Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited April 2021

We've scored 53 goals this season, more than any season since 2015-16 when we had Carroll, Sakho and Valencia. Our top scorer was Payet

#YouCan'tBeatStats
  • Man U confirming players have been asking on England duty what’s it like playing for Man U and Rice was definitely one of them.
  • Its nothing ,Just like if i was to have a beer with Brad pitt .I would ask him whats it was like dating Jenifer Aniston .Dont mean i would =)
  • Or more’s to the point, it doesn’t mean she would 😂
  • She might =)
  • I'll have what you were drinking! =)
  • I'll have what Jennifer Aniston's drinking...
  • Man U confirming players have been asking on England duty what’s it like playing for Man U and Rice was definitely one of them.

RICE: I love playing for West Ham. What’s it like playing for Man Utd?
    MAGUIRE: Well, the pressure is huge, we’re expected to win trophies but aren’t good enough, and everyone hates us
    RICE: Cool, I’ll stay put, ta
  • I see we are linked with Marko Arnautovic again https://www.hammers.news/transfer-news/west-ham-fans-plead-with-david-moyes-to-re-sign-mark-arnautovic/ .

May be journalists have to write something to earn their living but I hope the rumour has no substance. Marko left West Ham in a huff and now wants to leave China in a huff. He is obviously not the player he was and it would be crazy to sign him again. He would be disruptive and will have little or no resale value.
  • edited April 2021
    What West ham fans are pleading with Moyes?

So I read the 'article' and didn't see any pleading. A few blokes on twitter responding with a yes to a question from some other Twitter account asking if they'd take Arnie back.

I think you dignify them with the title of journalists.
  • The m not saying football journalism is good but a lot of what people post is by content farms just trying to get clicks.
  • Apart from the disruptions he would cause the previous contempt he showed to our club I’d say a massive NO and at 32 he’s not in moyes age range I’d like to think either
  • Chelsea are reported to have slapped a £40m price tag on Abrahams, which I think prices us out.
  • £40m for "the inflatable tube man" !
  • I'd be surprised if anyone paid that for him. He's good, don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure he's £40m good.
  • It seems that Tuchel doesn't rate him and is prepared to let him go, so he could be described as a Chavski reject.
    Who would pay £40m for a Chelsea reject (Rice excepted of course =) )?
    If he's not good enough for them then £40m is ridiculous.
  • It seems that Tuchel doesn't rate him and is prepared to let him go, so he could be described as a Chavski reject.
    Who would pay £40m for a Chelsea reject (Rice excepted of course =) )?
    If he's not good enough for them then £40m is ridiculous.

You mean like Lukaku, Salah and Sturridge?
  • The £40m was reported by the Telegraph so you can't read the actual article without paying a subscription

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/28/chelsea-ready-offload-tammy-abraham-40m-club-plot-overhaul-forward/

Teamtalk have a different angle (and can be read for free), saying that Abrahams might be stuck at Chelsea unless he is prepared to drop his wage demands

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-tammy-abraham-faces-being-stuck-chelsea-one-big-reason
  • I'd quite like Abraham tbh, although would prefer to be paying closer to £30m than £40m.
  • £30m for an England international with a more than decent goals return and his best years ahead of him is probably about right.

However, that's probably £15m more than we can afford.

With £20-25m of our budget already (presumably) reserved for Lingard, we may only have another £30m or so to bring in a striker, a midfielder and someone who is capable of playing LB and LWB equally well.
  • The £40m was reported by the Telegraph so you can't read the actual article without paying a subscription

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/04/28/chelsea-ready-offload-tammy-abraham-40m-club-plot-overhaul-forward/

Teamtalk have a different angle (and can be read for free), saying that Abrahams might be stuck at Chelsea unless he is prepared to drop his wage demands

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-tammy-abraham-faces-being-stuck-chelsea-one-big-reason

Little trick with the Telegraph. Refresh the page and then quickly hit the cancel refresh. You’ll be able to read the article because the paywall thing doesn’t load up.
  • https://www.football365.com/news/tottenham-arsenal-net-transfer-fees-owed-list

According to this ( not sure accurate it is) we owe 95 mio in transfers thats after what we are owed . The only silver lining is Spurs are in an even worse position than us
  • Fredericks as back up LB/LWB, Lundstrum on a free as cover for Rice and Soucek, £30m for Abraham?
  • Think when JL doesn’t sign
    Barkley will be the main target
  • Would say Abraham measures up as 'better' than Watkins

Abraham got 26 goals in 40 games at Villa (when he was 21)

Watkins got 26 goals in 49 games at Bretford (when he was 24)

Plus Abraham was Chelsea top scorer last year with 15 goals in the Prem, Watkins is currently at 12 despite already playing more than Abraham did last year

If Watkins cost £28mil +5mil add ons, think Tammy at £35/£40mil is about right imo

Still think that with COVID hanging over us it's unlikely we will drop that especially given Lingard will set us back at least £20mil
  • Jury still out on Lingard for me - yes he has been fantastic for us , but is it just a purple patch? - the last couple of games he has looked merely human so value/price may come back a little by season's end.
  • Fredericks as back up LB/LWB, Lundstrum on a free as cover for Rice and Soucek, £30m for Abraham?

I'm still not convinced by Fredericks. Certainly not on the left. And I don't think we need a back-up; I think we need a starter in that position.

Someone like Chilwell, Castagne or Digne. Someone that can play as an orthodox left back but is equally capable as a wing-back. This would allow Moyes to have the flexibility within the game to change formations without wasting a sub. Chelsea have Alonso and Emerson kicking their heels on the bench; I do wonder whether we'll have a look at either of those.

Lundstram isn't a bad shout. We were linked in January and as a free may be decent enough back-up. But I think we could possibly do better than him.

Bottom line is, we'll have to be clever to get what we need with what we'll have available.
  • Lingard made 210 appearances for Man U in all competitions and has been capped 27 times for England, 6 of those in the last World Cup.

Every player has the occasional dip in form, we should try our utmost to sign him
  • I'd like to see Yarmolenko and Anderson off the wage bill
  • I don’t think Lingard’s form is just an accident. He’s in a system that suits him. I fear he might struggle a little more for the rest of the season if we play defences that play deeper and without the work Antonio does distracting defenders but that doesn’t mean recent form is a one-off.

The way I see Lingard is he’s the piece that takes our attack to an extra level. We were getting on fine without him but he made us a much bigger goal threat in a way that signings like Anderson and Yarmolenko were supposed to and did not. He’s going to be important if we want to keep up this level of performance next year, I think, even if he’s not a guaranteed starter in the way he is right now. That might not even be a bad thing - I don’t think he’s the solution in every situation.
This discussion has been closed.