Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Why is Rice knocking back contracts news? He has 3/4 years left. He won’t sign a new deal during a transfer window as he clearly wants to keep options open. The only way he’ll sign is if he’s still here after the summer. It’s a bit like the Scott Parker situation a few years ago. He had a great season, was linked with various clubs all window, signed a new deal the day after it shut.
  • I miss Boleyn Insider
  • Lukerz said:

I miss Boleyn Insider

He might be back now he's left the women's team.
  • the last few windows outgoings are greater than incoming, I hope Moyes has a plan as a small squad leaves us putting Expat on the bench with Wombat :pleased:

I had better pop down sports direct and get myself a pair of boots ready for the season otherwise I will be playing in loafers or flip flops.
  • Wombat - might be worth trying the charity shops to see if you can get a pair that used to belong to 'Dead Shot Keen' (Billy's boots) =)
  • Wombat - might be worth trying the charity shops to see if you can get a pair that used to belong to 'Dead Shot Keen' (Billy's boots) =)

Or even better, a pair owned by an ex Leeds player =)
  • Apparantly made a bid (this is rumourednto be the 3rd) for Rangers 19 year old winger Kai Kennedy, the player and agent themselves have admitted we've made a bit

Also still interested in Hibs Left back Josh Doig (also 19)

Given we've already confirmed Oxo-Flex, seems like Moyes & his team are using his knowledge of Scottish football to try unearth a potential gem
  • The Athletic reporting that West Brom have lowered there valuation of Sam Johnstone from £20m to £12m as they want to cash in on him this summer.

If this is true, given Johnstone is a Salthouse client, I can see us going back in.
  • The Athletic reporting that West Brom have lowered there valuation of Sam Johnstone from £20m to £12m as they want to cash in on him this summer.

If this is true, given Johnstone is a Salthouse client, I can see us going back in.

Can't see it if we bring in Areola

Ngl I don't know who's better, both seemed to do well last year

From the eye test, Areola seems the better option but don't watch a lot of neutral football other that MOTD

No way we bring in 2 goalkeepers with Fab still here
  • Areola looks like a loan so he might be a way to save money short term. On the other hand, if we’re looking for a Fabianski replacement you’d think a good deal for Johnson would be more sensible long term in case we can’t sign Areola next season.

Can't see it if we bring in Areola

Ngl I don't know who's better, both seemed to do well last year

From the eye test, Areola seems the better option but don't watch a lot of neutral football other that MOTD

No way we bring in 2 goalkeepers with Fab still here
    It'll be either or. From what I've read, Areola would be an expensive loan, i.e. big loan fee and high wages, but cheaper in the short-term than spending £12m on Johnstone.

But if Areola impresses, he may actually cost more in the long term, i.e. we'll buy him next summer for £15m and continue with the high wages over four or five years.

They're both 28, both of a similar ability from what I've seen of them, so probably not a lot in it. Johnstone will probably be cheaper in the long-run (assuming we'd want to sign Areola at the end of the loan), so I think he's probably more likely. And, you know, Salthouse.
  • Also, Nathan Trott has gone out on loan, so I'm fairly sure we'll be bringing a 'keeper in.
  • https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/exwhuemployee-lifts-lid-on-why-declan-rice-has-not-signed-a-new-contract-at-west-ham-yet/

I can understand his concerns as he isn't the first player wanting the club to show they are able to sign the upgrades we need.
  • https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/exwhuemployee-lifts-lid-on-why-declan-rice-has-not-signed-a-new-contract-at-west-ham-yet/

I can understand his concerns as he isn't the first player wanting the club to show they are able to sign the upgrades we need.

Tbf think he goes regardless

Hes outgrown the club and we just have to accept that, we can't compete financially even if we did get into the champions league

Doesn't say he's pushing for a move and with 3 years left it's a bit of a non starter

He also said on twitter He doesn't want to get into a Zaha situation and that makes sense

Tbf think he goes regardless

Hes outgrown the club and we just have to accept that, we can't compete financially even if we did get into the champions league

Doesn't say he's pushing for a move and with 3 years left it's a bit of a non starter

He also said on twitter He doesn't want to get into a Zaha situation and that makes sense
    And failing that our valuation of him is £100mil so if someone wants to give us that then that would be a terrific deal for the club
  • WHU, Sadly I agree but whose fault is it that we can't compete financially because we moved from Upton Park with that in mind?
  • He's not going unless we receive a ridiculous offer.
  • edited July 2021
    I don't get how people expect G&S to endlessly fund transfers. Also, it doesn't have to be mega money spending. It just has to be support provided to Moyes, who will identify value for money targets. We won't sign Abraham, as Moyes will not see £30m plus on him as value for money. So we'll sign another forward who will probably turn out to be a gem of a player, who nobody has heard of, & he will rise in value.

I have said it before, the main thing this club has done wrong is buy badly. It's not sustainable. We have a poor history of signing players, for reasonable fees, who turn out into quality players, who we can then sell for vast sums & start the cycle again. It's why Leicester have been so successful over the last few years. Mahrez, Maguire, Drinkwater, Chillwell, Kante. These are all key players who they signed for peanuts & sold for millions. They are no worse off. The money goes into the club, the relevant percentage to the transfer budget & they then buy well again...Tielemens, Ndidi, Forfana, Maddison etc. In that time they have qualified for Europe, won the Premier League (ok, a one off), won an FA Cup, reached 1/4 finals of Champions League & a bad season for them was finishing 10th.

Fans can't expect to keep key players (Rice, Bowen) but also expect £100m to be spent. It doesn't work like that for a club like us who don't compete at the top end year on year. If fans want £100m spent, players will be sacrificed. We need to get better at selling key players, at the right time, but recruiting better bargains & overall scouting. By the same token, Rice can't expect us to spend £100m either. What he can expect is for shrewd loans/signings to be made by Moyes which improves the team. That will happen by the deadline but hasn't happened yet.

We get the purchases right, the rest takes care of itself. Sign good players, not for vast sums, improve them, sell them for huge profits & repeat. Then you get the £100m spend on several players. The most we will spend this window on any one player will be around £20m. Anybody who is worth more than that is not going to be signed by us permanently unless we sell. I can't see Rice going this window. I think the money required will not be spent this year but he will certainly go before he reaches the last couple of years of his contract because if he doesn't sign one, we need to maximise our sale.
  • He's not going unless we receive a ridiculous offer.

I have no doubt Chelsea want him, & he wants Chelsea. But they are not spending £70m on a DM this summer when they have Kante. He's basically 2 players in 1. It's that simple.
  • edited July 2021
    At the risk of being repetitive on Monday's West Ham Way podcast Ex said

"apparently David Sullivan’s getting frustrated with not signing anyone and he wants us to sign people, but he doesn’t want to interfere with Moyes"

So either Ex is lying which seems unlikely or Sullivan is just as anxious as some people on here.

Not me

Moyes confidimus
  • We are not helped by our woeful scouting set up, asking your mate the agent is not substitute for boots on the ground, Moyes will fix that, this we can blame on the Dave's.
  • Three bids for Rangers' Kai Kennedy and he ends up going to Dunfermline on loan.
  • I think we can blame the Daves for transfers before 29 December 2019 but since Moyes arrived our transfers have been vastly improved (so far, fingers crossed) regardless of our "woeful scouting"
  • Yea our woeful so things found us two of the signings of the season who im guessing no one in England knew

Also identified something in Dawson (& Lingard) that no one in the entire country (and pretty much all of our fanbase) could see
  • I was criticising the tools, yes we have found gems, in spite of the system not because of it. Even Moyes has said it is the worst in the PL.
  • edited July 2021
    I also hate these rumours that state 'Declan will reject any further contract offer'. What a load of rubbish. So the new contract offer says £200k a week and a release clause of £5m active immediately, and he turns that down? No player rejects a contract offer before they know what the offer is and no player decides that before the offer is made. It's complete rubbish and just done to create headlines because he's the current 'Golden Boy' of the English media.

I guarantee that if the club added another year or two onto his current deal, made him our top earner, permanent team captain and also included a fair and reasonable release clause, active as of summer 2022, that Dec would sign that contract.
  • West Ham have made a new offer of £11m to West Brom for Sam Johnstone, Football Insider can confirm.
  • Lukerz said:

West Ham have made a new offer of £11m to West Brom for Sam Johnstone, Football Insider can confirm.

It's pretty funny that we offered £10m, they said £20m, and we went elsewhere. Then they went "ok fine, £12m" and we still won't offer that.

(All allegedly, you understand)
  • Lukerz said:

I also hate these rumours that state 'Declan will reject any further contract offer'. What a load of rubbish. So the new contract offer says £200k a week and a release clause of £5m active immediately, and he turns that down? No player rejects a contract offer before they know what the offer is and no player decides that before the offer is made. It's complete rubbish and just done to create headlines because he's the current 'Golden Boy' of the English media.

I guarantee that if the club added another year or two onto his current deal, made him our top earner, permanent team captain and also included a fair and reasonable release clause, active as of summer 2022, that Dec would sign that contract.

You guarantee!
    You guarantee!
    With out him kicking a ball 2022
This discussion has been closed.