Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• WHU, So I pose the question what needs to happen for us to be able to compete financially in the transfer market with the bigger clubs, Leicester manage to be able to make their signings. They are even looking to buy a new CH just to cover for Fofana’s injury.

Honestly, there isn't really anything we can do...that's the reality of it

There are some ways
    A. We get bought by some multi billionaire who can throw money to the wind like City, Chelsea and now Aston Villas owners have done. But as of right now, no one of that level have tried to buy us.

B. We have to constantly overachieve, getting European football for a long period of time to increase revenues and using coaching to improve those we already have on the books.

C. The Leicester model! Try to find value in the market, hope some of those cheaper deals become better than you'd ever imagine. Then when you are put in the position where you will have to sell, you get top market value and that needs to be reinvested.

Truth is if it was so easy, there wouldn't be a 'top 6' but the reality is these clubs have rich owners, plus deep history, deep squads and worldwide appeal even when they do go a few years without European football

Overpaying when you have limited resources is not a way to get to that level

Getting Soucek £14m, Coufal £6m, Arreola £11m, Milenkovic £13m, Benrahma £25mil, Bowen £20mil and Dawson £2mil is a really good start to implementing the Leicester model
  • We need to keep Bowen.
  • We need to keep Bowen.

We will
  • alderz said:

Messi saying in his Barcelona conference that he did everything he could to stay and it was impossible to. The guy is with $600m estimated, and even with a 50% reduced salary he would have earned €80m a year. He could have played for a lot less and not noticed it. If he really wanted to stay he could have played for free, surely?

I think their situation is so bad that actually even if he'd agreed to play for free he wouldn't be allowed to play. Aguero and Depay are also supposedly not allowed to play until Barcelona clear a chunk of the debt. And as mad as his salary is, he probably makes that for Barcelona. He's the only reason to watch that team anymore, it's really not what it was a few years ago. They're going to be further in debt without him, I reckon.

The problem is the wages they've wasted on terrible signings. At their peak a lot of people loved them because they had so much talent through the academy, didn't wear a sponsor and had that anti-Franco narrative. Now they're one of the most soulless wrecks in football.
  • edited August 2021
    Liverpool are fretting over Robertson at the moment.

Edit: I missed the page change. 🙄
  • Outcast 👍🏻

The financial mismanagement at that club is absolutely disgusting. I’m not entirely sure what the deal is with La Liga FFP, but it seems to be a new situation?
  • I agree he brings too much for us to sell at his worth of 20-25m so it would take 35-40m and I don't see Liverpool offering that. The only consideration I did have is that he may be sold if they know Lingard is coming.
  • edited August 2021
    Bowen is more important than Lingard. If he's sold and we buy Lingard then it has to be for enough to also buy the next Bowen.
  • I thought that Moyes did have an interest ORIGInally =)
  • Origi = Would he be a better than nothing signing? 19 in 100 appearances for Liverpool.
  • A bit more context to that stat...

19 in 100 in the PL
    9 in 13 League Cup
    5 in 30 European games
    2 in 10 FA Cup

PL winner.
    CL winner.

In PL mostly a sub, because Liverpool have Mane, Salah and Firmino. And, you know ... if he was being picked ahead of them he'd be way out of our reach. And Liverpool wouldn't be selling.

tbh I haven't watched him play a huge amount, but I think he's a lot more than 'better than nothing'.
  • 👍. We are looking to purchase a player who isn’t a regular starter where other clubs do this. Obviously price is a factor here but would rather we got a striker in from Europe but understand DM wants one with PL experience which narrows the field somewhat.
  • edited August 2021
    Further context:

6 in 40 for Lille
    8 in 33 for Lille (loan)
    6 in 31 for Wolfsburg

I think it's fair to say he isn't a prolific scorer. That said, I actually wouldn't be averse to getting him for the right price because there's obviously something there for three top teams to have taken him on. Moyes seems to do well in bringing the best out of players and I have confidence that he could do a good job with Origi.
  • Don't really want Origi, just don't see anything there.....but he has those HUGE goals when Liverpool won the champions league

But yea I don't see much else, think he's living off those goals

But again, he'd be a sub, Antonio is a 1 goal in 2 striker, hard to get someone as good without going big which we aren't really in a position to do
  • Further context:

284 career appearances, 147 (51%) off the bench.

Of the 223 games that have a position noted on Transferkmarkt, 156 were as a striker, and 67 were on the wings or as a second striker.

IMO he is a similar sort of player to Antonio or Arnautovic, where they could play up front, but were more effective on the flanks until Moyes got hold of them. I'm not saying he's a star or anything, but as an option to play left, right or through the middle, I fully believe that Moyes would improve him a lot and he would be an effective weapon for us.
  • Looks like Leicester are signing Vestergaard from Saints.
  • Southampton are going down, aren't they
  • edited August 2021
    Origi can only be a loan. He'll be attractive as he covers any of the front four positions. For me, I see him as somebody who has never done enough to convince Liverpool (other clubs) he is worth playing (signing).

I am not so bothered about his goal record. We didn't struggle for goals last season, haven't in pre-season & I can't see us going blunt this season. It's more about his all round game & how he compliments our existing players. The goals will be shared around through Souček, Fornals, Bowen, Benrahma & Antonio with some random contributions from set-plays.
  • Being reported Willock to Newcastle - Armstrong & the Ox to Southampton.
  • edited August 2021
    alderz said:

Southampton are going down, aren't they

I don't know, Southampton keep selling their best players but somehow survive

Being reported Willock to Newcastle - Armstrong & the Ox to Southampton.

They've agreed a fee but does he want to move there permanently?
  • But they have now run out of best players.
  • I don't think Origi fits our style at all, he isn't a runner like Antonio at all, its one of the reasons Firmino always gets in ahead despite his poor scoring record for a top 6 club is because he is an absolute runner for every dead ball situation. Origi doesn't do that at all.
  • ASLEF

They are definitely one of the games survivors. I just can't see where they have enough this year. Selling your best players only works if you then invest the money in the squad, but over the last couple of years it seems like they're doing that less.

Yeold

Maybe I haven't watched enough of him, but my perception of Origi is that he's always been a runner down the flanks
  • edited August 2021
    Only going by the limited times I have seen them ( not stats ) , which admittedly isn't much, I think Abraham's would score more than Origi and would be the better signing. Obviously depends on money available and who Moyes thinks will fit into his master plan
  • IMO Firmino has been pretty consistent over the seasons in his goal and assist output since joining Liverpool. Yes, for a club that finishes as high as Liverpool, you'd expect a more prolific striker. But he stayed in the side because of his first class touch, vision and link up play (the high level of press is evident in most Liverpool first 11 if not all). Also, if you're linking up with Salah and passing to him in the box, you know you aren't getting it back :) Mane isnt as selfish but how many 1-2s does Firmino get back from either of them...

I don't think Origi would be a bad signing at all especially at around 15M. He's no mug, has big game/Europe/Prem/International experience and could play across the front three. Work rate wise, I don't think hes a slouch to be fair. Just my opinion though
  • yoyo said:

Only going by the limited times I have seen them ( not stats ) , which admittedly isn't much, I think Abraham's would score more than Origi and would be the better signing. Obviously depends on money available and who Moyes thinks will fit into his master plan

Abraham would cost about £30mil to £40mil whereas Origi is closer to £15mil which I think shows their respective abilities
  • edited August 2021
    We are not signing Abraham. The only way we get him is if nobody else stumps up for him & we sign him on loan. Moyes is not spending his whole budget on one player who isn't a dramatic enough improvement on Antonio.
  • Origi is very much in the Haller category than the Sakho category put it that way in my opinion.
    The only thing i see in him is that he will bring experience with him. But i dont think Origi will be a go-er anyway the guy will want massive wages. I also fear if we did drop 6 figure wages on him we will be witnessing Haller mk2.
  • Abrahams fee in inflated by some 30% imo because he is home grown.
This discussion has been closed.