Transfer Deadline Day: The Yellow Tie Derby (Rav wore it best)

Comments

• There's a trade off though, isn't there.

Getting a player in early means they get a pre-season to get to know the club, the squad, the tactics, their role in the team... but they will probably cost more, and there will be fewer players available.

Getting a player later means there are likely to be more of them around, and you can get a bargain... but if they struggle to perform right away you will hear "when he gets a pre-season under his belt" / "when he settles" all year.

I think the reason we can afford to go late in the window is simply that our first XI is excellent, and didn't need immediate strengthening. If we had had an injury to Soucek in the Euros or something, we'd have probably spent most of our money on a CM to fill the void.
  • Have to agree with alderz ,Getting players in early means they can bed in .so if you have to spend a bit more so be it .Of course not my money
  • Slacker said:

Just got back from the gym, any news on shirt numbers?

I've got 5 for special occasions and about 10 for casual
  • Depends if you have a player for 4 years long term its not an issue and by waiting could be the difference from getting another player or the right player.
  • That's what I mean about the trade off. I'd rather get a Soucek at the end of a window than a Nordtveit at the start. It just comes down to what you need more, and whether you can roll the dice.

I'm happy that we have a manager that doesn't like to gamble so much.
  • edited August 2021
    Yeah, I suppose if you have greater need for players & a bigger transfer budget, you can afford to.

It really would not have surprised me had Moyes said to Sullivan back in June "let's hang fire until the back end of August & I'll go with what we have until then".
  • Slacker said:

Just got back from the gym, any news on shirt numbers?

Well, as you brought it up:

I know I’ve been having a laugh with you mate but THAT shirt number is sacred, I hope the lad lives up to it

• I guess it also depends on priority of target. Zouma had been rumoured to be the first choice. Vlasic 'heavily scouted'... A question of when players of priority are actually available for transfer or their clubs need to be coaxed. I wonder if we could've got both these players before their recent arrivals or it simply wasn't doable? Maybe Jesse clouded any attacking midfield acquisition for a good deal of time. I am happy with Vlasic instead for a number of reasons
  • Moyes also usually beds new signings in slowly

Think that's why he's more likely to not mind too much about later moves 8f it's better value

Plus our XI is strong, unless we were really unlucky with injuries the new guys likely would've been on the bench these first 3 games (maybe not Zouma)
  • edited August 2021
    Kyle Walker on SSN - West Ham’s only major signing is Soucek.
    I don't know why I bother with MUTV! 🤦‍♂️..... But at least we know what Ronaldo had for breakfast!
  • We haven't signed anyone for nearly four hours.

Getting restless.
  • Club talking to forward (winger)Jonathan Bamba from ExWHU
  • So we have Rumours on:-

- Left Back (Tagliafico / Sanusi / Pellegrini)
    - Central Midfielder (Kral)
    - Attacking Midfielder (Vlasic / RLC / Lingard)
    - Striker (Origi / Bamba)

added to the list

Signed:-

- Vlasic
  • I'm greatly relieved that Liverpool say they're keeping Origi and a club above them in the league say they're keeping Bowen. Unless it's a scam and there's a player exchange at the last minute. Best check Qanon...
    🤔
  • If I was putting money down, I think I’d say Kral and nothing else.
  • alderz said:

If I was putting money down, I think I’d say Kral and nothing else.

Right, I’m off to do something productive, shows over folks
  • Lukerz said:

alderz said:

If I was putting money down, I think I’d say Kral and nothing else.

Right, I’m off to do something productive, shows over folks
    Lukerz looking for something more productive than contributing to a deadline day thread

• So we have Rumours on:-

- Left Back (Tagliafico / Sanusi / Pellegrini)
    - Central Midfielder (Kral)
    - Attacking Midfielder (Vlasic / RLC / Lingard)
    - Striker (Origi / Bamba)

added to the list

Signed:-

- Vlasic

I would love us to get Tag, Kral and a striker (although not those linked). I’m already happy with our window but even one of those would be a very good window, 2 would be in wow territory.

I’m also in the don’t loan out Diop camp.
  • IronHerb said:

We go for Lingard in January if he's not moving today. Will give a boost for the second half of the season and allow the newbies to bed in and get game time.

This is my feeling also. Come January we could have progressed the Europa league, still be in the FA Cup and competitive in the upper third of the league , and have Benrhama heading off to AFCON, which would make sense to bring him in, we could of course have exited all of those cups and be in the bottom half of the league, meaning a 14th midfielder could be considered excessive.
  • I think Lingard is more likely to play in the second half of the season, than the first (for Man Utd that is). I felt a short term loan until January would have been ideal, with the option for him to extend for the season or return to Man Utd. In that time, he probably would need to sign a new deal.
  • I would like a Stevie Jones type signing
  • We missed Lingard against Palace. Can imagine he will be happy training with Ronaldo for a season
  • Ex says Kral close

Loan with option to buy for £12mil with add-ons to £17mil

No obligation though which means if it doesn't work we're under no pressure to activate it
  • Ex says Kral close

Loan with option to buy for £12mil with add-ons to £17mil

No obligation though which means if it doesn't work we're under no pressure to activate it

I like this a lot. Would be very pleased to get this one over the line.
  • Unless it's a scam and there's a player exchange at the last minute. Best check Qanon...
    🤔

I have checked QAnon. Apparently death rays are being directed from Italian satellites at the London Stadium.

Worrying times lie ahead.

• If we get Kral I think we have one the best midfields in the league outside the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool and Chelsea ,I reckon it's another good window for Moyes and co . Centre of defence improved , goalkeeper options improved, midfield improved.

I like this policy of quality over quantity we players coming in for the future rather than at the end of the careers . Still work to do on the team but its shaping up nicely
  • If we could just get some sort of back up striker in I'd say our transfer window has ended up being very very good.
  • I think Moyes will use Bowen Vlasic Yarmo through the middle if Antonio not available I would like another strong player to hold up play and bring the others into play with thier back to goal . Antonio very good at taking ball on the half way line then laying it off when we break in no's, not sure any of the others can do that.
  • I think Vlasic could