Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• I always wonder how these south American players cope with the shock of British weather come January, he must have loved it as Moscow is going to bite come Christmas.
  • I always wonder how these south American players cope with the shock of British weather come January, he must have loved it as Moscow is going to bite come Christmas.

He'll be in the warmer climes of Asuncion as: -

Under the current autumn-spring calendar, the league takes a three-month winter break from mid-December until mid-March.
  • https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/07/blogs/premier-league/west-ham/west-ham-united-ex-discusses-current-transfer-situation/

Article quotes ExWHU...interesting article

For those that don't want to open it, the jist is:

- Moyes is the reason why we havent bought anyone
    - he likes to do his due diligence and wants to ensure we get the right people
    - sullivan frustrated by lack of activity but doesn't want to interfere with Moyes

May not please those that are signing hungry but think Sullivan is doing what most of us would hope he would, keep his nose out and let Moyes, who's recent signings have been spot on, choose who he wants
  • Three Twitter ITKs reporting our interest in Pereira. Talks have begun with West Brom (according to C&H) and Ex has said he's definitely a target.

A genuine alternative, or a way of pressuring Man Utd/Lingard 🤔
  • Forget Lingard, if he wanted to come back he would have given some sort of inkling by now, he's staying at Man Utd.
  • edited July 2021
    I also suspect that Lingard will take the big salary new contract for hardly any game time.
  • There shouldn't be any hard feelings towards him. The loan worked both ways; it got Jesse playing again and back into the England squad, and he was an integral part in us reaching Europe.

I'll be happy if he comes back. And equally, I'll he happy if we get Pereira instead.
  • I’m not massively fussed about Lingard. I think I’d rather we have enough for a good striker. If there’s money left over then Perreira is a good signing, especially if cheaper.
  • I’m not massively fussed about Lingard. I think I’d rather we have enough for a good striker. If there’s money left over then Perreira is a good signing, especially if cheaper.

The number one priority is a decent striker. Would like to see Tammy here and banging them away.
  • I can't see the Lingard transfer happening. His wages would be high and that would upset the wage structure and many other players would also want a big hike.
  • I'm not convinced Pereira would be cheaper than Lingard. If you google his name and click on news, it doesn't take long to find stories that West Brom want £30m for him, that Leicester and Palace are interested and that Man Utd are linked (I doubt that one, though). If a few clubs are interested and they want £30m, you'd think they will be getting £30m.
  • SQUAD NUMBER ANNOUNCEMENTS!

Said Benhrama is now #S22B, and Michail Antonio has taken over the 9.

Does that mean he's our starting striker for the season? Are we signing someone to challenge him?
  • alderz said:

SQUAD NUMBER ANNOUNCEMENTS!

Does that mean he's our starting striker for the season? Are we signing someone to challenge him?

HYPE!

Probably means nothing, but I would have thought they might have reserved the No9 for the new striker, particularly if Abraham is the main target and wears 9 at Chelsea.

• Yeah that's what I was thinking.

On the OS Antonio says he's decided to take #9 because he now views himself as a striker, and basically he didn't think he should #9 before as he sometimes played RB
  • alderz said:

I'm not convinced Pereira would be cheaper than Lingard. If you google his name and click on news, it doesn't take long to find stories that West Brom want £30m for him, that Leicester and Palace are interested and that Man Utd are linked (I doubt that one, though). If a few clubs are interested and they want £30m, you'd think they will be getting £30m.

There's also talk that West Brom are prepared to let him go on a loan and then review the situation if they get promoted.

Everton have made a loan approach according to a new Twitter ITK.

If it's a loan, I can see us being interested. If, as you say, it's £30m, we won't be.
  • alderz said:

I'm not convinced Pereira would be cheaper than Lingard. If you google his name and click on news, it doesn't take long to find stories that West Brom want £30m for him, that Leicester and Palace are interested and that Man Utd are linked (I doubt that one, though). If a few clubs are interested and they want £30m, you'd think they will be getting £30m.

There's also talk that West Brom are prepared to let him go on a loan and then review the situation if they get promoted.

Everton have made a loan approach according to a new Twitter ITK.

If it's a loan, I can see us being interested. If, as you say, it's £30m, we won't be.
    A loan with a view to buy for £30m later is basically the Benrahma deal again, so that would (hopefully) have legs.
  • edited July 2021
    alderz said:

A loan with a view to buy for £30m later is basically the Benrahma deal again, so that would (hopefully) have legs.

I read somewhere that the idea of the loan was that he'd go back to West Brom if they come back up, rather than it being an automatic option to buy that we can exercise if we want to.
  • alderz said:

I read somewhere that the idea of the loan was that he'd go back to West Brom if they come back up, rather than it being an automatic option to buy that we can exercise if we want to.
    Yeah, but I guess that would depend quite a lot on how we do. If we have a good season with him, he'd probably want to stay, as WBA are the biggest example of a yoyo club.
  • alderz said:

I suspect trying to divine our transfer intentions through the numbers allocated to players is about as reliable as reading tea leaves or chicken entrails

Pereira is the new Dawson, take him on loan from a recently relegated club and see how he does.
  • As long as we've got a proper option to buy him, then I'm all for it, as I think he was a stand out player in a really poor team last season, and it obviously means there's more cash available to spend on other positions this window which is particularly important as we've such a small squad.

However, I'd prefer to take Pereira as an outright purchase rather than no fixed option to buy, as otherwise we end up where we are with Lingard this season; it's all well and good having players on loan, but without an option to buy you're basically a player down the following season so you need to source and buy a player just to stay at the same level.

The added issue with this is that, like this season, given that the PL has reverted to a transfer window that closes after the start of the season, and given that we're always having to get fantastic (in the eyes of DS) value from any purchases, we inevitably end up starting the season and playing games before new players arrive and are bedded in as the purchases are completed right at the end of the window.
  • alderz said:

Tbf Antonio deserves the #9 Jersey, surprised he wasn't given it earlier

Has 10 goals in both of the last 2 seasons while playing average about 23 games, really good record plus he offers us so much other than just his goals, he's a one man front line

We say it so often....but if he wasn't so injury prone we'd be looking at 15 or even 20 goals a season and clubs would be after him

But hey football isn't always that kind...especially not to Hammers
  • However, I'd prefer to take Pereira as an outright purchase rather than no fixed option to buy, as otherwise we end up where we are with Lingard this season.

Or we take Pereira on loan and sign Lingard on a free next summer #cunningplan
  • alderz said:

Apparently Benrahma really wanted the 22 shirt, it is the number his dad used to play in.

• alderz said:

Yeah he probably wouldn’t or not by much. A loan deal with view to buy could be good. £30m is the same as what Athletic reported the Lingard price is right now. For the two, I’d probably take Perreira. Younger and played well through more of last season. I think he has more flexibility to b me effective in different situations. Lingard is a bit one dimensional but very good if you can get that one side out of him.
  • Yea I can't see Pereira being 'cheaper than Jesse, unless you see Jesse is rumoured to be worth £30mil

Pereira was a star for WBA in the championship 19/20, easily as good as Benrahma, Beundia, Watkins, Eze, Bowen etc. and has backed it up in the Prem, arguably moreso than Benrahma/Bowen/Buendia.....I think £25mil/30mil is fair value given the values of those above which is just the going rate for attackers who excel at that level

Plus at 25 he has the upside of his value potentially increasing

Id be all for it, think he'd be a brilliant addition, but think with Benrahma (who didn't play much last year), Bowen, Fornals and arguably Lanzini competing for the 2/3 Attacking mid positions (as we could always go 343 or 4231 next year) I don't think it's worth the funds it would cost compared to a CF or CB

Wouldn't mind the winger to be a bit cheaper, around the £10mil to £15mil range

• Id be all for it, think he'd be a brilliant addition, but think with Benrahma (who didn't play much last year), Bowen, Fornals and arguably Lanzini competing for the 2/3 Attacking mid positions (as we could always go 343 or 4231 next year) I don't think it's worth the funds it would cost compared to a CF or CB

Wouldn't mind the winger to be a bit cheaper, around the £10mil to £15mil range

Yeah this is my view on Lingard as well. Did great for us for a run of games and I think the timing was crucial as we were hitting a bad injury period and fatigued. But I think we need to sort out other positions first.
  • Lots of talk that Brom owe us for Diangana, so maybe a cut-price Pereira/Johnstone double deal could be on the cards? Wouldn't say no to that.
  • Would anyone take Diangana back? He wasn’t far behind Perreira in their champ season and if we wanted competition rather than a standout winger then maybe he could be the cheaper winger cover. Of course bigger gamble as he had a quiet season (victim of circumstances imo) and he may well not want to come back.
  • If we can have the same deal we did with Lazio for Anderson, which I make he comes back to us for about 2m !

Joking aside I think if we take someone on in that position they have to be able to push Benrhama and Bowen and be on par with Lingard and I think Dianghana is a bit below that at this stage.
  • edited July 2021
    If we do sign Johnstone or get Areola on loan who reckons Randolph will ask for a transfer as he'll have absolutely no hope of first team football? (Joe Hart Part 2)

At the moment Ireland are playing a 19yo in goal who plays in League 1 for Portsmouth and was dropped to the bench at the end of March. Other than that its Bournemouth's 22yo back up keeper or the 22yo who played a few games for Liverpool last season when Adrian and Alisson were injured

Randolph was Ireland's No.1 until he got injured so he must fancy his chances for a call up but he's going to want at least cup games between the sticks if he's going to stay with us

This discussion has been closed.