Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• I don't think we're bidding, or spending, £20m on anyone this summer. Ex's latest round-up has us trying to loan Areola from a team that wants to sell, trying to loan Pereira with an option, and if that doesn't work out we'll look at Barkley or Oxlade-Chamberlain... on loan.

Whether it's Moyes' due diligence, or Sullivan's desire to loan and not buy, I can't see any deals happening before the season starts, and those that get done in the final week of the window will be loans and frees.

I'm 100% confident that we'll end up with Maksimovic (free) ahead of Tarkowski or Celeta-Car at centre back.

In other news, Scottish media are reporting that we're signing 20-year-old 'keeper Brian Kinnear, who left Rangers earlier in the summer.

This won’t be unique to us though. The COVID situation has not helped finances & a lot of clubs will propose ‘loan now, pay later’ deals after (hopefully) a year or stability when fans return & revenues increase. If we can get a player on loan now, sign them at the end of the season, we will. We did it with Benrahma last summer. I’m sure nobody would have predicted Brentford loaning us their best player.
  • Don't see why there is any issue with a loan given Soucek, Dawson, Benrahma and Lingard were all loan moves and all 4 have been very successful and 3 have been made permanent

I'm confident there is money to spend but if the club can manage to defer most of our payments to next year through loan deal (as fans will be back plus we'd have the Europa League money in our pocket not.waiting for it) then it's a smart business decision

We cant throw £100mil at players, the only tike we did it has ruined us, we just don't have that ability and some fans need to get that

If Pereira signs on loan (with an option to buy) or signs permanently, either way they are in the door and at the club....doesnt matter to me what form it takes
  • I'm not against loans per se because, as you say, they can obviously work and often a loan with an option is the best deal; it's more the implication that we don't have any money. If WBA don't want to loan, or someone else comes in with a cash offer, we could lose out on key targets. It was rumoured to have happened with Eze last season and could scupper the Pereira deal. Moyes wants to compete with the big boys, but it makes it difficult to compete if you don't have actual money.

I'm hoping there's enough in the pot to address the key requirements at least, and time will obviously tell.
  • I'm not against loans per se because, as you say, they can obviously work and often a loan with an option is the best deal; it's more the implication that we don't have any money. If WBA don't want to loan, or someone else comes in with a cash offer, we could lose out on key targets. It was rumoured to have happened with Eze last season and could scupper the Pereira deal. Moyes wants to compete with the big boys, but it makes it difficult to compete if you don't have actual money.

I'm hoping there's enough in the pot to address the key requirements at least, and time will obviously tell.

But if there is no money there is no money, so why not try and be supportive that the club are trying to spin that and reinforce in creative ways

Moyes wants to compete with the big boys but he hasn't said anywhere we need to spend hundreds of millions

All of his comments gave referred to the team we have and installing the right attitude then yes, getting in the right players

We didn't spend much last summer but went from 15th to 6th, it starts on the trainig ground and the best managers can turn average players into a team that can beat anyone, something I feel we have done

But some are more concerned about our trasnfer window then the actual team/manager
  • I can't imagine that would be the extent of our business if hoping to approach the Europa league with any ambition and consolidate our improved Premiership form of last season. If that were the extent of our ambition I would completely understand Rice forcing a move.

I think we will do business and that whilst it isn't going to satisfy all of our needs I think it will leave us thinking we have something to look forward to, should we not go for it after last season it would leave us knowing we really do need new owners. If you own the club and are fans also, to find yourself in a Europe, with a future England Captain to build around and still not have a go would surely make you yourself question if you are the right people for the job.
  • The cynic in me thinks G&S will muddle along (avoiding relegation) until safely past 2023 when they can sell up without incurring penalty payments. I do hope not
  • edited July 2021
    Summer/January business 2016/17 - last Europa League season

S Feghouli
    T Martinez
    H Nordtveit
    A Fletcher
    A Ayew
    J Calleri
    S Zaza
    G Tore
    A Masuaku
    E Fernandes
    A Arbeloa
    J Fonte
    R Snodgrass

Summer/January business 2020/21

T Souček
    V Coufal
    C Dawson
    S Benrahma
    J Lingard

It’s about getting the right players for this club, who also have quality & the correct attitude
  • OCS, We wanted to sign Eze but couldn't as we needed to sell Diangana first to raise the funds required, well at least that is what I believe was said at the time.

WHU, I am concerned that we could do with a few players to strengthen the squad so the likes of Rice, Soucek & Antonio aren't playing every game next season with the increase in the number of matches we are committed to play unless a couple of the Under 23's suddenly come on in ability to provide the suitable cover needed.
  • We will sign the players needed to compete. I genuinely am amazed at the amount of people who don’t believe we will sign anybody between now & September. Moyes knows more than anybody we need players to build, money is there, the accounts are not that bad if you look at the last results but we won’t be splashing millions.
  • Moyes is no mug. He'll know who he wants and who is achievable, after G&S find a couple of quid down the sofa. It won't be a lot , knew faces will come in. They must be ready to step up. IMO the tinkering with Lanzini indicates he won't seek cover for Rice & Soucek. It's When, not if , Antonio gets injured. That's where we need someone.
  • If Moyes goes out and signs the first available player just to get bodies in then he won’t have money later when his main targets are more available. I’d rather wait for the right players than have some more Pablo Barrera / Gokhan Tore / Havard Nordveit type signings.
  • alderz, There is no evidence he is signing the first available player! When does anyone expect his main targets to become more available if they aren't already? As Lukerz indicated we need to sign some quality players over just a large quantity of them as Slav did the last time we were involved, however briefly, in the Europa League.
  • alderz, There is no evidence he is signing the first available player! When does anyone expect his main targets to become more available if they aren't already? As Lukerz indicated we need to sign some quality players over just a large quantity of them as Slav did the last time we were involved, however briefly, in the Europa League.

Nor is there any evidence we aren't waiting for our first choice

And players may come available, arguably quality ones, because the big teams like City, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. Haven't made move yets
  • WHU, apologies if I am being a pain but I can only think of Abraham being a target from one of those 3 other than a few cast offs from Liverpool who I wouldn’t want. We would need “big” money to get someone from the likes of them which we haven’t got? I hope we are looking at the mess Barcelona are in as there are 2 players we could get on loan to cover CH & LB, both of whom we have been linked with in the media if the reports are to be believed.
  • WHU, apologies if I am being a pain but I can only think of Abraham being a target from one of those 3 other than a few cast offs from Liverpool who I wouldn’t want. We would need “big” money to get someone from the likes of them which we haven’t got? I hope we are looking at the mess Barcelona are in as there are 2 players we could get on loan to cover CH & LB, both of whom we have been linked with in the media if the reports are to be believed.

But when have we ever been able to buy from the big clubs?

I know we want to be ambitious but if the capital isn't there it is there

We got a Europa spot by being smart and not spending beyond our means and yet loads of people are frassing out

There is no evidence that we have or haven't made bids, are or aren't interested in X, Y or Z players, have identified our first choice or missed out on them, have £100mil, £50mil or £20mil or £0 to spend

All we know is that there are 3 weeks to the start of the season, 5 weeks before the window closes, the manager has confirmed we want to add some bodies (and wants to give youth a chance) and we haven't sold our best player (Rice) or any of our starting XI
  • I think it's also worth remembering Moyes signed a new contract this summer and I feel certain he would have had conversations regard funds and ambition. I can't imagine him having done so if some of the worst scenarios on here were the real situation.
  • Better hope Antonio doesn't do his hammy in one of the first 3 games if we waiting till deadline day to bring in another striker, because that will just up the price if it happens.
  • WHU, Sorry but on that basis I can’t understand why you made reference to City, LFC & CFC if them doing business would have any bearing on any players we may be interested in unless they have a few options which they may choose to no longer pursue if they sign their first choice Kane, Haaland or Lewandowski etc. Are we expecting prices to go down once the season has started? Just saying Leicester identified their targets & got them in early. 👍
  • In terms of potential first team squad, we have moved 2 players on and a possible third, I hope they have seen enough of the developing players to move them up as we have reduced the squad size for the last couple of windows in terms of net players, first team needs to stay healthy
  • West Ham United could move for Liverpool's England international Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 27, if they are unable to sign West Brom's 25-year-old Brazilian midfielder Matheus Pereira. (Express)
  • West Ham United could move for Liverpool's England international Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 27, if they are unable to sign West Brom's 25-year-old Brazilian midfielder Matheus Pereira. (Express)

Good grief, why oh why would they want to :o

Good grief, why oh why would they want to :o
    Didn't we say the same about Lingard and Dawson......

But seriously though I agree Ox is too injury prone, think he's talented but sadly we don't need injury prone players
  • Sounds like an Agent story he is probably on too high wages and too injury prone for Moyes
  • Well, Antonio is injury prone but no one wants to sell him.
  • Twitter noise suggesting we're one of 7 PL clubs interested in Phil Jones.

Man U seemingly prepared to let him go on a free and Moyes likes him from his time at Old Trafford.
  • Twitter noise suggesting we're one of 7 PL clubs interested in Phil Jones.

Man U seemingly prepared to let him go on a free and Moyes likes him from his time at Old Trafford.

we can afford free :)
  • We can’t afford to play him though as too risky.
  • I'm going to trust Moyes's judgement, he revived Lingard's career so maybe he can do the same with Jones
  • Lingard’s best seasons weren’t so long ago. Jones has barely played at all for so long. But on a free it will probably be a trust Moyes thing again.
This discussion has been closed.