Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Anderson to Lazio rumours are still rumbling on with Nico Schira saying talks are at an advanced stage. He has a year left on his contract and if he stays will cost us £3.5m in wages and add-ons.

Other accounts suggesting that we could be letting him go on a free.
  • I am in two minds regarding Yarmalenko. A part of me hopes we could get a 8-10m offer and should snap their hand off but a part of me think he will be perfect for the extra games we will have this year and could play a part in certain early Europa games and early domestic cup matches.
  • Realistically, I think if we sign Lingard then Yarmolenko has to go. We don't really have many players we can sell and I think Lanzini is the one we need to keep. Maybe partially sentimental but also I think he can play more roles after his CM performances at the end.

It would be nice for Yarmolenko to perform for us, as he seems likeable, but we need money from somewhere and we got by fine without him last season. We really need to fund a striker, some CM cover and a left back.
  • How much tv money do we get for finishing 6th? How much is Europa league worth? We have money coming in.
  • Realistically, I think if we sign Lingard then Yarmolenko has to go. We don't really have many players we can sell and I think Lanzini is the one we need to keep. Maybe partially sentimental but also I think he can play more roles after his CM performances at the end.

It would be nice for Yarmolenko to perform for us, as he seems likeable, but we need money from somewhere and we got by fine without him last season. We really need to fund a striker, some CM cover and a left back.

I agree; I think the money would benefit us more than anything Yarmolenko will do for us. I take C&BSky's point about the early cup games, but I don't think his wages justify half-a-dozen games; I'd like to think that one of Nevers or Oko-Flex could fill that role (pre-season should give us a clue of their level).

Moyes likes Lanzini so I think he'll stay, but he clearly doesn't fancy Anderson or Yarmolenko so I suspect both will go and their replacements will come from the U23s.
  • edited July 2021

How much tv money do we get for finishing 6th? How much is Europa league worth? We have money coming in.

6th place got us a reported £28m in prize money and, accordong to Wiki, the EL is worth an initial £3.1m, with additional payments as shown below:

"For the 2021–22 season, group stage participation in the Europa League awarded a base fee of €3,630,000. A victory in the group pays €630,000 and a draw €210,000. Also, each group winner earns €1,100,000 and each runner-up €550,000. Reaching the knock-out stage triggers additional bonuses: €500,000 for the round of 32, €1,200,000 for the round of 16, €1,800,000 for the quarter-finals and €2,800,000 for the semi-finals. The losing finalists receive €4,600,000 and the champions receive €8,600,000"

The question really is how much of this is already spent?
  • The 6th place money isn't all 'new money' of course.
  • Danny Ings rejects new deal at Southampton, wanting to test himself at a higher level.

How does Europa League sound, Danny?
  • Lukerz said:

Danny Ings rejects new deal at Southampton, wanting to test himself at a higher level.

How does Europa League sound, Danny?

Instinctively I'd say no, simply because of his injury history, but looking at it, he's actually played a good percentage of games since he's been at Southampton.

That said, I think Southampton will want more than we can afford, so I think it's a non-starter.
  • He's out of contract next summer. I reckon he'd be gettable for £15m. Between him & Antonio, they can cover each other when injured.
  • edited July 2021
    So, as it stands, first team squad looks like:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Rice - Souček
    Bowen - Benrahma - Fornals
    Antonio

Randolph, Diop, Fredericks, Masuaku, Noble, Lanzini, Yarmolenko

Think it's clear to see we don't need loads of players, nor loads of cash splashing. A CB, CM & ST & we'll probably be decent, as long as they are decent quality. Next summer we can then target a GK & LB.
  • Lukerz said:

He's out of contract next summer. I reckon he'd be gettable for £15m. Between him & Antonio, they can cover each other when injured.

But knowing our luck they’d somehow get injured at the same time…
    Think Ings would be valued more than £20 million IMO
  • Saints offered him a four-year deal, so I suspect that's what he's looking for, and I would imagine he'll want top dollar for his last big contract. I'd just worry that we'd get the Liverpool Ings in terms of injuries and be stuck with him for four years at £75k p/w.

I suspect we'd be able to get Armstrong for £15-20m and I think he'd be the better long-term option of the two.
  • I think Moyes will pass on Ings, but I think if it's Ings v Armstrong, it's a no-brainer. Not sure we should be going near Armstrong.
  • Lukerz said:

I think Moyes will pass on Ings, but I think if it's Ings v Armstrong, it's a no-brainer. Not sure we should be going near Armstrong.

Rumours seem to be that Southampton will go for him as Ings' replacement so he may not be an option anyway.
  • edited July 2021
    I haven't seen much of Armstrong but what I have seen, he's very different to Antonio & Arnie (Moyes' preferred forwards as our manager).
  • edited July 2021
    OCS, The question really is how much of this is already spent?

None so it would appear.

Lukerz, Think it's clear to see we don't need loads of players, nor loads of cash splashing

That will be music to the ears of GSB.
  • Just noticed that Armstrong is 5' 7" and about 10 stone so he's not going to be an Antonio-type centre forward

Ings has had three seasons at Saints, they've failed to finish in the top half and they've hardly splashed the cash. He was one goal away from being Premier League top scorer in 2019/20, he'll be 29 this month, has played a total of 132 minutes in European competition and has 3 caps for England.

I suspect the reason he wants to leave is not entirely financial
  • No to Ings, literally would be on par with signing Carroll and Wilshire ? learn lessons folks. There were plenty of games Che Adams had to come in for Ings last season. We already have this problem with Antonio without compounding the problem further trying to sign another injury prone player.
  • OCS, The question really is how much of this is already spent?

None so it would appear.

What I mean is how much is committed to existing debt. Will it be used to clear bank loans, pay off installments due to other clubs, pay interest accrued by the owners loans?

It may look like £30m+ that we can strengthen the squad with, but it may also be that Moyes sees very little of it.
  • Great player but he will definitely end up injured at the same time as Antonio. He had three injuries last season, according to Transfermarkt.
  • John Lundstram has joined Glasgow Rangers on a free transfer, another one off the list?
  • John Lundstram has joined Glasgow Rangers on a free transfer, another one off the list?

A year ago he'd have been a decent signing, but not after the last year.
  • Signing a CM might prove to be difficult. Yes, there's rotation and more games next season, but any player will know that Rice and Soucek are nailed on starters and Moyes rarely plays with three in the middle.

We definitely need one, but for someone of Lundstram's age (and ability), we wouldn't be a good move.
  • Signing a CM might prove to be difficult. Yes, there's rotation and more games next season, but any player will know that Rice and Soucek are nailed on starters and Moyes rarely plays with three in the middle.

We definitely need one, but for someone of Lundstram's age (and ability), we wouldn't be a good move.

This 100%
    Soucek and Rice are too good, who wants to come to a team to be a benchwarmer?
    Hopefully more time for Conor Coventry
  • Agree with the comments about Rice & Soucek being the first choice pair in centre midfield but I wouldn't expect them to be asked to play in every game, with the larger number of games next season, and neither would I want them to due to the increased possibility of injury. Rice got injured and we suffered result wise so we do need a capable CDM to cover for an injuries to either of them (god forbid) and to allow DM to give them a rest once in a while. Is Mark Noble the solution?
  • I think we also need another CM to come and compliment them as a sub in some games, for example when we’re trying to close a game out. We’re currently forced to play with a 2 in midfield but it can be a 3 in some situations.

This 100%
    Soucek and Rice are too good, who wants to come to a team to be a benchwarmer?
    Hopefully more time for Conor Coventry
    It's Moyes'/the new Head of Recruitment's job to sell the challenge of getting ahead of those two. I've no doubt Coventry will get a chance in pre-season, but none of us know whether he's good enough to play in the PL or EL.

We need a third option; just not sure whether we can get what we need. Maybe Coventry and/or Ekwah can offer it, but it would be a big risk, IMO, given their lack of first team experience.
  • edited July 2021
    OCS, The sooner the Head of Recruitment arrives the better. Rumour has it he is on gardening leave after leaving Burnley!

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/man-responsible-sergio-aguero-move-a-leading-contender-for-west-ham-head-of-recruitment-role-according-to-ex/
  • edited July 2021
    Surely, Ainsley Maitland-Niles is a player we should be interested in? It is just so obvious:

Young (23)
    London-based already
    Wants to be a CM - but can play RB/LB/RWB/LWB
    Experience of European football
    Arsenal willing to sell - maybe a loan is possible, if not a sale

That is the sort of player we should be bidding for & I would be delighted with him. Not sure we're interested, though.
This discussion has been closed.