Transfer Speculation (1st June onwards)

Comments

• It has been said many times before other clubs identify a target, find out the fee required and pay it ,signing concluded, well that is what it appears they do.

Said by who? And which clubs? West Ham are not the only club who can't buy any player they want. Every club goes through that.

Spurs may not have a manager but they still look to be trying to get some new players in?

Who have Spurs signed?
  • Jorderz, I said Tottenham were looking to sign players. Explain to me how Leicester have set up deals for 3 players, AVFC have got one in & are looking to get a couple more as well. According to media sources other clubs are making positive strides on additions, you don’t have to believe those stories but it can’t all be rubbish. How long do we have to wait for a new striker? This “report” about waiting to try to keep the fees down, other teams don’t seem to have that as a big issue and I expect we will miss out on a few of our targets using that approach. I hope I am proved wrong but time it appears will tell. 👍
  • Jorderz, I said Tottenham were looking to sign players. Explain to me how Leicester have set up deals for 3 players, AVFC have got one in & are looking to get a couple more as well. According to media sources other clubs are making positive strides on additions, you don’t have to believe those stories but it can’t all be rubbish. How long do we have to wait for a new striker? This “report” about waiting to try to keep the fees down, other teams don’t seem to have that as a big issue and I expect we will miss out on a few of our targets using that approach. I hope I am proved wrong but time it appears will tell. 👍

“Looking to” doesn’t mean anything
  • Time won't tell. It won't tell because we will or we won't sign players but unless the club issues a list of targets/ bids, well never know what targets we missed out on.

And even supposing we were able to identify with certainty any targets we missed out on, how will 'time' tell us that it was because our plan was to leave broaching a deal until very late in the window in order to keep the price down?
  • Jorderz, I said Tottenham were looking to sign players.

I don't understand this. Isn't every club trying to sign players? Aren't we? What are Spurs doing that is better than West Ham?

According to media sources other clubs are making positive strides on additions, you don’t have to believe those stories but it can’t all be rubbish.

Which media stories? I genuinely don't understand.
  • alderz, If I was "looking to" move house in my eyes it would mean something!

Mrs G, As I said earlier not all the stories in the press aren't without some substance so if I read or hear that we have been linked with a player and he moves to another club then there will be a feeling we have missed out especially if it comes down to us not being willing to pay the fee?

Jorderz, In the past few days AFC have been linked with two players, Norwich with getting Billy Gilmour on loan. There are many other clubs Leicester as I have mentioned before are making signings. The Euros can't be used as an excuse for us not making the several signings we need but it appears we are unable to afford which is the hub of the problem and which it has been for many years. Aren't the squad back for pre season training this week & didn't David Moyes say he wanted any new additions in early so they could bed in?

• Jorderz, In the past few days AFC have been linked with two players, Norwich with getting Billy Gilmour on loan. There are many other clubs Leicester as I have mentioned before are making signings. The Euros can't be used as an excuse for us not making the several signings we need but it appears we are unable to afford which is the hub of the problem and which it has been for many years. Aren't the squad back for pre season training this week & didn't David Moyes say he wanted any new additions in early so they could bed in?

But we've been 'linked with' lots of players, too. How is it different? You're choosing to believe that other clubs being linked to players shows they're working hard, but when it's West Ham it means nothing.

Lots of clubs are about to be back for pre-season. Again, there have been two notable signings across the Premier League - Buendia and Konate.

So not really seeing the idea that West Ham are doing such an awful job, and everybody else has their squads ready for the new season.

Also, Leicester have signed nobody as far as I can see?
  • edited June 2021
    I think I read somewhere his missus prefers
    Hammers News is two blokes, Antony Martin and Damien Charles Lucas, both of which boast of a huge experience of football journalism but their Linkdin profiles show to be somewhat less than they claim, just a couple of graduates who have worked in local news

They're a couple of click bait merchants who make money every time someone looks at their website but everything on their website is regurgitated from other sources.
  • The transfer window is now in full swing and Leicester City are one of the clubs making their moves.

Leicester look to be closing in on transfers for Lille midfielder Boubakary Soumare and RB Salzburg striker Patson Daka as Brendan Rodgers looks to strengthen his squad ahead of the 2021/22 Premier League and Europa League campaign.

The Foxes are also said to be on the lookout for a left-back in the summer window as they search for someone to compete with academy graduate Luke Thomas for the position.

One of the names to be linked is England international Ryan Bertrand, who is leaving Southampton this summer.

City have been holding talks with the 31-year-old and are said to be in pole position to secure his services.

It can't be all a piece of fiction!
  • It may not all be fiction Fortune but are you suggesting that we should be bidding for every player who is linked with other clubs. For all we know none of the names mentioned may be on our wish list.
  • No I am certainly not saying that. Unless the floodgates are going to open after July 11 with players who have been playing in the Euros suddenly arriving then I can't see why we don't appear to be close to concluding any deals. Five EPL teams have made signings who I would expect will be in their first teams next season. How much have we got to spend? Someone floated the idea we have £30 million for a centre forward. What is the budget going to be then?
  • https://www.skysports.com/football/transfer-deals

Completed PL transfers so far.

Which signings do you wish we'd made, fortune? Konate is way out of our league. Almost nobody has signed anybody of any note.
  • edited June 2021
    Jorderz, What makes you think I wish we would had made any of the signings other clubs have done? Why shouldn't we be in the market for a player like Konate? Don't worry I know the answer & that is a frustration many of us have to live with being told something will happen and so far it hasn't.

thorn, IF you believe the press we had a keen interest in Daka.
  • alderz, If I was "looking to" move house in my eyes it would mean something

Bad choice of words today as the people I’m meant to be buying from just pulled out, so maybe it doesn’t mean anything
  • Fortune I don’t believe in press speculation as they know little more than we do unless a transfer is close to completion. Unless Moyes and his team say we are trying to sign so and so I will just wait and see.
    Press speculation along the lines of “West Ham are considering being interested in the possibility of maybe looking into talking to player x who is also being looked at by other clubs” is totally worthless
  • Jorderz, What makes you think I wish we would had made any of the signings other clubs have done? Why shouldn't we be in the market for a player like Konate? Don't worry I know the answer & that is a frustration many of us have to live with being told something will happen and so far it hasn't.

thorn, IF you believe the press we had a keen interest in Daka.

Konate is one of the most highly-rated young CBs in world football, so not sure why you think we'd be in the market for him.

My point about the signings other clubs have made is that you seem to be holding West Ham to a higher expectation than practically every other PL club.

Why should West Ham have done their business already, when basically nobody else has? Maybe these things take time, and maybe it's worth taking some time to make the right signings?
  • alderz, genuinely sorry to hear that.
  • alderz said:

alderz, If I was "looking to" move house in my eyes it would mean something

Bad choice of words today as the people I’m meant to be buying from just pulled out, so maybe it doesn’t mean anything
    Sorry to hear that alderz. I had the same thing a few years back when the person we were buying from pulled out on the day of exchange, so I know how bad it feels.

Hopefully you'll find somewhere better soon 👍
  • Jorderz, Some business, and not signings for the Academy, would have been a start. I have said previously, for which I was rebuked by some, it would be nice to sign a player just for once that one of the big clubs wanted.
  • It would be nice but extremely unlikely. If a player has the choice of us or one of the big clubs as you call them, then it’s not difficult to guess where they’ll probably end up.
  • I’m sure there are a few big clubs who wished they’d signed Soucek.
  • alderz, genuinely sorry to hear that.

alderz said:

alderz, If I was "looking to" move house in my eyes it would mean something

Sorry to hear that alderz. I had the same thing a few years back when the person we were buying from pulled out on the day of exchange, so I know how bad it feels.

Hopefully you'll find somewhere better soon 👍
    Thanks guys. We’re very cross!
  • I prefer the 'close to the chest' style of Moyes. Sally's big-mouth approach just led to disappointment. Best not to know what we missed. Anyway, the Czech Republic are still in the Euros, so most of the targets are being chatted up by Messrs Soucek and Coufal =)
  • Villa also remain keen on Chelsea's England striker Tammy Abraham, 23, whose £40m price-tag will be too expensive for West Ham. (Eurosport)
  • I think Villa would probably pay that, you know. Him and Watkins would give them very good options up front.

As for us, I'm hopeful that Yarmolenko's run in the Euros will attract some decent bids. If we could get £10m for him (unlikely, but we should apply Euros Tax to any valuation) I'd be delighted. That could make the difference in securing some of Moyes' top choices.
  • Villa are the exception not the rule, and officially they only have 1 in

Leicester have been "close" to completing for Daka for best part of 3 or 4 weeks now and haven't yet signed him

If Villa wanna spend £40mil on Abraham then fair enough, but don't think he's worth that and I also don't think Buendia is worth £35mil

We've managed to get Coufal (6m), Soucek (14m), Benrahma (25m), Bowen (20m), Dawson (2m) for the combined cost of Abraham/Buendia

Also, the chances are Villa can make these purchases as they are gonna be getting close to £100mil for Grealish

If we were planning on selling Rice we'd probably be spending big too
  • According to the usual rumour mill Paul Onuachu agent is in London to discuss a transfer, we have made an offer to Nika Masksimovic and Alan Irvine will be appointed head of recruitment to be announced soon. I think Moyes has said he is going to revamp our recruitment and scouting structure and hopefully we will see the benefits soon
  • Paul Onuachu - 42 goals in 60 games in the Belgian League. 51 in 134 before that in the Danish League. 3 in 13 for Nigeria.

Decent numbers, but not in particularly strong leagues. He's 27, so arguably in his prime but not exactly 'Red Bull Model' material.

6' 7", which suggests he's not a like-for-like alternative for Antonio but more of a target man option? Likely to be cheaper than Abraham, Armstrong, Edouard etc. so I can see this one appealing to Sullivan.

Maksimovic - bounced around a few teams. 66 games for Napoli over five seasons and 25 appearances for Serbia over nine years, which suggests either fitness issues or he's not been a regular first-team choice for either club nor country. 29 years old and free, so a likely CB signing if we're in the market for one.
  • Daka to Leicester confirmed.

Very envious, TBH. I think he's going to do well there.
  • brilliant business from Leicester so far
This discussion has been closed.