Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• I see Alisha Lehmann one of the WHUW’s best players has left the club to join Aston Villa women’s team. There still appears to be problems with our ladies team as they only just escaped relegation last season & the players who have left so far have only weakened the squad further. Money looks to be an issue? No further comment from me on comparisons with the men’s side. 😬
  • I am not surprised Daka chose Leicester they have Champions League football won the FA Cup last year . As always I will judge our transfer activity at the end of the window. I remember when they beat us to Ihenacheo from Man City and he has n't set the world alight so far done OK in spells but he was over 20 mio from memory. I hope we do business aswell as Leicester as generally they get a lot more right than wrong and sell for large profits . I think our last few windows have been more in line with that model than before Soucek and Coufal must be worth alot more than we paid for them.
  • PLF, they are in the Europa League with us. 👍
  • Sorry should have been they have had Champions League football not have this year
  • Being reported that man Utd have agreed a fee for Sancho, Lingard must surely be looking less likely to have a place!
  • Depends who they ship out I suppose. As it stands, you'd imagine he'll be behind Sancho, Fernandes, Rashford and Greenwood, and possibly on a par with Martial, van de Beek and James.

That's a lot of competition for someone that's made it clear they want to play. I could maybe see a couple of those sold or loaned out, but even so, there's a lot of talent for Lingard to get through.
  • I would love Martial at West Ham, he has never fulfilled himself at Man Utd in my view, he has a lot of talent.
  • With a deal for Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho having been agreed, West Ham midfielder Declan Rice, 22, Villarreal's 24-year-old defender Pau Torres and Tottenham striker Harry Kane, 27, top Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's wishlist. (Guardian)
  • edited July 2021
    Matt Law (Telegraph) and Jacob Steinberg (Guardian) reporting that Declan Rice has turned down two contract offers and has told West Ham he wants to be informed of any bids, as he waits for Manchester United and Chelsea to make official offers.

And so it begins...

(although, he's contracted for another four years)
  • edited July 2021
    I do feel Rice will be hard to keep hold of if England do go on to achieve success at this tournament. Basically a holiday camp with a load of fellow pros, his age, who play for massive clubs competing for trophies. Easy to get swept up in that and any success England experience. It's important we try and get as much as we can for him and I hope he doesn't leave on a sour note by pushing for a move.

Moyes will know more than anybody that it's a case of when, not if, for Declan moving on. He has experience of selling young, English players for good money and continuing to build a successful side.
  • I doubt he leaves this year imo. Had we not got europe I reckon he would have gone this summer.
  • Possibly, I just hope he doesn't push for us to accept a cheap offer. Surely he knows the club needs to gain from his sale and that he would be understanding of that, not lose £20m/£30m just so he can go.

Although he did dump the ROI very quickly once England came calling...
  • Matt Law is quoted as saying he knows something about the situation which will be written about shortly, it’s West Ham’s problem that they want £100 million for Rice and CFC aren’t going to pay that so he may need to ask for a transfer?
  • edited July 2021

Matt Law is quoted as saying he knows something about the situation which will be written about shortly, it’s West Ham’s problem that they want £100 million for Rice and CFC aren’t going to pay that so he may need to ask for a transfer?

No DM is worth £100m. They just don't do enough to warrant that price. Ronaldo went for £90m, Sancho has gone for £77m. They're both attacking players.

Rice will end up moving on for around £60m, with maybe some longer term bonuses. Nobody is going to pay £100m for him and he's only worth what people want to pay.

We also need to get comfortable with the idea of selling him. We don't have much money, have just come out of COVID. Player sales are going to fund most of our future purchases.
  • edited July 2021
    Man U paid 80m for Maguire. If we say Rice is 100m to us he is.
  • edited July 2021
    Lukerz said:

We also need to get comfortable with the idea of selling him. We don't have much money, have just come out of COVID. Player sales are going to fund most of our future purchases.

Pretty much every other club in the world is in the same situation unless the owner is a billionaire
    Lukerz said:

Although he did dump the ROI very quickly once England came calling...

Martin O'Neill confirmed that England had approached Rice in August 2018 although Southgate mentioned the possibility of Rice playing for England seven months earlier. Rice decided to play for England in February 2019.

Very quickly?
  • Apologies for raising the old chestnut but other clubs don’t appear to have been affected by the Covid issues based, yes I know it’s from media sources, on the bids they are making for players.
  • Telegraph said:

And the offers are also believed to have been less than what some of the previous highest paid players at West Ham have earned, although money is not thought to be the main reason for Rice rejecting the club’s offers.

Despite the fact West Ham enjoyed an excellent season and qualified for the Europa League, with Rice often wearing the captain’s armband, there are concerns over how much money manager David Moyes will have to improve the squad.

I think this is an important point. We've come off the back of our most successful season in recent years, and it seems likely that we aren't going to have much money to spend this summer. Lingard has left, and all reports are suggesting we can't afford much in the way of recruitments. If you were in Rice's shoes, you'd probably be thinking that we aren't going to repeat last seasons success.

That said, seeing him after the Czech game doing the crossed arms with Soucek and Coufal doesn't make me think this is a guy who's desperate to leave.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/07/01/exclusive-declan-rice-turns-two-west-ham-contract-offers/
  • Leicester doing some bidness…. 😎
    And their new home shirt is rather tasty.. imo of course 🕵️‍♂️
  • We've signed three U23 players and three more have signed their first pro-contracts.

The cynic in me is beginning to wonder whether we're going to see minimal first-team signings and use the U23s for the three cup competitions.
  • The Guardian reports he has not been given any assurances over the clubs transfer budget next season.

Personally, it seems like a bit of a non-story. There may or may not be firm interest in Rice which may or may not develop into an official offer which may or may not be accepted.

In the meantime, Rice won't commit to the club, where he already has 3/4 years remaining and is happy, whilst he waits to see if there is any interest and what that interest looks like, all the while West Ham are not willing to sell for anything other than big money.

He will know his stock is rising. There is absolutely no need to sign a new deal and, if he does, it will be once the window shuts.
  • I think any offer should be for the same length of time as his existing contract, but on more money. That way he will feel valued, but isn't committing his whole career to a club that could realistically fall into mid table mediocrity (or worse) quite quickly. We can't expect him to sign a new 5/6 year deal, it's just not realistic
  • One year extension, increased wages, release clause of £75m.
  • Rice is on less than Yarmolenko as it stands.
  • edited July 2021
    How is Yarmo our top earner (apparently). Ludicrous.
  • Ex also adds these contract offers are not recent so potentially they could have been rejected a while ago.
  • Not just his ability, but his standing at the club. He's our captain and the face of the club across the world, almost. Not that I believe any footballer is worth £100k p/w, but if anyone at West Ham is, it's Rice. And if the board can't see this then not offering Rice at least parity with our top earners can only be seen as them trying to encourage a bid, IMO.
  • He's currently on £30k isn't he? A good rise and a 4-5 year deal may keep him happy and keeps his transfer value high. He'll be gone next summer whatever unless we make CL and even then he can't be more than six feet away from Mount at any time so he'll be gone.
  • If Yarmo is our top earner then it just highlights again what a mess the Pelle regime left us in.

It's obvious our owners aren't the wealthiest, but we are still paying for bad mistakes like Yarmo, Anderson and Haller.

The owners get a lot of criticism - some of it fair, and I'm not their biggest fan - but they did back Pelle heavily and it continues to bite us now.
This discussion has been closed.