Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• It can easily happen. The problem is La Liga will never call in the debts, they rely too much on Real Madrid and Barcelona and no doubt the La Liga FA are lining their pockets from both clubs and seeing them both go would see La Liga dive bomb for a period of time before the inevitable come back (like Rangers over a 5 year or so period) and hopefully with a better model.

All it needs though is someone to pull the trigger in La Liga and UEFA. But with what happened in the ESL it will not happen. The rules will be changed to accommodate both clubs to the detriment of the rest.
  • Yeah, I think the (non) punishments handed out to the ESL clubs is evidence of where the power lies in this business. I've little doubt that allowances will eventually be made for Barca and Real to carry on as before.
  • The other problem with La Liga is the big two have their own tv deal and the rest of the league get pittance.
    If I was in charge of one of the other 18, I'd get together with the other 17 and ban tv cameras into the grounds until they get a fairer deal.
  • True. But how many clubs will be caught in the crossfire when it turns out they won't get the money they are still owed for transfers? Just imagine us selling Rice to Chelsea for 100m and they went bust after the first installment of 10m. They would still owe us 90m but we probably couldn't recoup most of that.
  • True. But how many clubs will be caught in the crossfire when it turns out they won't get the money they are still owed for transfers? Just imagine us selling Rice to Chelsea for 100m and they went bust after the first installment of 10m. They would still owe us 90m but we probably couldn't recoup most of that.

They have insurance companies for those kind of purposes no ?
  • If Chelsea went bust owing us £90m we'd just take Rice back and claim Mount for the mental anguish caused.😁
  • Says Chelsea are in pole position for Rice. Not being funny, with Kante as their current DM, not sure they need to spend £80m on another one. I’m sure they have more pressing areas like up front & in defence.
  • Latest reports suggest Liverpool may bid for him to replace Winaldjum.
  • Are we signing anyone in this window? Is Carlton Cole still available?
  • Pengeman, No one so far but I am reliably informed there is nothing to be concerned about. 🤞
  • Well everyone else have signed at least pretty well no one.
  • edited July 2021
    IronHerb, Can you back that up with as Rafa would say "facts" as the last time I looked half of the Premier League teams had signed at least one player?
  • https://www.premierleague.com/transfers/summer

Full list.
    according to that we've signed 3 players.

• Latest reports suggest Liverpool may bid for him to replace Winaldjum.

Aren't they (relatively) skint?

Heard somewhere they have to sell to buy now after getting Konate, not sure who they're selling to be able to afford Rice

Also another strange move, Fabinho has the DM spot filled, guess Rice could replace Henderson tho

Most logical would be United, he's far superior to Fred/McTominay or Man City as I think he's probably better than Rodri
  • Mrs G, So on that basis Watford & Norwich have signed twice as many players as us! I look forward to seeing the three we have signed being in our match day squad in August. I have been told on numerous occasions I can't compare West Ham to any of the traditional big six clubs when it comes to transfer dealings so 5 of them having not brought anyone in yet I haven't considered for comparison.
  • Obvs, the PL site doesn't distinguish between 1st team players and others. If you want to compare our signing record with other clubs, as your earlier comment to Herb when you were very interested in facts, then you'll presumably want to scrutinize the signings list and produce a ' 1st team signings,' list. For the purposes of you argument that we are lagging behind.
  • edited July 2021
    IronHerb said:

Well everyone else have signed at least pretty well no one.

This is what I was querying.

Villa - Buendia & Young
    Brighton - Mwepu & Sarmiento
    Burnley - Collins?
    Leeds - Firpo & Harrison (was on loan)
    Leicester - Daka & Soumane
    Liverpool - Konate
    Norwich - Gunn, Rashica, Gilmour (loan) & Gibson
    Southampton - Walcott (was on loan) & Perraud
    Watford - Louza, Dennis, Fletcher & Rose
    Wolves - Trincao (loan) & Mosquera?

In all honesty I don't call the above "pretty well no one"
  • Just “pretty well no one I’ve heard of”
  • edited July 2021
    Obviously the promoted clubs will sign a high number of players but I for one am not really counting them.
    Of the other seventeen clubs, eight have signed eleven players with a couple of loans consolidated and one new loan.
    That works out across the division as an average of less than one player each.
    So to me that's pretty much nothing.

QED
  • Sarmiento is an U23, Collins a 20yo CB from Stoke £12m

Oddly the list doesn't mention Craig Dawson who signed a 2 year deal last Thursday for a fee of around £2m
  • My view regard Rice is that only Mun Utd will make a bid and will try and use Lingard towards it, possibly 60m plus Lingard. I think it would fail, not least because us selling Rice would put Lingard off of coming and I think the club will make Rice a very good offer instead. He will either sign it or not. if not the club will keep him for one more year and sell next summer for around 65m.

Now watch him leave for Chelsea the Monday after the Euro final!
  • I can see Utd offering players for Rice as well. I don't think we'll get Lingard. I just have a feeling he'll stay anf fight for his place or stay up North, Everton or somewhere. I hope I'm wrong
  • Was are the chances that Lingard signs a new deal with United but joins us on loan for another year?
  • edited July 2021
    I doubt it. This is probably the best year to challenge Sancho. He’s really young and been playing in a different league so he might actually take a while to settle in. If Lingard came to us I think he’d be in a worse position to stay at Man United next season.

Also don’t think we should agree to do that. It potentially puts his fee up and delays progress of someone like Benrahma.
  • West Ham United are in advanced talks with Manchester City’s Rob Newman to become the clubs new Head of Recruitment.

The 57 year old is currently the international scouting and recruitment manager at Man City, a post he has held since 2008.

Football Insider

Would explain why we have signed nobody...
  • One things for sure, he'd going to get a shock comparing a request for funds from the City owners v Gold & Sullivan. Not sure whether him signing is a good thing. He's been use to identifying 100 million pound players for the last 12 years!
  • But identifying £100m players is easy. It's the good £10-15m players is where the skill lies. Look at Brentford.
  • Rumours are we could have Coutinho for £20 million, just off to check the back of the sofa to start a fundraiser.
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Manchester_City_F.C._records_and_statistics#Highest_transfer_fees_paid

Man City have n't signed anyone over £63mio lots in around 50/60 mio mark they skill is getting the best players for the position within your budget whilst getting the best value. Don't know much about this bloke but he seems to have done a decent job the question is can he do it at our level.
  • Rumours are we could have Coutinho for £20 million, just off to check the back of the sofa to start a fundraiser.

Have you seen his wages?
This discussion has been closed.