Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• Jorderz, Yes that is why I have been hunting around for some loose cash! =)
  • We could start a carboot sale
  • edited July 2021
    Lukerz said:

One things for sure, he'd going to get a shock comparing a request for funds from the City owners v Gold & Sullivan. Not sure whether him signing is a good thing. He's been use to identifying 100 million pound players for the last 12 years!

To be fair, relative to their competition, they haven't recruited the really expensive players. Their record free is around £70m for De Bruyne. A lot of players they've signed haven't necessarily been established superstars but rising talents who have often fit in quite well at City. Fernandinho, Emerson, Sane, Bernardo, Ferran Torres - really good buys who were nowhere near £100m.

We also might need to splash £30-40m on a striker at some point. It would be good if we got one who fit in unlike all our other record signings. Knowing how to spend big money is also a useful trait.
  • They've also been good at recruiting cheaper players who maybe weren't good enough for them but would be plenty good enough for us.

I'm thinking the likes of Jack Harrison (in for £3m, out for £11m), Angelino, (in for £10m, out for £16m), Douglas Luiz (in for £10m, out for £16m), Zack Steffen (in for £6m) and Eric Garcia (pinched from Barca and then pinched back by Barca).
  • edited July 2021
    That reminds me of how weird it was to see Eric Garcia without the protective headgear and realising he had hair.
  • I always wondered what Rob Newman did after David Baddiel left him for Frank Skinner
  • Has this guy been let go? it's difficult to see the attraction of joining us if not.
  • Ex reporting that Anderson to Lazio is now agreed. Lazio have apparently also released a statement to that effect.
  • €3m and 50% of any future sale, it seems.

That's quite some depreciation in three years for a player supposedly in his peak years.
  • OCS, It’s the West Ham Way. 😬
  • I guess there might be an instalment not paid yet that means the value is a little higher than that. Maybe some missed clauses. But yeah, another really bad deal.
  • Not sure of the exact figures, but it would seem that we've lost in the region of £45m on our last two marquee signings.

Little wonder the cupboard appears bare.
  • Had to be done .gets his wages off the books Sad when you think he could have been a legand for us ,Still wish him well
  • Not sure of the exact figures, but it would seem that we've lost in the region of £45m on our last two marquee signings.

Little wonder the cupboard appears bare.

That's the reality of the situation....We've been burnt twice really bad (and burnt pretty bad a lot) and we've had to pay the price

And ironically, both of these two were signed in the middle of July, pretty early all things considered especially as so many fans are going nuts online because we haven't signed anyone yet
  • The timings of the deals are irrelevant. Presumably they'd been scouted for a while (months, maybe years) so whether they signed in July or late August shouldn't make any difference.
  • The timings of the deals are irrelevant. Presumably they'd been scouted for a while (months, maybe years) so whether they signed in July or late August shouldn't make any difference.

That's exactly the point, the timing is irrelevant

But the majority of fans that are upset are upset for that exact reason, because we haven't bought anyone yet and there appears to be some golden rule that getting your deals done early is the ONLY way to do it right
  • I think people are frustrated because we've needed a striker since January, so have had six months prior to the window opening to identify, scout, and negotiate and agree a deal for someone in line with Moyes’s wishes of getting players in early, but don't seem to be any closer to replacing Haller.

Granted, it's rarely as simple as that, but I think people see Leicester's business (they wanted a player to replace Vardy and have got it done; they wanted another midfield option and got it done)ing, and are frustrated that we don't appear to be doing that.

Hopefully there's a lot of work going on behind the scenes and things are being lined up, but I can understand why people are getting impatient.
  • Ben White to Arsenal, £50m

And Chelsea think they are getting Dec for £60m
  • If that deal were happening I think Abraham would be included at that price if happening this summer. 60m is laughable with three years to go.
  • "Lazio will pay €3m (£2.6m) and West Ham will have a 50 per cent sell-on clause; Felipe Anderson moved to West Ham for a club-record £36m deal in 2018".
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12351480/felipe-anderson-west-ham-in-advanced-talks-to-sell-midfielder-to-lazio

So how many millions have we lost on players bought by Pelligrini? He was indulged and in comparison Moyes has been starved. Most of Pelligrini's buys have delivered little on the playing field.
  • I think at this time when a lot of flak gets thrown in our owners direction, some very warranted and some not in my view, perhaps their biggest mistake has been to back a manager TOO much. They appeared to have been a little starstruck by Pelle's title winning feats and offered him all they could. He spent it badly, didn't deliver anything. To think the real criticism would be that they were overly ambitious. He certainly did waste some money. Luckily Moyes has made the most of e very penny to date.
  • I think Pellegrini and Sullivan fed into each other to produce a really bad period in terms of how we were managed. I don’t think as much is Pellegrini fault as sometimes is made out, he was just the worst example of existing trends. I’m pretty sure I remember us beinf linked to Felipe Anderson at least one transfer window before Pellegrini joined.
  • We seem to be forgetting that Felipe Anderson was actual very effective in his first year, so appeared to be a very good buy. Clearly it has gone very wrong for him, but I don't recall him being viewed as a waste of money until mid-way through his second year at the club - which implies mis-man-management as well as lack of effort on his behalf.
  • Dodger58 said:

We seem to be forgetting that Felipe Anderson was actual very effective in his first year, so appeared to be a very good buy. Clearly it has gone very wrong for him, but I don't recall him being viewed as a waste of money until mid-way through his second year at the club - which implies mis-man-management as well as lack of effort on his behalf.

Another thing Moyes seems to have got SOOO right

He has actively pinpointed players with the right mentality and have grasped their opportunity with both hands

Anderson talent is clear to see, but his mentality hasn't allowed him to be a constant threat and reach the levels his talent deserves
  • West Ham face competition for Roma goalkeeper Robin Olsen, with Atletico Madrid and Lille keen. The Sweden international, 31, was in fine form during a season-long loan at Everton last season and his displays at Euro 2020 have attracted the Hammers. (AS, via WestHamZone)
  • Being reported we are finalising a loan for Areola (keeper), who spent last season on loan at Fulham.
  • Also, Spanish media suggests Real Madrid want Souček.
  • Lukerz said:

Also, Spanish media suggests Real Madrid want Souček.

Realistically, how much do they have to bid to get him? We talk about £80m for Rice, so you’d have to think around the same for Soucek. With his goals he’s a very valuable player.
  • It's not surprising Soucek courting admirers
  • edited July 2021
    Rice is a few years younger and got the English premium. I think he's better in other areas of his game than Soucek as well, so I don't think the price would be that similar to be honest. Soucek hasn't actually scored many for a while now, so think his upper price might be around £50m.
This discussion has been closed.