Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Lukerz said:

ExWHU says we aren't far off agreeing a fee with Chelsea but reached a stalemate over the fee so will look back in for Milenkovic and see what fee we could agree and then assess what is the better deal

Appears as though the club are willing to match Chelseas valuation, but think they can get Milenkovic for a better deal

Striker targers still haven't progressed

Pereira right now isn't close

Moyes still feel like they can get Lingard as he hasn't agreed a new contract yet

Barkley and Oxlade Chamberlain loan targets but they're last resorts to the other 2, could go to the end of the window

• Striker targers still haven't progressed

To be fair, they've only had eight months.

Quite how we can be this far along and still not have decided who to bid for, let alone have started that tortuous process, is beyond me.

And as for this 'better deal' business; if Moyes wants Zouma and we can afford Zouma and Zouma wants to come, just get it done! Why waste time seeing what they can get Milenkovic for? The driver should be who Moyes wants, not who represents the better deal for Sullivan.

Sounds like Moyes is prepared to wait until January for Lingard if necessary, which presumably means holding money back in this window in case Lingard decides he isn't getting enough game time at Man U. That lends itself to getting Ox/Barkley on loan as temporary cover, so I fully expect one or both of those to happen.
  • You imagine a frank convo was had between Moyes and JLingz about his interest in coming here & he must not have ruled it out. I know Ex says he doesn’t want to come here but JLingz can’t have told Moyes that. If he had, we would not be hanging around. He must have said he was open to a move & hadn’t ruled it out, but he wants to see what his future is at United.
  • Champo - if the rumours are true that Zouma wants to come here & we are only a few million away from a deal, I am pretty sure we will sign Zouma.

Chelsea are not exactly the sort of club who need cash, & they may feel helping us out now helps with any Rice transfer in future.
  • West Ham need a striker ,Kane goes on strike a coincedence I think not welcome Kane =)

• Striker targers still haven't progressed

To be fair, they've only had eight months.

Quite how we can be this far along and still not have decided who to bid for, let alone have started that tortuous process, is beyond me.

And as for this 'better deal' business; if Moyes wants Zouma and we can afford Zouma and Zouma wants to come, just get it done! Why waste time seeing what they can get Milenkovic for? The driver should be who Moyes wants, not who represents the better deal for Sullivan.

Sounds like Moyes is prepared to wait until January for Lingard if necessary, which presumably means holding money back in this window in case Lingard decides he isn't getting enough game time at Man U. That lends itself to getting Ox/Barkley on loan as temporary cover, so I fully expect one or both of those to happen.
    Don't see any issues seeing what is the better deal

From Ex's earlier tweet Moyes is happy with either of Zouma and Milenkovic, if we value Milenkovic at £13mil and Zouma at £20mil but can get Milenkovic for that and Zouma £25mil it would make sense to go for Milenkovic

The striker situation is worrying though, dont understand why it's not more of a priority
  • Lukerz said:

You imagine a frank convo was had between Moyes and JLingz about his interest in coming here & he must not have ruled it out. I know Ex says he doesn’t want to come here but JLingz can’t have told Moyes that. If he had, we would not be hanging around. He must have said he was open to a move & hadn’t ruled it out, but he wants to see what his future is at United.

It probably was, but it's a bit of a gamble on Moyes' part. Seems to be throwing all of eggs into a Lingard-shaped basket.

I suppose until Lingard signs a new deal, he's open to a move elsewhere; it's just can we afford to wait until January sitting on £20-£25m when our squad is so thin.

I don't think I'd mind waiting if we we're doing other business, but it seems like this is the one deal that's holding everything up in the attacking third. It seems like there's some money set aside for a CB, but what we do with a striker and attacking midfielder is entirely dependant on what happens with Lingard.
  • Barkley? Yuk!
  • edited August 2021
    Surely we should be buying the centre half we feel is the one that will improve the team, cost not being as big a consideration. We need players to join who want to play for us Jesse L appears to be showing he is not that keen to come back to us so move onto someone who has the right desire. David Moyes is reported to be looking for a CF who has premier league experience, who does that leave as with as they are normally more expensive?
  • It seems pretty clear to me that Moyes wants to sign Abraham, Zouma and Lingard and then he's done. To be able to afford those deals, you would assume they need to save money wherever they can. Negotiating with Milenkovic to bring down the Zouma fee is probably very important if we want a striker.

I get when people say "just pay the money" or "just get him in" or whatever, but if we do that with Zouma, if we'd done that with Johnstone, if we do it with Pereira, then we won't be getting a striker, as there won't be any money.

Having said all of that, I sort of feel like we will end up with Abraham on loan, and Chelsea will use him as a makeweight in a Rice deal next summer.
  • If Moyes wants a striker the same as Antonio, it’s going to be tough. If not, I would suggest somebody like Chris Wood at Burnley. Whilst we don’t play a target man style, it would give us something different & we do get plenty or crosses in from the full-backs.
  • Zouma over the other guy purely because hes got plenty of both Prem and Euro experience. Also a known threat from set pieces which totally suits us.

I am going to put my running spikes on before I type the following:

I'd take Abraham, Zouma + Loftus Cheek (who played well the other day and still has plenty of potential plus I dont like Barkley that much) and 20M for Rice ;)
  • Surely we should be buying the centre half we feel is the one that will improve the team, cost not being as big a consideration.

That's just awful management and the exact reason we're in the mess we're in, we have a finite amount of funds and we need to pick and choose our priorities

If we can get a player for similar (albeit slightly ifnerior) ability for half the price of the other one, then that money saved can be used in other areas of the squad

With that mindset we would've paid the £20mil WBA initially wanted for Johnstone then the £40mil Chelsea originally wanted then we'd be broke with no money to invest in other areas (like CB, CM, AM) and then run the risk of a situation like if Lingard came on the market for £15mil in the last week of the window
  • edited August 2021
    Imagine waiting until January to see if Lingard gets game time, only for him to stay up north and sign for Everton. Ridiculous plan. We have no guarantee he'll come here. If Moyes wants him then make an offer now and if it's a NO then move on. PLEASE get a striker in
  • Loftus Cheek has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself but doesn't hit the mark imo. He's not better than we already have.
  • IronHerb said:

Loftus Cheek has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself but doesn't hit the mark imo. He's not better than we already have.

Yep, please stay away
  • IronHerb said:

Loftus Cheek has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself but doesn't hit the mark imo. He's not better than we already have.

I like Loftus-Cheek. And I think he's definitely better than Noble and Coventry, and probably Lanzini as a CM too. For me, "better than we already have" is on a spectrum. Is he better than Rice or Soucek? No, definitely not. But if we're only after players that are we will need to find the end of a rainbow to fund it.
  • edited August 2021
    alderz said:

It seems pretty clear to me that Moyes wants to sign Abraham, Zouma and Lingard and then he's done.

I somehow see a sulli and salthouse special as the final outcome though

I'm not to fussed about Lingard, if he really wanted to come here he would be by now. We're just plan B if ollie doesn't please him.
  • Don't want Loftus-Cheek

He is on £150k a week and still struggles to keep himself fit....and when he does he's average at best (didn't really do anything at Fulham)

Plenty of better options
  • edited August 2021
    We’ll end up with Oxlade-Chamberlain on loan and Milenkovic, especially if Milenkovic is a cheaper option to Zouma.
  • I'd like Loftus-Cheek if we could get him at a good price.
  • Have we ever been linked to Loftus-Cheek, or did that just start on here?
  • edited August 2021
    That was just me preferring RLC over the linked Barkley as I think he's still got plenty of potential and I think Moyes would get that potential out of him
  • Have we ever been linked to Loftus-Cheek, or did that just start on here?

I think it started on here. But it’s gathering momentum. Could be another Mertesacker moment.
  • edited August 2021
    So Bazshuayi is to blame, it will be on Sky Sports shortly.
  • So if we can’t get Lingard, is it worth trying for Joe Willock from Arsenal?
  • If I held the purse strings I would've bought Pereira last month (I reckon Arsenal will squeeze 20M out of Newcastle for Willock so its a no from me)
  • edited August 2021
    #Bazshuayi,Bazshuayi, are you Salthouse in disguise? Are you.....# you know how it goes
  • Pereira is too similar to Benrahma for me, Moyes likes to mix it up. I can’t see him having both in the squad.

We had:
    Bowen - direct, left footed, tracks back, goals
    Fornals - tucks inside, helps out, good engine, assists, right footed
    Benrahma - two footed, skilful, a bit selfish, risk-taking, goal/assists
    Lingard - direct, pace, goals, dribbling ability
    Yarmolenko - left footed
This discussion has been closed.