Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Athletic reported this on Friday btw:

West Ham transfers: Moyes closing in on Areola but Lingard unlikely at £30m valuation

They are renowned for being slow out the blocks in the transfer window but, with pre-season now underway, West Ham United are in full stride and look set to win the race to sign Alphonse Areola.

The club will attempt to finalise an agreement with Paris Saint-Germain to bring the goalkeeper in on a season-long loan with an option to buy. West Ham have turned their attention to Areola having seen their bid for Sam Johnstone rejected by West Bromwich Albion. It is believed the Championship side are seeking a fee well in excess of £10 million for the 28-year-old.
  • Rather they spent the Lingard budget on young Tammy
  • If Benrahma is 22B who is 22A
  • If Benrahma is 22B who is 22A

Alves.
  • Reports we are in talks to sign Abraham loan with option to buy
  • Reports we are in talks to sign Abraham loan with option to buy

Would be surprised if Chelsea accepted it but would be a great deal

Still not sure about Tammy, his record looks incredible but a fee Chelsea fans I know aren't convinced, but easy to forget he's only 23
  • I really like Tammy. I think he’s quality, tbh.
  • edited July 2021
    I can completely understand Jesse wanting to stay at United. No hard feelings. Time to move on. The loan worked for both parties; he helped us get into Europe & he found his love for football again. I don’t see him making too much of an impact at United this season beyond rotational roles & substitute appearances, but he has the right to make that call. Wish him luck & let’s start looking at alternatives. A part of me feels we may still see him back here in September but we can’t afford to gamble our summer business on him.
  • The cynical side of me is wondering whether the board has released the story as a distraction/delay mechanism. 'We can't commit to transfers with this hanging over the club' 🤔
  • Ex has confirmed this is true
  • Confirmed interest, but no formal bid.

So potentially it could be dragged out for a while and my fear is it will impact Sullivan's desire to spend while there's this level of uncertainty around.
  • Although he's backtracking slightly now and saying that he doesn't think anything has happened since the initial approach in February. Looks like the Mail is just recycling old news.

As you were.
  • Never usually a good sign when one side makes the discussions public, it's usually an attempt to pressure the other side, were it the investors they may hope that the board come under pressure from fans, but it's more likely Sully making it public to see if any other potential buyers come forward.

The greatest service Sully can do to the club is to sell to the right people, I think a lot of Birmingham fans felt they just took the money at Birmingham and that the buyers were not safe custodians.
  • Reading the article, seems like it was leaked from
    the buyers side, as a name has been leaked & it states the bidders were disappointed the bid had been rejected.
  • Although he's backtracking slightly now and saying that he doesn't think anything has happened since the initial approach in February. Looks like the Mail is just recycling old news.

As you were.

Yea...because its the mail

Still shocks me how anybody even bothers with that trash (as well as Daily Mirror, Express and the Sun)
  • edited July 2021
    To be fair, a speculation thread would be pretty quiet without these kinds of publications and their digital counterparts.
  • I'd rather the thread was quieter with real news rather than seeing people get wound up over non-stories
  • Who's getting wound up? It's a discussion point.
  • edited July 2021
    Well, Champo is shocked 😂
  • edited July 2021
    Yep, Sulli will be out there, "Oh as much as we would have loved to, but we couldn't make any purchases due to the uncertainty of the situation", whilst gasping a sigh of relief that his wallet remains unscathed for another transfer window
  • He could of course fund the type of purchases we need to prove he doesn’t need to sell to a group who claim they can provide the large sums needed to make us more competitive?
  • On football manager whenever there is a proposed takeover the board put you under a transfer embargo until the “uncertainty” is lifted. I’ve had seasons ruined by failed takeovers!
  • alderz said:

On football manager whenever there is a proposed takeover the board put you under a transfer embargo until the “uncertainty” is lifted. I’ve had seasons ruined by failed takeovers!

It's always during the transfer windows as well.....

Absolute nightmare!! And it's only for it to fall through
  • Yep, Sulli will be out there, "Oh as much as we would have loved to, but we couldn't make any purchases due to the uncertainty of the situation", whilst gasping a sigh of relief that his wallet remains unscathed for another transfer window

And yet Ex says
    apparently David Sullivan’s getting frustrated with not signing anyone and he wants us to sign people, but he doesn’t want to interfere with Moyes.
    https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/07/blogs/premier-league/west-ham/west-ham-united-ex-discusses-current-transfer-situation/

• alderz said:

On football manager whenever there is a proposed takeover the board put you under a transfer embargo until the “uncertainty” is lifted. I’ve had seasons ruined by failed takeovers!

The scum won't sell before 2023 as they want to keep every penny that they can squeeze out of the club
  • Excuse my ignorance but isn’t there some kind of clause that says Gold & Sullivan can’t sell up for so many years? Or if they do they face financial penalties?
  • alderz said:

The scum won't sell before 2023 as they want to keep every penny that they can squeeze out of the club
    Talking out Footy Manager bud

• alderz said:

Talking out Footy Manager bud
    I'm not =)
This discussion has been closed.