Transfer Speculation

Comments

• It claims to quote Moyes though rather than their own reporting.
  • Direct quotes they attribute:

“The biggest thing is that there will be a lack of funds - not just at West Ham but at a lot of clubs this summer. We’ve gone through 18 months of a pandemic, no crowds, no corporate, cuts in most things, so I would think it will be a summer of lesser transfer activity.”

Their 'reporting' ... Moyes insists the size of the club’s transfer kitty will mean NO big-money arrivals.

• Which goes back to my original post @ 5.01.

If no club spends big then I will believe it but lets wait and see!
  • Makes sense really, we haven't got any money

We lost £70mil for the 18/19 season, £30mil the one before (without COVID) so we have probably also lost a LOT this year given there have been zero fans

That plus the fact we still owe around £100mil in transfer fees
  • Don’t really care if we make big money signings, just that we cover some of the positions we’re really short in so hopefully we can find some bargains. Lingard becomes a bit of a weird signing - feels like one we have to make but hopefully it doesn’t mean sacrificing where we’re short.
  • Sky Sports quotes Moyes on Tammy Abraham's rumoured £40m price tag

"It would rule us out completely. We will be ruled out, So if that's the figure and that's what's being said, we are ruled out."

"We don't have that money, we don't have that to buy a striker at that price, no."

"Is that sort of figure our total spend? It may well be. But you never know here."

"I don't think we will be making a purchase of that for any one player. I'd be surprised if we were."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/12293566/tammy-abraham-david-moyes-says-40m-price-tag-for-chelsea-striker-would-rule-west-ham-out-of-transfer
  • So are we ruled out or not? 🤔
  • Probably true ( Moyes seems like a straight talker so far). But could be a wise move - you don't want to tell the selling clubs that you are rolling in dosh.
  • Very few clubs will be rolling in dosh this transfer window, but we're going into it after a season with a very small squad (probably the fewest number of registered players given Rice and Johnson are both u21's this season I believe), having sold Haller in January, and, even including making Benrahma permanent, have a very small net spend over the last few windows.

Not signing Lingard will effectively be like losing another player from an already small squad, and failing to secure a regular, starting CF will be negligent beyond belief, whether that's Abraham or someone similar.
  • You have to wonder what our situation would be like if Sully had trusted Moyes after his first stint, instead of dragging MP back from China.

Some of MP/Husillos signings:

Costly mistakes:
    Haller £45m
    Anderson £42m
    Yarmolenko £17.5m
    Wilshere £100,000 a week 3 year deal + £?m termination of contract fee
    Lucas Perez £4m
    Roberto - free, but at what cost in terms of results
    Ajeti £8m
    Total: approx.£120m

Relatively successful signings:
    Fredericks - free
    Fabianski £7m
    Diop £22m-25m
    Balbuena £4m
    Fornals £25m
    Total: £58m-61m

• There were reports that Pellegrini had agreed to join West Ham in the summer before they signed Moyes plus I seem to remember reading somewhere that Sullivan wasn't keen on Moyes and it was Gold who rated him.

Surely Roberto was Pellegrini's best signing as it led to him being replaced by Moyes
  • Moyes has made shrewd signing in Soucek, Coufal, Dawson, Bowen and Benrahma. He has not gone for any of the EPL stars or players with a baggage of EPL reputation. These signings have been good and some even exceptional. Given the limited resources, I doubt that Moyes will sign any of the headline EP rejects (Lingard may be the exception). I think he will scour foreign leagues and lower leagues to sign new players. Domestic players are often over-priced.
  • Hopefully there will be a transfer ban for the ESL snakes which will help lower fees and level the playing field a bit.
  • Wrong thread
  • United have also joined Premier League rivals Tottenham and West Ham in the race to sign West Brom's English goalkeeper Sam Johnstone, 28, in preparation for the departure of Spanish stopper David de Gea, 30, this summer. (ESPN)
  • WEST HAM, PALACE MONITORING HWANG

RB Leipzig striker Hwang Hee-chan is being monitored by West Ham and Crystal Palace for a summer move, according to the Telegraph. 

• Heard he's a bit of a goal hwanger.

We've done this one before, haven't we.
  • Jorderz, yes we have but the rumours keep hwanging around. 😁
  • edited May 2021
    I believe he's the young son of a famous musician who had a hit in the early 80's.
    I've managed to find the video, it's quite catchy for Korean music of that era. =)

• Come on guys, Hwang on a minute
  • Manchester City will consider a move for West Ham and England midfielder Declan Rice, 22, if 36-year-old Brazilian Fernandinho leaves the club when his contract runs out in the summer. (Times - subscription required)
  • West Ham have joined Chelsea and a host of other clubs in the race for Brentford's 25-year-old English striker Ivan Toney, who will cost £35m. (Sun)
  • Premier League-bound Norwich City are in competition with Southampton and West Ham to sign Manchester United and England Under-21 full-back Brandon Williams, 20, on loan in the summer. (Sun)
  • Finally, a realistic one!

Williams on loan is much more likely that Abrahams for £40m or Toney for £35m
  • Maybe with the current financial market Tammy A will be available on a loan with an option to buy 🤔
  • Williams is another right back who's been playing on the left though, isn't he? He's also never looked very impressive to me.
  • Williams is a right footed left back who can play right back
  • 7 minutes on the pitch in 2 sub appearances this season. Don't see the value in loaning him in.
  • IronHerb, I'm going to start calling you Mr Spok, every time I get all excited over a transfer you bring logic into it and ruin my dream. :(
  • Williams has had 11 appearances for Man U this season for a total of 434 minutes. Apart from his brief Premier League appearances he's had three starts in the Cups (Watford, Luton, Brighton) plus extra time against us and five substitute appearances in Europe.

Before Lingard came on loan he'd had 179 minutes in the same three Cup games Williams started.
This discussion has been closed.