was thinking 12 as he’s 21 for Czech, so that backwards, maybe?
  • alderz said:

Lukerz said:

#thespreadsheet
    Not sure on Vlasic and No11. Reckon we'll keep that open for a possible January move for Lingard. I think Vlasic 18 and, as Lukerz said, 33 for Kral.
  • edited August 2021

Anyone seen Doig play? Any good?

Was in the SPL team of the year for Season 20/21 (his debut full season). Promising reports on his engine and potential.

Would be a good purchase IMO. A young LB to provide Cress with some competition, and possibly be his long term successor. I'm a fan of Johnson, but he's a RB for me that can do a job at LB.
  • Yeah, I'm surprised we didn't move for him. Rumoured to be available for £5m, which should be affordable to a PL team, even on a tight-ish budget.

Maybe we will in January. Definitely need some succession planning for Cresswell.
  • Maybe we did. Have until midnight to complete paperwork as long as clubs notify PL it’s going ahead before window closes.
  • edited August 2021
    2021 Summer Transfer window officially closed!!!

Were any transfers slipped through last thing? Looks unlikely but we will see in the next couple of hours....

*(Fingers crossed thornbury!)