Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• I'm ok with that, £60mil would be a brilliant return on our investment for someone who is only worth £14mil

More than happy to include these options to get the deal across the line when our finances are tight

To be fair, he's worth more than £14m. If we get him for that, it's very, very good business; Fiorentina were said to be turning down £25m offers in January.
  • I can't shake the feeling that Abraham is going to happen once Lukaku to Chelsea is formally announced.

Feeling has now been shaken.
  • edited August 2021

I'm ok with that, £60mil would be a brilliant return on our investment for someone who is only worth £14mil

More than happy to include these options to get the deal across the line when our finances are tight

To be fair, he's worth more than £14m. If we get him for that, it's very, very good business; Fiorentina were said to be turning down £25m offers in January.
    Pandemic finances + market forces = ?
  • edited August 2021
    MrsGrey said:

I'm ok with that, £60mil would be a brilliant return on our investment for someone who is only worth £14mil

Yes, there are obviously reasons as to why he's (hopefully) signing for £14m (throw in the fact that he only had 12 months left on his contract), but he's 'worth' more than that, IMO at least.

Considering Ben White, who is the same age as Milenkovic but has considerably less top-flight and international experience, went for £50m, we could have ourselves an absolute steal.
  • MrsGrey said:

Yes, there are obviously reasons as to why he's (hopefully) signing for £14m (throw in the fact that he only had 12 months left on his contract), but he's 'worth' more than that, IMO at least.

Considering Ben White, who is the same age as Milenkovic but has considerably less top-flight and international experience, went for £50m, we could have ourselves an absolute steal.
    Maybe we’ve done a good job after all, then. Right players for the right price - not paying a premium to have them a month earlier…
  • Surely not. ☺️
  • Lukerz said:

Moyes has also done an interview for Sky saying that he wants further additions before the end of the window.

The round window or the square window (old school Jackanory!)
  • Jorderz, Appears not to be working with getting a striker in, eight months & still waiting. =)
  • edited August 2021
    Linked with Belotti from Torino this morning. Anyone know much about him? Remember him from the Euros, and think he was similar to Antonio, but mostly remember him for taking penalties in shoot outs.

Any good, or anything in this rumour?
  • edited August 2021
    About 5 or 6 years ago Belotti was meant to be the best thing since sliced bread, and hasn't really ever kicked on to to the level people were expecting. 92 goals in 210 Serie A games for midtable Torino suggests he's a good striker. 12 in 39 for Italy sort of confirms it*. According to a quick google search, Torino want €30m for him, and both Inter and AC Milan are interested in him.

*EDIT: Just saw that his Italy goals are against pretty bad opposition. 3 against Liechtenstein, 2 against Bosnia, and then 1 each against Macedonia, Saudi Arabia, Armenia, Bulgaria and San Marino.
  • Seems like we are close to Milenkovic but also in talks for Zouma. It seems unclear whether this is a Johnstone v Areola situation or whether we want two CBs.
  • I see he is on the final year of his contract, so a deal may be done if Moyes fancies him. He is 27, so perhaps fits “the profile”.
  • Jorderz, Appears not to be working with getting a striker in, eight months & still waiting. =)

Maybe we're waiting for the right striker at the right price. I'm going to reserve judgement until the window is closed.
  • edited August 2021
    Bazshuayi said:

The round window or the square window (old school Jackanory!)

Play School (round, square and arch windows)

If Leicester are after Vestergaard then I doubt they'd want Diop as well

Rumours that if Maddison goes to Arsenal Leicester will try to sign Lingard
  • edited August 2021
    There does seem to be a panic to get players in before we play Newcastle. Even if we signed Zouma, Milenkovic, Sima & Oxlade-Chamberlain by Friday, the chances are they would be on the bench at best anyway. Moyes is going to keep faith with the current 11 of last season before new additions come in. Fabianski is going to start over Areola, & quite rightly so.

Let’s see where we are at the end of the window. Our squad is going to be at it’s freshest on Sunday, our first 11 is already very good.
  • I understand why people want new signings before the Newcastle came, but we should have been good enough to beat them twice last season, and they haven't improved at all either. Whether we made 0 signings or 5, I would think this is a game the boss would be targeting for a win
  • Lukerz said:

Let’s see where we are at the end of the window. Our squad is going to be at it’s freshest on Sunday, our first 11 is already very good.

Whilst I agree that Moyes isn't the sort to throw someone, especially a defender, straight in, I would dispute that our first 11 is very good; Diop and Dawson are not a good pairing at CB, both play much better alongside Ogbonna who must be considered a big doubt.

Also, football isn't about just having a good first 11 any more, most teams fully utilise their 3 subs every game and we have absolutely no-one outside of that 11 that isn't a big step down (sorry to have to say that about Lanzini, but he's not the player he was before his injury). I honestly can't believe we're going to be starting the season with the squad we have at present.
  • The squad only becomes important once you are into the season. It doesn’t become important in August. If we require subs on Sunday, it will have to be Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Fredericks etc as attacking options & that is just the way it is.
  • Rumours are that the Sima deal is back on the "very slow burner", need to keep an eye out to see if he plays in their Champions League match tonight just in case that has any bearing on him leaving or not.
  • Moyes on talkSPORT
    “We feel that we need to…well I feel that we need to anyway, improve the team” 🤔
  • Lukerz said:

The squad only becomes important once you are into the season. It doesn’t become important in August. If we require subs on Sunday, it will have to be Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Fredericks etc as attacking options & that is just the way it is.

That may be the way it is, but it's far from acceptable imo, as is having to start with Dawson and Diop which looks increasingly likely. The squad is important in August, as we've got 2 players out (Ogbonna and Masuaku) who arguably would both start if fully fit (certainly Ogbonna would), yet due to lack of squad depth we'll be weaker on Sunday.
  • edited August 2021
    And starting with no real back-up for Antonio. I get we may address that issue before the window closes, but we're one sprint away from not having a striker available for the first three games of the season. Yes, we can play Bowen through the middle and Yarmolenko on the wing, but I don't think any team should really be 'making do' in the early games of the season given they've had months to sort out any issues.

I know we lost early games last season and still finished 6th so I far from panicking, just a bit miffed that we haven't addressed any of our (my) main areas of concerns.
  • Lukerz said:

Moyes on talkSPORT
    “We feel that we need to…well I feel that we need to anyway, improve the team” 🤔

🤔 Strange correction to make. A thinly-veiled dig at the board? Distancing himself from the potential fall-out if we don't sign enough players?
  • apparently in his talksport interview he said he wanted three more bodies in. 3 weeks left in the window.
  • Yeold, Someone best notify the Police then! 😁
  • apparently in his talksport interview he said he wanted three more bodies in. 3 weeks left in the window.

We're entering a signing a week territory :wahoo:

I miss the :wahoo: emoji
  • How about 🥳 ?
  • We're signing Burke and Hare to get the third body.
  • Has Milenkovic edged any closer today?
This discussion has been closed.