Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• edited July 2021
    Hammers.News running this story:

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/west-ham-at-risk-of-insolvency-according-to-andrea-agnelli/

""Two topics that I would like to introduce before leaving room for questions. The Board has estimated the effects of the pandemic over the three-year period at €320m, based on this the guidelines for the capital increase up to €400, have been defined. They estimate the need for liquidity within the system to be €8.5 billion. It is estimated that 30-40% will be managed by capital increases, 15-20% are at risk of insolvency. I am thinking of Barcelona, ​​Inter, West Ham, Porto.”

It’s not often that we get mentioned alongside Barcelona, Inter Milan and Juventus is it now!

And in typical West Ham style, it’s all for the wrong reasons.

But is there any truth in what Agnelli said?

Are West Ham at risk of insolvency?

Well, we all know that the Hammers have plenty of debts.

By sheer definition, however, insolvency means the inability to pay ones debt. And to suggest that West Ham will not be able to do that is simply not true. We have plenty of sellable assets for a start. So if there was really danger of insolvency, David Sullivan and David Gold would surely cash in on those assets.

And that is why we are all so worried about Declan Rice. The owners wouldn’t think twice about selling the 22-year-old if a big bid comes in."
  • So how many people would not renew if Rice were to leave when everyone knows he will in the not too distant future?
  • edited July 2021
    I must admit, without Covid I thought we'd lose Rice this summer, but I've kinda been hoping that he would realise we're unlikely to get as much for him this summer as we should next year after a season with fans back in the grounds throughout the league (the finances of most clubs will hopefully be a bit healthier then), and would show some loyalty to the club and realise how important getting a good price for him will be for the club that rescued him after his rejection by Chelsea. After such a good season I really hope we keep him for our European campaign, and also because it should help our recruitment of a better class of player this summer.

• They could argue that the 'bad' news of Rice not wanting to sign a new contract wasn't made public at a time when they wanted maximum positivity to get as much money from season ticket renewals as they possibly could.

They could also argue that the news was made public to possibly villainize Rice and his agent to soften the criticism they'd get for selling him.

Personally, I don't think anyone arguing these things would convince me.

The reason being, while it might be in the club's interest (in the scenario you hypothesize) that the news comes out at a specific time, I don't believe that they are able to control matters to that extent.
  • While in the past I think there are plenty of incidents of the club or ownership leaking info, I really don’t see why they would’ve done that here. If they could keep it quiet before then why wouldn’t they continue to? Ex said he didn’t report it before because he didn’t want the backlash he gets on social media and that anyway they’re ongoing negotiations so can change.

It seems more likely it’s Declan’s side trying to ramp up pressure on the club, either for a move or for them to make a better offer, at a time when a lot of people will be watching him.
  • Ex said he didn’t report it before because he didn’t want the backlash he gets on social media

I know not everyone believes everything he says... but many do... and so....

if one believes this, then it's clear that the information was 'out there' rather than being suppressed by some kind of Sullivan-enforced omerta.
  • I think it just indicates that people who knew about it were people who talk to him. And I do get the impression he has genuine sources in the club. So I’m not sure that’s “out there” in the sense that there will always be people who know some things. But it does depend on who it was that told him.
  • SSN reporting Coufal via his representatives is not happy with the terms of the new contract he is being offered.
  • I think it just indicates that people who knew about it were people who talk to him. And I do get the impression he has genuine sources in the club. So I’m not sure that’s “out there” in the sense that there will always be people who know some things. But it does depend on who it was that told him.

:+1:

I was mostly addressing the suggestion that the club somehow managed to keep it a secret until after the season tickets were renewed. Obviously, they didn't.
  • SSN reporting Coufal via his representatives is not happy with the terms of the new contract he is being offered.

I couldn't find anything when I googled - could you post a link, please?

Doesn't mean he's leaving tho...everyone already melting down on twitter

He has 4 years left on his deal so again the club isn't under any pressure

By and large the club have been very good with renewals, can't remember any of our 'stars' get down to the last 12 months
  • everyone already melting down on twitter

lol

It must be exhausting.
  • Maybe we should just stop trying to do immediate contract renewals for players who have multiple years left on their contracts.

Coufal's had a good season but it seems like an unsustainable business practice to me. He accepted the wage offered to him for the years in the contract, so we should just calm down.

Anybody else who has a good season will see this as an opportunity to agitate for new contracts after a year.
  • I do agree with that. Coufal, for me, does not warrant a new deal, nor does Souček. Another season of top performances & consistency & we can talk about rewarding them. It's not a great benchmark to be rewarding players based on one season. Even Rice, as good as he has been, was performing well in a side that finished in the bottom five before last season. We had a fantastic season last year, we now have European football to look forward to & the difficulties that brings. Let's see how good Coufal is next year. I can only assume the club are trying to increase their wages but can't offer much of an increase due to the COVID situation.
  • We will also need a new CM this summer. If England make the semi-final or final, Rice is unlikely to play in the first month of the season.
  • So just got on 50 new posts ,Just had to have signed someone But no silly me what was i thinking =)
  • steve said:

So just got on 50 new posts ,Just had to have signed someone But no silly me what was i thinking =)

We take the speculation part of the title very seriously. The more new posts you see in here, the more ridiculous we've probably gone. 50 means we're at least still talking football 🤣

Unless there's a "welcome" thread we haven't signed anyone.
  • steve said:

So just got on 50 new posts ,Just had to have signed someone But no silly me what was i thinking =)

...and no puns. Just be thankful for that. 😂
  • MrsGrey said:

SSN reporting Coufal via his representatives is not happy with the terms of the new contract he is being offered.

https://www.westhamzone.com/news/west-ham-in-contract-talks-with-vladimir-coufal-agents-disappointed-with-offer/

• I just read the line" Coufal's agent disappointed with offer" I bet he is, less money for him maybe he has just ordered a new boat lol
  • I can't even imagine why we would be having new contract negotiations with Coufal if he has 4 years left? If that's true surely we are a year or two away from that decision. If he happens to be really underpaid we could always offer an increase recognising his contribution with possibly an optional extension of another year, just to keep him feeling valued and happy. It's not like his agent has any leverage.
  • Please no mention of those things that swim in water.
  • IronHerb said:

steve said:

I was trying to say this without saying this.
  • IronHerb said:

steve said:

I won't take the bait 😂
  • Stop it!
  • I don't have good feelings about this transfer window. Yes, we need to keep Rice but that would also suggest higher wages for Coufal, Soucek and some others. May be the Rice thing has added uncertainty about who/what to recruit. I can't help wondering why Leicester and Villa are able to spend more freely. May be we are paying the price of Pelligrini's failures; recruited players (Haller. Ajeti, Anderson, Yarmolenko) with higher fees and wages who are not up to the job and there is little left in the coffers. May be the sale of Rice would release resources to bring in three decent players. Anyway, these are just the ramblings of a supporter who now expects higher things and wants the Board to deliver them.
  • edited July 2021
    Pengeman, I echo your last sentence 100%. There is a report we are getting the remaining Haller money from a bank to be used to smooth the cash flow to pay wages I believe it’s £14.5 million?
  • edited July 2021

MrsGrey said:

SSN reporting Coufal via his representatives is not happy with the terms of the new contract he is being offered.

https://www.westhamzone.com/news/west-ham-in-contract-talks-with-vladimir-coufal-agents-disappointed-with-offer/

Cheers.
    So, he's got a long contract to go, but the club appreciate his work this season and want to give him a pay rise, which they don't have to do because he signed a contract with a certain level of wages and bonuses but the club want to go beyond that....

And this is being viewed negatively.

I see.
  • What was C&H’s report?
This discussion has been closed.