Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Not much we can do if he doesn't want to come. I think he would have been ideal but no choice but to move on if the reports are true.
  • Lukerz said:

Being reported on Twitter that Abraham doesn’t want to join, Lingard doesn’t either & Pereira is not close.

Who is reporting it specifically, out of interest?
  • Ex.

His transfer round up makes pretty depressing reading.
  • Further to Lukerz's points, we're interested in both Milenkovic and Zouma; the former's price has come down to something close to our valuation of him, but the preference seems to be for the latter, for which an agreeable fee looks to be much more difficult.

I expect any further deals to be dragged out until the last week of the window.
  • Really not bothered about Tammy. I personally don't rate him. I am concerned that we still haven't got a striker in though.
  • The clocks ticking & we can all see how this usually ends. ☹️
  • Lukerz said:

Being reported on Twitter that Abraham doesn’t want to join, Lingard doesn’t either & Pereira is not close.

Who is reporting it specifically, out of interest?
    Ex was asked on Twitter yesterday if Abraham was our main target. He answered

"He is still a target but I think his wage demands have put us off a bit at the moment (other options being explored) and centre back is being focussed on for now"

On Zouma and Milenkovic he said

"Both are being spoken to but from what I have heard Zouma is the preferred option".
  • I read that Abraham wanted a pay hike from 85k to 140k pw that would cause too many problems with our wage structure and I don’t think he is worth it
  • I think a lot of clubs because of the pandemic are holding out to try and get the best value when selling and buying more so than normal. Can see a lot of deals going down to the final days of the window
  • edited August 2021
    It does seem to make sense to delay talks with WBA until we have a CB, which seems to be the noise on Twitter. Milenkovic or Zouma are the preferred targets where I imagine our transfer spend will go. Once one of those are secured, we will then pursue other options depending on what is left.
  • I don’t see AM as that necessary.

Don't agree with this at all. Given that there's been very little interest in a LWB, that Masuaku is as injury prone as Antonio, and that Johnson really isn't an option there, it looks like we're going to be predominantly playing 4-2-3-1.

We currently only have 3 players, plus Yarmolenko (who really isn't worth more than a 5 minute cameo in the Premier League and who most of us are very keen to move on if we can) to fill the 3 spots behind the striker. As much as I loved him there, Lanzini hasn't been the same player since his injury, so, we definitely need someone like Pereira or Lingard to come in imo.

I wonder how set on Abraham Moyes is. If the wages or fee is an issue, I wonder if Moyes might do something like the following wrt the forward places:

Offload Yarmolenko if at all possible.
    Secure Pereira ASAP, I think there will be competition for him if we leave it too late.
    Bring in Sima
    Sign Lingard late on in the window when it's obvious he really won't be getting much game time at Man Utd.

I genuinely think Moyes sees Bowen as a potential winger converted to CF like Arnie and Antonio. So, bring in Sima, and either of them can play up front or on the right wing. Sima is still young though, so won't expect to start. Lingard replaces Lingard from the tail end of last season, and Pereira is a huge upgrade on Yarmolenko in the 3 attacking midfield places even if not a direct replacement positionally.

This then gives us 6 and a half players (we'll never get more than half a season out of Antonio) to cover 4 attacking positions, with the degree of flexibility Moyes likes, and without a really big money signing that we've been so badly burnt on.

There's been talk we might get Pereira on a loan deal, if so, we should easily get Sima, Lingard and a CB for under £50m.

This would depend.

I still think Moyes sees our future as a 3-4-3, which places less emphasis on attacking midfielders.

In that formation, two of Bowen/Benrahma/Fornals/Lanzini/Yarmolenko would be selected behind Antonio, with further width being provided by Masuaku & Coufal. Moyes also seems to have experimented with Johnson as a RM/RW & Masuaku as a LM/LW.
  • Josh Doig, Hibs left back up for grabs for about £5million. Sounds like a Moyes signing.
  • Lukerz said:

It does seem to make sense to delay talks with WBA until we have a CB, which seems to be the noise on Twitter. Milenkovic or Zouma are the preferred targets where I imagine our transfer spend will go. Once one of those are secured, we will then pursue other options depending on what is left.

Surely a PL club can negotiate multiple deals and scenarios at the same. And if money is as tight as is being suggested, surely Milenkovic at £15m is better than Zouma at a reported £25m if both are on the shortlist? That would give Moyes a player he wants and an extra £10m to spend elsewhere, and more time too, if we got the Milenkovic deal done now rather than wait another couple of weeks for Zouma.

Just feels like things are being deliberately dragged out. We were told in January the right striker wasn't available and we'd wait until the summer to get one. Then we were told that transfers wouldn't happen until Moyes was back. Then it was when the Euros were over. And now things are still being delayed because Moyes' No1 target has suddenly become too expensive.
  • Josh Doig, Hibs left back up for grabs for about £5million. Sounds like a Moyes signing.

It does, but the talk is that we're not prepared to offer the £5m. Other teams ahead of us that are.
  • Also, where is this Head of Recruitment the official website said was close to being appointed, about a month ago?
  • He's on gardening leave till after the window.
  • edited August 2021

OCS
    Just feels like things are being deliberately dragged out. We were told in January the right striker wasn't available and we'd wait until the summer to get one. Then we were told that transfers wouldn't happen until Moyes was back. Then it was when the Euros were over. And now things are still being delayed because Moyes' No1 target has suddenly become too expensive.
    All of that is just rumour though. So while I'm not disputing your right to feel what you feel, I don't agree with it as a conclusion :-)
  • OCS, The Josh Doig situation is similar to the one with Andy Robertson, when he was still in Scotland, we didn't want to pay the fee and I wonder what has happened to him since?

Lukerz, He is on garden leave until after the current window closes, good planning by us again!
  • edited August 2021
    It's rumour to an extent, but from an ITK that I believe is genuinely ITK.
  • OCS, The Josh Doig situation is similar to the one with Andy Robertson, when he was still in Scotland, we didn't want to pay the fee and I wonder what has happened to him since?

It was when he was at Hull. Slav wanted him by all accounts but the club wouldn't meet the £8m fee.

We went for Stephen Hendrie instead.

One went on to win the PL and CL at Liverpool, the other has just been released by Morecambe.
  • edited August 2021

I don’t see AM as that necessary.

Offload Yarmolenko if at all possible.
    Secure Pereira ASAP, I think there will be competition for him if we leave it too late.
    Bring in Sima
    Sign Lingard late on in the window when it's obvious he really won't be getting much game time at Man Utd.

Those would be great signings but I just don’t think we’re going to have the money for this. I think a LB/LWB is important. A CM probably is as well, even if we use Lanzini there because we need defensive ability there. And we have to get a striker.

I’d like us to get one AM and I would prefer Perreira over Lingard as I think he’s actually got more variety to his game. But if it costs one of the other positions then that’s the problem. Lingard needs to be replaced with a striker. An AM is a bonus.
  • edited August 2021

I’d like us to get one AM and I would prefer Perreira over Lingard as I think he’s actually got more variety to his game. But if it costs one of the other positions then that’s the problem. Lingard needs to be replaced with a striker. An AM is a bonus.

Lingard was sold to the sceptical fans as an option at AM and ST. If he isn't coming back, then arguably we need both positions filling.

I'd like to see Pereira and Sima. That gives us Benrahma, Pereira and Fornals as AM options, and Antonio, Sima and Bowen as AM and ST options.

Media are reporting a fee of £4 million. We asked for a reduction & Hibernian have seemingly given one of 20% but it appears that still isn't enough?
  • edited August 2021
    I suspect the PAI bid has not helped here. If GSB are thinking of selling and perceive they will lose out a bit in payments for early sale, they may also be thinking funding transfers is not worth it. Hopefully I am completely wrong and will soon be pleasantly surprised.

It was when he was at Hull. Slav wanted him by all accounts but the club wouldn't meet the £8m fee.

One went on to win the PL and CL at Liverpool, the other has just been released by Morecambe.
    That's untrue

We were interested in Robertson in 2014 BEFORE he moved to Hull (his words) but we got Cresswell instead (who was just coming off being in the championship team of the year)

We got Hendrie summer 2015 and Hull sold Robertson to Liverpool for £8mil summer 2017

Obviously we missed out because Robertson became world class but Cresswell was among our best ever signings before whe got injured and has been a great servant

If anything that just highlights how risky signing young players can be, Hendrie had over 100 appearances before he joined us and it didn't work out
  • Still don't get why we have not got a striker in yet. Sold Haller in January and are still floundering.
  • edited August 2021

OCS, The Josh Doig situation is similar to the one with Andy Robertson, when he was still in Scotland, we didn't want to pay the fee and I wonder what has happened to him since?

That's untrue

We were interested in Robertson in 2014 BEFORE he moved to Hull (his words) but we got Cresswell instead (who was just coming off being in the championship team of the year)

We got Hendrie summer 2015 and Hull sold Robertson to Liverpool for £8mil summer 2017

Obviously we missed out because Robertson became world class but Cresswell was among our best ever signings before whe got injured and has been a great servant

If anything that just highlights how risky signing young players can be, Hendrie had over 100 appearances before he joined us and it didn't work out

We bid for him when he was at Hull as well. This is what I was referring to:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11714/10516672/hull-turn-down-west-hams-7m-transfer-bid-for-andrew-robertson

I thought Hendrie came in then as an alternative, but yes, he signed in 2015. Masuaku came in a month after this bid so it looks like it was a Robertson/Masuaku either/or.
  • See Harry Kane has not shown for Spurs training today, seemingly 'on strike'.

Declan is also due back today, but nothing on WHUFC Twitter as yet...
  • Does anyone know what the deadline is for submitting our Europa League squad is? Depending on the date this should hopefully sharpen our focus on getting our transfers completed if the start of the Premier League season isn't enough to do so.
  • edited August 2021
    Lukerz said:

This would depend.

I still think Moyes sees our future as a 3-4-3, which places less emphasis on attacking midfielders.

In that formation, two of Bowen/Benrahma/Fornals/Lanzini/Yarmolenko would be selected behind Antonio, with further width being provided by Masuaku & Coufal. Moyes also seems to have experimented with Johnson as a RM/RW & Masuaku as a LM/LW.

That's all well and good, but we currently have only Masuaku to play LWB and he's had a lot of injury issues in the last year and is currently well behind the rest of the squad in his pre-season. Johnson really isn't an option there imo; he might be able to cover LB, but he really doesn't offer enough going forward as a LWB imo. If we're going to be playing 3-4-3 we desperately need a LWB, and although I accept we could be in for one completely under the radar, we're struggling enough to fill other positions so I don't get the impression this is a priority.

For what it's worth, I like us playing that formation, but without a new LWB we won't have to players to make it effective whenever Masuaku is unavailable, which unfortunately seems to be quite often atm.
This discussion has been closed.