Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Maybe I’m missing it in that blog post but I don’t understand how that clears the way for Isak. What stops us from going for him anyway?
  • I don't bother with www.hammers.news, just a pair of hacks who recycle other journos articles but have little to offer themselves

• From Sky Sports

This is snails pace ‘edging’
  • That's just a precis of all the rumours.
  • Why do we always seem to have elements of a transfer to sort out ,Just get it done and dont worry about the small stuff like personal terms and a medical =)
  • Yeah, that's not breaking news. That was the case yesterday, and on Saturday, and on Friday...

Like you say Lukerz, the pace at which we seem to conduct transfers is painfully slow. Rumour is that it's all down to the number of agents and intermediaries involved that want a slice of the pie, but it's frustrating when you see the Ings deal done seemingly so quickly and quietly, and yet this, as with the Areola signing, is dragged out for weeks.
  • Does anyone else think we have a striker lined up, and are just waiting for a few dominos to fall before we announce him? I mean, that can really be the only justifiable excuse for not having one in by now.

The alternative is that we have no plan, are trusting to luck that someone becomes available late in the window, and if they don't, that we're comfortable going into at least the first half of the season with one striker.

I can't shake the feeling that Abraham is going to happen once Lukaku to Chelsea is formally announced. We seem to have been reluctant to spend any actual money so far, so is that because the bulk of it is going on Moyes No1 striker target? I know there's rumours of Italy, or that he's holding out for Arsenal, but our seemingly relaxed attitude to having only Antonio up front surely means we know something is imminent. Doesn't it?
  • I think there is still hope Lingard may happen once the first couple of games are done & Moyes sees him as a forward signing
  • The Lingard ship has sailed for me. I'd rather we sign a proper out & out striker and that Benrahma gets more time.
  • edited August 2021

but it's frustrating when you see the Ings deal done seemingly so quickly and quietly

A quick google reveals that rumours about Ings wanting to leave go back many months. At least as far back as February there was speculation about it. Will he/won't he sign the new contact.

At the end of May he was supposedly on Spurs' shortlist.

Mid July, reports were that Ings to Villa was unlikely because he was holding out for Man U or Man City offers...

Meanwhile Villa were linked with Abrahams for a long time as a striker option....

Other clubs might seem to do things quickly and quietly, but I think that is sometimes because we are not paying attention to all the blogs and tweets. To the Villa fans, it's been a drawn-out saga.
  • edited August 2021
    Lukerz said:

I think there is still hope Lingard may happen once the first couple of games are done & Moyes sees him as a forward signing

Maybe. And if they're confident they can get him, then fine.

It just seems odd to me that our first signing was a 'keeper, where we already had three senior options, and our second signing is likely to be a CB, where we have Ogbonna, Dawson, Diop, Alves and, in a three, Cresswell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for strengthening across the pitch, which Areola and Milenkovic will do, but to not prioritise a position where we have one senior option just feels a bit wrong, unless, like I say, they have something lined up and know it'll be addressed soon.

'Hoping' that Lingard comes in September or January isn't the right policy, IMO.
  • OCS :+1:

I think that we'll sign Abraham after the Lukaku deal goes through. Probably on loan initially.
  • See a few people saying we need AM/LB due to losing Masuaku & Benrahma to AFCON in January 2022. Currently, that tournament runs between 9th January to 6th February; we have two scheduled league games during that period. We won't be signing players now to cover that.
  • https://www.westhamzone.com/news/west-ham-gsb-wont-pay-tammy-abraham-100k-wk-wages-exwhuemployee/

Apologies but don't shoot the messenger. You don't have to rate the source but there may be some truth to it?
  • edited August 2021
    I think there is merit to the theory of Abraham on loan as Chelsea will hate to see another player allowed to leave only to become a superstar, and Abraham has that potential, he may not but he certainly has the potential, so a loan may prevent that embarrassment again. They have just signed back Lukaku for 97m, they sold him for 28m previously.

They also know if he is a hit for us it will help them in their pursuit of Rice next summer.
  • edited August 2021
    c&bsky, Will we be willing to pay the salary he wants and as I posted above the domino effect is he goes to Atalanta to replace Zapata, if he joins Inter, as Lukaku has now left. Roma also want him & if they get him they will no longer be interested in Isak, and that is how we might be able to get him but it all costs money which we haven't got apparently.
  • Lukerz said:

See a few people saying we need AM/LB due to losing Masuaku & Benrahma to AFCON in January 2022. Currently, that tournament runs between 9th January to 6th February; we have two scheduled league games during that period. We won't be signing players now to cover that.

I've posted this before, but DR Congo did not qualify for AFCON, so we won't be losing Masuaku to it anyway.
  • edited August 2021

Lukerz said:

I think there is still hope Lingard may happen once the first couple of games are done & Moyes sees him as a forward signing

'Hoping' that Lingard comes in September or January isn't the right policy, IMO.
    But that is not the Clubs policy as far as we know, just the opinion of Lukerz.
  • edited August 2021
    What, you want us to read ALL your posts?
  • MrsGrey said:

Alderz' are so easy to skim past, too.
  • Personally think Moyes still sees Lingard as his main target..⚒️
  • MrsGrey said:

Alderz' are so easy to skim past, too.
    I only read yours when I'm struggling to get to sleep
  • Lukerz said:

See a few people saying we need AM/LB due to losing Masuaku & Benrahma to AFCON in January 2022. Currently, that tournament runs between 9th January to 6th February; we have two scheduled league games during that period. We won't be signing players now to cover that.

that will rapidly change, Cup games and a lot of rescheduled games will be moved around the time block before the winter break and after its more likely to be 6 games but i doubt we will be bringing in a replacement, but injuries + AFCON might force something in the January window to do so.
  • What rescheduled games?
  • Yes. What rescheduled games, tell me please.
  • Have we signed anyone yet?
  • edging closer!!!!
  • But edging closer to what? Falling through? 😀
This discussion has been closed.