Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Villa paid £30m for Ings

That is ridiculous
  • edited August 2021
    alderz said:

From the BBC article about Ings transfer.

BBC said:

Ings, who was about to enter the final year of his contract at St Mary's, turned down the offer of a four-year deal in July that would have made him the club's best paid player as he wants to test himself at a higher level.

Is it that much of a higher level? I get that Villa look like they’re going places more than Southampton do, but surely “a higher level” at 29 years old is Europe? And I’m not saying us either, as it would be very surprising for us to be a consistent European side, but like surely Spurs if Kane’s future is in limbo?
    Is that the Danny Ings who tested himself at Liverpool?
  • No, that's Danny Ings.
  • edited August 2021
    41 goals in 91 league games over the last three seasons. If he replicates that then £30m is a snip.
  • If he replicates the form after his unfortunate injury at Liverpool, think Villa have got a great player and deal… He’s only 29… not exactly past it..
    Can’t also agree with WHU saying he’s crooked, since Liverpool not convinced he’s missed anymore than let’s say Antonio…
    Luke- is it £30 million or £25 million…
    Either way, good deal IMO, he is a proven English striker with a great scoring record …

Just hope our lot know what they are doing, we surely need a minimum of 3 quality additions before start of season if we want to compete in the league and Europa cup…

As always we just seem a little late to the party, but hoping that the right players are signed sooner rather than later, or at least before the season starts 🙏⚒️
  • edited August 2021
    Lukerz said:

Villa paid £30m for Ings

That is ridiculous

It's a lot of money, but it's too early to say it's ridiculous. If he bangs in 15 goals a season for Villa for the next three years and gets them European football then arguably it's a good price, particularly if it doesn't restrict Dean Smith with other signings.

Bottom line is Smith wanted him, and his chairman met Southampton's valuation to get him his man.

Maybe as West Ham fans we've been conditioned to factor in a player's cost too much. Value for money has been Sullivan's driver for years, more often than not over who the manager at the time actually wants.
  • Just hope our lot know what they are doing, we surely need a minimum of 3 quality additions before start of season if we want to compete in the league and Europa cup…

As always we just seem a little late to the party, but hoping that the right players are signed sooner rather than later, or at least before the season starts 🙏⚒️

I doubt we'll see anyone in before the season starts. Our business seems to be driven by who represents the best deal; so I expect we'll wait until the last week to get anyone else in. EL doesn't begin for us until 16th September and I think Moyes/Sullivan have decided that we've got enough in the squad to get us through the first few PL games without reinforcements.
  • Ings value is also determined by his wages I bet he is on a hefty whack at Villa
  • edited August 2021
    Ings has one year left on his deal. £30m is ridiculous. But I suppose Villa have the cash & they’re desperate. Shows what happens when you cash in on a key player. That’s Bailey, Ings, Buendia for a total of £93m of the £100m they are getting for Grealish.

Would we be prepared to sell Rice for those sorts of signings?
  • Lukerz said:

Villa paid £30m for Ings

That is ridiculous

No more ridiculous than £45 million for Haller
  • Lukerz, No, I would expect us to sign a few top non EPL based players for that kind of money. Aston Villa have acquired two of their 3 signings from the inflated English market.
  • Why are Villa desperate? They got their man.

Antonio 83-26 / Ings 91-41 over the past three seasons.
  • Lukerz, No, I would expect us to sign a few top non EPL based players for that kind of money.

Check our home grown quota situation. Do we have the luxury of signing 3 foreign players... Depending on who we sell?
  • Also, now we not only have to meet PL ffp rules, but UEFAs as well. Which I think are slightly different.
  • There is no way FFP can be an issue for us with the wage slashing we have done over the last few transfer windows, it shouldn't even be a concern.
  • It is about more than wages.
  • IronHerb said:

Why are Villa desperate? They got their man.

Antonio 83-26 / Ings 91-41 over the past three seasons.

Is that a fair comparison when Antonio only played upfront for the last year and a half? Of course his goal returns are lower than someone who played CF that whole time?

It’s hard to use Transfermarkt on a phone, but as far as I can work out, Antonio has 19 in 37 since lockdown 1 ended. Ings had 19 in 39. I’d say any difference is negligible
  • My comparison was in response to Lukerz calling £30m for Ings ridiculous after he called Antonio a complete striker.
  • I’d rather have Antonio, currently, out of the two
  • Fact is we need a striker, if he's 'on par' with Antonio, then would have been a great signing...
    As said, hope this slowly, slowly approach pays off, but if we don't have another striker in soon IMO that would be a complete shambles.
  • I can just see GSB giving it large about takeover uncertainty and it's better not to spend

I just wish those leeches just went
  • edited August 2021
    Yeah, the timing of this really hasn't helped. Either go in at the end of the previous season, or at least wait until the transfer window is done. Going in now means the deal won't go through before the window closes, so no new money will be available to Moyes anyway, and will only destabilise things when the focus needs to be on improving the squad.
  • I don't listen to ex's podcast but people who do are posting pics of Phill Jones. Deary me.
  • Hamstew said:

I don't listen to ex's podcast but people who do are posting pics of Phill Jones. Deary me.

Because the latest Patreon update says Jones and Cahill are becoming serious considerations due to our lack of success elsewhere.

He's also reporting no defender is close (talks continue today but Milenkovic being targeted by Juve) and no attacker is close. Any deals are likely to happen in the last few days of the window.
  • edited August 2021
    MrsGrey said:

It is about more than wages.

but its mostly about wages as that is where the bulk of the money filters out of the club, FFP should not be an excuse for a club who has consistently slashed the wage bill over successive windows and just got rid of one of our highest earners in Felipe Anderson and Haller in recent windows.
  • I don't see any point in signing Phil Jones. He's very similar to Craig Dawson. We don't need two CBs who do the same thing.
  • I actually feel sorry for those taking kids to the game on Saturday. It sounds like it could get toxic. When I took my boy to the Burnley game it was horrendous for him.
  • Why would it be toxic? I really don't get this. We're on the verge of a season in the Europa League, having finished 6th last season, a win against Newcastle off the Champions League.

Yes, signings have been slow, but why is the atmosphere expected to be so bad?

(not moaning at you, Ham)
  • Lukerz said:

Why would it be toxic? I really don't get this. We're on the verge of a season in the Europa League, having finished 6th last season, a win against Newcastle off the Champions League.

Yes, signings have been slow, but why is the atmosphere expected to be so bad?

(not moaning at you, Ham)

Yeah I know mate. It's silly but that what some fans are like I guess. That Burnley game turned my eldest off of football so hope the same doesn't happen to others. Let's hope it's all just talk.
This discussion has been closed.