Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• alderz said:

Lukerz said:

West Ham have made a new offer of £11m to West Brom for Sam Johnstone, Football Insider can confirm.

It's pretty funny that we offered £10m, they said £20m, and we went elsewhere. Then they went "ok fine, £12m" and we still won't offer that.

(All allegedly, you understand)
    Didn't we offer £6mil?
  • edited July 2021
    alderz said:

Lukerz said:

West Ham have made a new offer of £11m to West Brom for Sam Johnstone, Football Insider can confirm.

It's pretty funny that we offered £10m, they said £20m, and we went elsewhere. Then they went "ok fine, £12m" and we still won't offer that.

(All allegedly, you understand)
    Haggling. If they came back to us voluntarily and said 12 it's obvious they'll go lower. Isn't it?

Not that I'm an expert haggler. I did drive a hard bargain in an Istanbul bazaar once, only to realise after I'd done the conversion from lira into pounds that I'd saved about 10p.
  • They probably still owe us for Diangana so a deal is likely to be done I’d think given they are now relegated.
  • I think Abraham will become the next Lukaku, wherever he goes this summer he will impress and be valued much more in a couple of years. He is only 23 but has so many natural attributes just as Lukaku did. I think he is worth 30m of anyone's money in the premiership and he will improve any side out of the big four.
  • If he becomes the next Lukaku then he'll always score against us. Another reason to buy him!
  • Would like to see some fast movement on transfers though. 2 pre season games left right ?
    I hope we don't leave it to the last minute i dont think this is a last minute market this window.
  • MrsGrey said:

Haggling. If they came back to us voluntarily and said 12 it's obvious they'll go lower. Isn't it?

Not that I'm an expert haggler. I did drive a hard bargain in an Istanbul bazaar once, only to realise after I'd done the conversion from lira into pounds that I'd saved about 10p.

• That is in my top 5 all time favourite films of all time.
  • edited July 2021
    Manchester Evening News reckons that Kane is about to sign with City for £160m

Grealish has agreed personal terms with City too

And Son has just signed a new 4-year deal with Spurs

The Athletic say we've slapped a £35m price tag on Bowen
  • Athletic article says Bowen's not for sale but it would have to be over £35m to even consider talks.
  • He's worth more than that to us imo
  • Still discussing how much we might accept for our players but still no one coming in!
  • If we got £40mil for Liverpool I still think that's a good goal, pretty much double what we paid for him and while he's been good he's not been amazing

Don't think there is much between him and Pereira who could cost about £25mil
  • I'm really struggling with a plan to let a player go, for a profit I agree, to then purchase a replacement. I had hoped we would be adding to our existing squad not weaken it. Is it any wonder Declan Rice won't sign a new deal if that was to be the way the club are now thinking which I can't see the sense in anyway. Rumours of us trying to get the price reduced on three of our targets?
  • There isn't 'a plan' to let a player go....

.... and if there are rumours about our negotiating for 3 players doesn't that suggest we are trying to add to our squad?
  • I'm really struggling with a plan to let a player go, for a profit I agree, to then purchase a replacement. I had hoped we would be adding to our existing squad not weaken it. Is it any wonder Declan Rice won't sign a new deal if that was to be the way the club are now thinking which I can't see the sense in anyway. Rumours of us trying to get the price reduced on three of our targets?

So you want us to spend money but you don't want us selling players for a profit?

And it's not about pocketing the 'hypothetical' £15mil it's about using that £15mil we've gained from the sale and putting it towards a striker we all want that IMPROVES the overall squad quality even its a slight downgrade
  • MrsGrey said:

There isn't 'a plan' to let a player go....

.... and if there are rumours about our negotiating for 3 players doesn't that suggest we are trying to add to our squad?

I agree MrsGrey, but like most I hope the incomings are more than rumours.
  • edited July 2021
    Mrs G, I am not saying it's a plan by the club. I was interpreting, probably in some peoples eyes wrongly, what WHU said @ 11.58 as possibly a plan or at least an idea!

WHU, Yes I do want us to spend money on upgrades & ideally hang onto our better players as well especially as we appear to be unable to find the right players at the moment to add to the squad whilst our rivals...... If we were to sell Bowen where do we expect to find his replacement from, who is as good with the expectation of getting even better, as it's seems to have taken over six months & we still don't have our new centre forward?
  • I’ve just seen Man Utd have paid £73m for Sancho - makes you wonder what must some of our players be worth?
  • To Man U?
  • In my view that's much better business than these figures being suggested for Kane to Man City.
  • MrsGrey said:

To Man U?

Yes, the ones Lingard has a great future with🤪
  • Not saying it’s going to happen but I’d for one be gutted to see Bowen leave , since joining he’s IMO done very well and contributed much more than , let’s say Benrahma….just my opinion of course….
    👍🏻
  • Forget about Lingard (sorry!), buy Pereira, keep Bowen - sorted.

Now about that centre forward………
  • I've said before, I think when Bowen matures more ( and with decent coaching ) he could be another Vardy/Ings type striker.
  • edited July 2021
    Funnier things have happened but to me he is not a champions league player, I am very happy to have him and feel we are his level. Wiki states that we paid 18m for him with 7m of add ons, if Liverpool wanted to pay 40m for him I would take it to reinvest but there is no point selling for 20-25m as we would only get as good as he is anyhow if we were lucky, he gives us speed on the counter more than anything.

We had a good mix with Bowen, Benni and Lingard at the end of last season, Bowen was direct route with speed, Benni could beat a player and play a ball and Lingard was the most complete but primarily could carry the ball forward and finish.
  • Soooo, anyone else think that if Pogba goes to PSG as rumoured, Man Utd will bid for Rice?
  • edited July 2021
    Rumours are they will go for Neves, Camavinga or Goretzka but let’s not start a debate on Manchester United transfers as we have too many of ours to discuss don’t we?
  • Soooo, anyone else think that if Pogba goes to PSG as rumoured, Man Utd will bid for Rice?

Different players, they are already overly reliant on creativity from midfield from Fernandes, and while Sancho helps their creativity if Fernandes is injured they'd struggle without Pogba in the middle

They arguably need to replace him with a more playmaker styled CM than Rice, although he'd be a big upgrade of McTominay
  • McTominay and Fred seem to have been the preferred central midfield pairing last season but Matic and van de Beek also played there so Man U aren't in desperate need for a replacement for Pogba.
This discussion has been closed.