Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• If injury the club will say
  • Let’s see what they give as a reason, if any, on BT @ 3 o’clock.
  • Minor knock, apparently
  • Is a minor knock for one of our players ,The same as a minor knock for other teams =)
  • I think he is in the category of for sale at the right price for us, which for me would be around 40m at present. I would say, Rice, Soucek, Antonio, Coufal and Ogbonna are not for sale but at the right price others could be available to create funds.
  • c&bsky, Everyone has their price but that figure differs if you are David Sullivan or Daniel Levy.
  • edited August 2021
    So I reckon we now need:

CB - a main one, superior to Dawson/Diop
    LB - who can play as a wing-back
    CM - to provide support & competition for the main two
    AM - to replace Lingard
    ST - to support/cover Antonio

Although I can see Moyes not signing a LB or a CM & being happy with Masuaku & Johnson as cover at LB & Noble, Lanzini & Coventry at CM.
  • Lukerz said:

So I reckon we now need:

AM - to replace Lingard

Although I can see Moyes not signing a LB or a CM & being happy with Masuaku & Johnson as cover at LB & Noble, Lanzini & Coventry at CM.

Pretty much how I see it

ExWHU seems to think that a new first XI CB is our priority (Milenkovic/Zouma), then a back up striker as Tammy deal is looking too expensive (like the loan deal for Embolo)
  • Couple of updates from Sky Sports (above)
  • I really hope they are not imagining they don't need another first eleven standard striker and can get a back up standard. Antonio will never go long without in injury so they need to do what they have with the keepers, a fully fledged no1 as well as Fab and they can both get games. The priority for me is Striker, centre back, Lingard replacement.
  • Yep, I think what we’ll see is the big money spent on a CB & then a couple of loan signings to fill gaps in the squad further forward.
  • Striker needed as an absolute priority. I can't actually believe we still haven't replaced Haller.
  • edited August 2021
    I don’t see AM as that necessary. It would help but Lingard was a weird in between replacement for a striker and it worked out but Benrahma did lose out. It’s a striker that we really need. An AM like Perreira would still be good as I don’t think he’d be treated as undroppable like Lingard was and it will be genuine competition between them but I don’t see it as us having lost a position we need to fill. Especially if we get a CM because we will have Bowen, Benrahma, Fornals and then Lanzini being able to play there or as CM. Also Yarmolenko for now. It depends on what formation we play as well.
  • edited August 2021

Striker needed as an absolute priority. I can't actually believe we still haven't replaced Haller.

I'm surprised we haven't sorted it. I'm equally surprised Antonio has made it this far into pre-season without getting injured.

It feels like there's a bit of a ticking timebomb situation here. Antonio's hamstrings will go at some point, and if they go before we have a suitable replacement, I think Moyes and the board will get some serious stick. Yes, Bowen can play through the middle, but if he does, who plays wide right?

I can't believe that they're only just finding out now what Abraham's wage demands are; as Moyes supposed first choice, you'd imagine those conversations were had with his agent months ago. If it was £140k p/w then, it won't have changed much since then. If he's too expensive, go all out for whoever is next on the list.
  • Lukerz said:

So I reckon we now need:

AM - to replace Lingard

Pretty much how I see it

ExWHU seems to think that a new first XI CB is our priority (Milenkovic/Zouma), then a back up striker as Tammy deal is looking too expensive (like the loan deal for Embolo)
    I think the bulk of the money will go on a CB and either Pereira or Lingard. Antonio's competition will either be Embolo or Sima; someone that can play centrally or our wide.
  • Embolo has had loads of injury problems.
  • Seems to be various reports saying West Ham are close to signing Pereira but there are a few saying Al-Hilal are the favourites as they are offering him £140k a week. To be fair, if he goes there for money reasons (which is fine), it’s not really the sort of player we want at the club.
  • Lukerz said:

Seems to be various reports saying West Ham are close to signing Pereira but there are a few saying Al-Hilal are the favourites as they are offering him £140k a week. To be fair, if he goes there for money reasons (which is fine), it’s not really the sort of player we want at the club.

Once again, pretty spot on

25 year old with plenty of options, if he goes for Money can't see him being a 'Moyes player'

Tbf no one seems to know, personally I can see us getting him
  • I don’t see AM as that necessary.

Don't agree with this at all. Given that there's been very little interest in a LWB, that Masuaku is as injury prone as Antonio, and that Johnson really isn't an option there, it looks like we're going to be predominantly playing 4-2-3-1.

We currently only have 3 players, plus Yarmolenko (who really isn't worth more than a 5 minute cameo in the Premier League and who most of us are very keen to move on if we can) to fill the 3 spots behind the striker. As much as I loved him there, Lanzini hasn't been the same player since his injury, so, we definitely need someone like Pereira or Lingard to come in imo.

I wonder how set on Abraham Moyes is. If the wages or fee is an issue, I wonder if Moyes might do something like the following wrt the forward places:

Offload Yarmolenko if at all possible.
    Secure Pereira ASAP, I think there will be competition for him if we leave it too late.
    Bring in Sima
    Sign Lingard late on in the window when it's obvious he really won't be getting much game time at Man Utd.

I genuinely think Moyes sees Bowen as a potential winger converted to CF like Arnie and Antonio. So, bring in Sima, and either of them can play up front or on the right wing. Sima is still young though, so won't expect to start. Lingard replaces Lingard from the tail end of last season, and Pereira is a huge upgrade on Yarmolenko in the 3 attacking midfield places even if not a direct replacement positionally.

This then gives us 6 and a half players (we'll never get more than half a season out of Antonio) to cover 4 attacking positions, with the degree of flexibility Moyes likes, and without a really big money signing that we've been so badly burnt on.

There's been talk we might get Pereira on a loan deal, if so, we should easily get Sima, Lingard and a CB for under £50m.

• I can see us signing Lingard on another loan deal at the back end of August.
  • why would they loan us Lingard if his contract is up end of next season ?
  • edited August 2021
    Is it not obvious to all already that Lingard won’t get much game time at Man Utd? I think ŵe need to move on from him.
  • Striker needed as an absolute priority. I can't actually believe we still haven't replaced Haller.

I'm surprised we haven't sorted it. I'm equally surprised Antonio has made it this far into pre-season without getting injured.

It feels like there's a bit of a ticking timebomb situation here. Antonio's hamstrings will go at some point, and if they go before we have a suitable replacement, I think Moyes and the board will get some serious stick. Yes, Bowen can play through the middle, but if he does, who plays wide right?

I can't believe that they're only just finding out now what Abraham's wage demands are; as Moyes supposed first choice, you'd imagine those conversations were had with his agent months ago. If it was £140k p/w then, it won't have changed much since then. If he's too expensive, go all out for whoever is next on the list.
    Maybe they are, who knows?
    Let’s be honest here,nobody has really got a scooby what’s going on the transfer front have we?

• Of course we don't. But this is a transfer speculation thread, so people will speculate.
  • edited August 2021
    Being reported on Twitter that Abraham doesn’t want to join, Lingard doesn’t either & Pereira is not close.
  • That’s ok as we weren’t really wasting the major part of the transfer window pursuing them as we all know our real targets are going to arrive shortly. 😉
  • If they don't want to join then good. We seem to have a good team spirit, we don't want players being here if they don't really want to be here.
This discussion has been closed.