Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• It really is a very slow news day as all I can find is the same old rehashed rubbish from last weeks transfer news hahaha

Doesn't haha still play for palace =)
  • There's a road in Woolwich called Haha rd.
  • Looks like the domino effect of Romero going to Spurs could scupper our chances of getting Milenkovic.

Juventus are keen on Milenkovic replacing Demiral, who is rumoured to be going to Atalanta to replace Romero.
  • I still maintain Moyes will end up with who he wants & the best deal possible. It’s not ideal that we have under two weeks until the season starts & our squad is weaker than it was when the season ended (Lingard), plus we will also be missing key first 11 players in Coufal, Rice & Souček who will not be fit to start against Newcastle.
  • Lukerz, "Not ideal" is seriously under stating it.
  • Athletic reporting £25m-£30m is the asking range for Pereira. We can wave that goodbye as we need a CB more, IMO.
  • Moyes has had since January to find the right players. He will have a list I am sure. The problem is the owners not wanting to spend. Time they sold up and left.
  • Moyes is likely to be keeping money back in the budget to go towards Lingard should anything change there as the window goes on.
  • edited August 2021

Lukerz, "Not ideal" is seriously under stating it.

Moyes is an old school manager. Amazingly, he believes in identifying value for money, but he also believes in his abilities as a manager & his coaching teams ability as coaches. One thing that annoys me about modern football is the constant turnover of players required, which is meant to equal improvement. There is also a scenario where players can maximise their ability by some decent coaching and management. Just because we haven’t signed 4/5 players already doesn’t mean some of the existing players will not maintain last seasons standards or improve on them. In the case of Lanzini, he’s gone from having no future here to now possibly being a deep-lying CM. That’s due to the coaching staff identifying some traits he has to play that position. These are the same people who made Cresswell a LCB, Masuaku a LWB, Arnie & Antonio strikers, gave Rice a debut as a CB. A classic case is Ogbonna. To me, he looked a headless chicken under Bilic & Pellegrini at times, Moyes & the coaching staff have turned him into one of the most composed CB’s in the league. Another is Fornals. I didn’t know what he offered under Pellegrini. Now he’s a vital cog in the team.
  • edited August 2021
    Lukerz. I think you are being pessimistic about Coufal and Soucek not being available for the Newcastle game and I would not be surprised if Rice started as well. With the levels of fitness they were at a short time ago for the Euros, they needed a rest but it won't take them long to get up to speed again.
  • Lukerz, That is all well and good. Like one of the great Liverpool managers of old once said no team cannot be improved upon. So I ask the question is there a better player to play LB/LWB out there, one to play CH, do we need a centre forward and the absence of Declan Rice at the end of last season indicated we need proper cover @ CDM IF we already had that within the squad then last season would possibly have not ended as it did? Who knows, but if you don't make improvements you just stand still & if your competitors do then you go backwards.
  • IF we're holding money back on the chance Lingard becomes available then IMO we should move on.
  • The latest Twitter rumours seem to be that although talks with Zouma continue, we have found a "cheaper alternative" (talksport), and a PL club that was interested in Pereira has decided that because he lacked defensive abilities he wasn't worth more than £15m. That club is now believed to be looking at "cheaper alternatives" (WBA Report).

Gary Cahill announces he's leaving Palace in the same week that we find a cheaper alternative to Zouma 🤔 Cynical? Me?

But in actual transfer news, we've signed another 'keeper.

Well, someone's got to fill the bench.
  • But in actual transfer news, we've signed another 'keeper.

Well, someone's got to fill the bench.

U23 keeper Brian Kinnear. Had a successful trial and joins on a free from Rangers.

12 month contract, so presumably in to cover the Trott and Anang loans. At least one of the three will presumably leave next summer.
  • Is there a chance we may keep Reid as a fourth choice centre back? Due to injury West Ham haven’t seen him for ages - would he really be a total liability at this level? I didn’t see him last season so interested in views on here, but IMO he’s better than some that are being talked about in the papers.

Could he still do a job for us? It would at least free up some money to focus on other positions?
  • Is there a chance we may keep Reid as a fourth choice centre back? Due to injury West Ham haven’t seen him for ages - would he really be a total liability at this level? I didn’t see him last season so interested in views on here, but IMO he’s better than some that are being talked about in the papers.

Could he still do a job for us? It would at least free up some money to focus on other positions?

We desperately need a starting CB imo, so he'd then be a 5th choice unless we also get rid of Diop or Dawson. Not sure he has any sort of future with us tbh.
  • If only Reid were still Reid..... that would be problem solved.
  • Reid was finished at this club years ago from a playing capacity.
  • LIterally at no point have I thought there was a risk that Declan would go on strike, demand to leave, anything like that.
  • He hasn’t had a chance yet to realise we haven’t made any outfield first team signings. ☹️
  • Interesting wording. 'Starting the season' at West Ham is one thing, but the transfer window is open for a good couple of weeks after the start.

Plenty of time for a bid still.
  • Were into the final month of the transfer window and only a goalkeeper on loan. Need to get some bodies in we have let more go than have brought in and we have an extra competition to deal with. Euros are over, pre-season is in effect. The business should really start happening there really isn't any excuses. Money was saved from selling Haller in January to be able to afford a striker.
  • Winston played a full 90 minutes against South Korea in the Olympics but only lasted 6 minutes against Honduras before he hobbled off with a left knee injury which looked likely to keep him out for the rest of the tournament.

He missed the game against Romania but was fit enough to start the quarter final against Japan and lasted 51 minutes before he had to be subbed off again.
  • Oh, so he can last half the game then?
  • I would be very surprised if Declan didn't conduct himself properly, which to my mind means he can refuse to sign his contract but whilst he is here he gives his all. If he does that, no issue. I clearly don't know the reality of the Kane situation but it would be very sad if he was refusing to train. You signed the contract Harry and would rightly expect to collect your wages for it's entirety regardless of injury or form, so grow up and turn out for your team if they want to retain your services according to that contract.
  • C+b. I agree up to a point, although Kane seems to believe he had a gentleman's agreement with the owner to be slowed to leave. Owner now denying it, so can see why Kane perhaps thinks the contract has been broken.
  • edited August 2021
    Lukerz said:

Which suggests to me he's not there, as it would 100% have been posted, and a little clip of him with a bag with a caption 'look who's back'.

🤔

LukerzITK returns…
  • MrsGrey said:

C+b. I agree up to a point, although Kane seems to believe he had a gentleman's agreement with the owner to be slowed to leave. Owner now denying it, so can see why Kane perhaps thinks the contract has been broken.

I don't think gentleman's agreements have any place in a business of such magnitude it would be very poor if his advisors and legal team allowed him to sign a multi- million pound agreement along with a gentleman's agreement. If it's an agreed understanding between both parties then write it up in the contract. I think if pushed it would be a reasonable decision by ourselves to get Rice to sign a new contract with a clause of £100m within it which can be triggered at any time from summer 2023. It ensures he gets a wage worthy of his value to the team and ensures we get to keep him for two more seasons and are only obliged to sell then for a price that suits us and would be reasonable to a buying club if his form continued.
This discussion has been closed.