Transfer Deadline Day: The Yellow Tie Derby (Rav wore it best)

Comments

• I actually understand the Diop links

Hes on big wages for what would be a 4th choice CB, unless their are two injuries then he won't get gametime

Also we do go to a back 3 but Moyes likes Cresswell as the LCB so I don't think that makes it any more likely

This also gives a HUGE opportunity for young Baptiste, the club sure hope is the next Rice and he can be our 4th choice as he's already been named in our squads
  • edited August 2021
    According to Transfermarkt, Kral has played 35 senior games (out of 135) at centre back. If he's coming in as CM cover, maybe he could also share 4th choice CB duties with Baptiste.

• According to Football Manager database

• Beard/No beard.

100% Nikola Vlasic is better than Jesse Lingard.
  • Exactly. If in doubt, sign the beard.
  • Sky have just said Lingard is staying at Man Utd.
  • I'm curious to know what the club plan / hope to do with Winston Reid and Xande Silva.

Reid seems to be completely out of the clubs plans, but still has two years on his deal (at something like £75k pw?). It seems unlikely that he'll see out that contract, but we don't seem to be actively trying to shift him, he just seems forgotten.

Silva is 24 now, 25 in March. He's too old to be considered a development squad player, but clearly has no future here. I'm surprised he's not been shipped out yet.
  • Ex mentioned both in his latest podcast. The club are actively trying to get Silva out (a move was in place but the buying club were then placed under a transfer embargo), and the club are considering a 'mutual agreement' to pay Reid off.
  • I'd not be thrilled if Diop is let go; every time we've started the season with only 3 senior CBs it's been an issue and we've ended up scrabbling around in January for a temporary fix.

However, if Kral is coming in you could argue that he'd provide that 4th CB cover as well as cover behind the really established CM pairing of Rice and Soucek. I'd still rather keep Diop as I'd like to see if he can fulfill his potential alongside Zouma (when Ogbonna is injured or rested) and in front of Areola (surely it won't be long before he replaces Fabianski as first choice keeper), but I do understand that the clock is ticking on his contract (only a year left come next summer) and letting him go (even if only on loan) may mean he plays more football and might increase the fee we'd get for him.

Personally I think he'd end the season ahead of Dawson in our CB rankings if he stays, but if we get Kral it's not the end of the world if he goes.
  • edited August 2021

Ex mentioned both in his latest podcast. The club are actively trying to get Silva out (a move was in place but the buying club were then placed under a transfer embargo), and the club are considering a 'mutual agreement' to pay Reid off.

*Update*

Silva has returned to Aris Thessalonika, this time on a permanent deal, so says Twitter.

Edit: Is rumoured to be returning.
  • Is Reid even back at the club yet after his injury at the Olympics? It's a real shame, but I don't feel he'll make it back to a decent Premier League standard, and we really need to do whatever we can (within reason) to move him on.
  • We go for Lingard in January if he's not moving today. Will give a boost for the second half of the season and allow the newbies to bed in and get game time.
  • Not sure that Diop going out on loan is such a bad idea. Hopefully he will get a lot of game time and maybe impress Moyes and get back into our side. Oggy is unfortunately getting on a bit now.
  • I still feel we'll be light in attacking areas if we don't bring someone else in today, but I can see a January move for Lingard as well. Rashford is out for a few months so Man Utd get cover for him until Christmas, and then we'll lose Benrahma for the AFCON so we'll be even shorter than we are atm; additionally, the fee would have to have come down significantly as he'd be able to leave for nothing in a few more months, and Lingard himself might be fed up of the weekly visits to the nurse for splinter removal (whether from in the dugout if he makes it that far, or just in the stands).
  • Cant get rid of Diop with Europa on the horizon surely ?
  • edited August 2021
    I feel we're 3 players light of where we would like to be:

LB/LWB - Cresswell not getting any younger, Masuaku can't really play LB and has not been reliable fitness-wise, and Johnson is out of position although can just about do a job at LB (not at LWB imo).

CM - Huge drop off in quality from Rice and Soucek, so much so that it may necessitate a change of formation even if we'd prefer to stay with 4-2-3-1. 90 mins would be a real struggle for Noble imo, Lanzini offers something different but that wouldn't always be appropriate, and Coventry is both untested and looks like he's going out on loan.

Forward - Whether it's a CF, a winger or an AM, we still need someone extra that can play in a forward position imo. Really excited by Vlasic coming in, but that's still only one effective replacement covering 4 spots, one of which is occupied by Antonio with his glass hamstrings. Again a big drop off in quality to Yarmalenko and Lanzini, especially given the pacey and interchangeable nature of our first choice players and the style that has been so effective for us recently.

I'm really pleased with the quality of the 3 additions we've made (Dawson was here last season so I'm not really including him, even though technically he's a new signing too), but I'll be disappointed if we don't bring in at least one more in one of the positions I've outlined above; I'd be fairly happy with 2 of those, and it's fair to say I'd be overchuffed in the extremely unlikely event we fill all 3 of those gaps.
  • Rashford is already in (solo) training and has an October back in action forecast. Jesse is a mug for staying there
  • Just getting up here not even 7 am in Canada ,So valsic signs have i missed anything else ,A update would be nice wont take someone to long to do that for me =)
  • I don't rate as Diop as our 4th choice Centre Half but obviously DM appears to. He needs to stay, not only because of the additional games we have, but also he is seven years younger than Dawson who has started to show cracks in his game IMHO. I am all for utility players who would come in handy with cover for a few positions especially on loan deals.
  • You could try reading this thread😀
  • Presumably Kral is in the Czech Republic rather than Moscow, given their next game is at home.

That makes travel to the UK a bit easier if it's necessary.

But the Zouma deal was conducted in France, and the lack of video and photos around the Vlasic deal makes me think that was done outside of the UK too, so maybe everything can be done remotely nowadays.
  • edited August 2021
    steve said:

Just getting up here not even 7 am in Canada ,So valsic signs have i missed anything else ,A update would be nice wont take someone to long to do that for me =)

Yeah we finished 6th in the league and qualified for Europe :) Started the season off well too
  • edited August 2021
    So we have Rumours on:-

- Left Back (Tagliafico / Sanusi / Pellegrini)
    - Central Midfielder (Kral)
    - Attacking Midfielder (Vlasic / RLC / Lingard)
    - Striker (Origi)

added to the list

Signed:-

- Vlasic
  • Just got back from the gym, any news on shirt numbers?
  • Kral loan would be a very good acquisition, he's only young and a loan is pretty risk free

Also gives young Coventry as chance to get 30+ starts this season in the Championship
  • Kral would be great with option to buy ,Oh thanks Baz thats real helpfull =)
  • Slacker said:

Just got back from the gym, any news on shirt numbers?

Well, as you brought it up:

• I think it shows that Moyes knows what he is doing. I did feel we would get the required players but was starting to get slightly impatient following the rumoured back & fourth nature of the Zouma/Milenkovic deals, but it is clear Moyes has left his dealings late for a reason. You only have to compare the fees we have reportedly paid for Zouma (£29.8m according to Sky) & Vlasic (£25.7m according to Sky) & compare, for example Zouma's fee, with what Arsenal paid for Ben White earlier in the window (£50m, according to Sky).

You do get better value the later you do business, you do get a better deal & more willingness from clubs/players to move &, yes, it's easy to get swept up in the impatience of wanting signings early, but I can see why Moyes has left it late & it feels like a very deliberate ploy.