Deadline Day - Don't go to bed

12345679»

Comments

• edited February 2021
    Striker signings are not easy but certainly not as difficult as the disastrous efforts of the gruesome duo’s era would make it seem. Before they came we had the likes of Zamora and Harewood - by no means top drawer but even these two would put the vast majority of G&S’s misfits to shame.
  • We are fifth in the league. I find it very hard to believe the vast majority of the stadium, were it full, would be venting dismay at the manager.

If that would true I would be well and truly done with this club and it’s fanbase.
  • The fans have generally not vented at the manager though have they?
  • Does anyone recall a pitch invasion in recent times or the odd protest march?

Not against the manager though. If you think Moyes would bow to crowd pressure when making signings then we'd be better off without him.
  • Isn’t that what he meant by saying he won’t sign players just to appease people.

I remember an odd protest. They were shouting something about Bill Gates and masks.
  • Apologies the protests at the London Stadium would be against G&S but David Moyes would still be present and have to deal with them. 👍
  • OCS

Why is Moyes asking the board to pursue a player who doesn’t want to come and the club doesn’t want to sell? Seems to be a bit of a strange thing to do and ultimately a waste of time and effort.

Presumably he isn't now. I imagine the conversation went something like:

Sullivan: Who do you want to replace Haller, Davey Boy?

Moyes: En-Nesyri. Top player. I'd happily take him.

Sullivan: Leave it to me Dave

(Sullivan phones Will Salthouse): Got anyone called En-Nesyri on your books?

Salthouse: Who?

Sullivan: Nevermind (hangs up, calls Seville). Hello Juan. How's tricks. You spoken to Sporting's chairman recently? No? Good. Listen, your boy En-Nesyri? How much do want for him?

Carmona: £40m

Sullivan: Bit steep fella. How about £25m?

Carmona: Good one. It's £40m.

Sullivan: I'll get back you.

(Sullivan emails Sky, Talksport, C&H: Lads, I've gone in big for a top, top striker, but it's a no-go. Tried really hard, but they won't budge. Remember though, it's all Pellegrini's fault. Just going to give Dave the good news)

Sullivan: Alright Davey Boy. Sorry, it's a no go on your striker. I tried everything I could

Moyes: It's been 10 minutes since we spoke...

Sullivan: Yeah, sorry, got to go, The Rise of the Krays is about to start on Sony Movies. Have a think about who else you want, but probably best to wait 'til the summer, yeah. Cheers Dave.

Told you...
  • So we can add them to sporting lisbon, Spurs and eintracht Frankfurt as clubs who won’t deal with sully going forward
  • Wasn’t it the case that the player didn’t want to come?

So sully put in a low ball bid for a player who did didn’t want to come? The whole thing didn’t have a lot going for it did it?
  • We won’t probably ever know what really happened but it may be a case of our offering what we considered to be a true value of his worth and their wanting an extortionate sum.
    A bit like, say, Chelsea offering £50M for Dec and our saying it’s £90 or nothing.
  • So we can add them to sporting lisbon, Spurs and eintracht Frankfurt as clubs who won’t deal with sully going forward

I think that this is a different situation. Another way of interpreting what Monchi said is: "they made an ok offer, we wanted a great offer, they weren't prepared to go that high so that was it". I don't think that's the same as messing them about, and I can't see it affecting future relations.
  • First of all, he says it wasn't a 'ridiculous' offer, which means it was fair. Secondly, putting something out like that in the public domain is very obviously done as away of boosting any future offers from any other clubs. It's code for we want a lot of dosh, and we are tough and decisive in negotiations.
  • Has El Nesyri pinched Ellen White’s goal celebration or is it the other way round? Either way I find it extremely irritating (a bit like Son Heing Min’s). At least Antonio’s celebrations are quite entertaining and he comes up with different ones.
  • It's a very different window to the summer window, which means deals are conducted differently. In this case the club didn't need sell, the player wasn't pushing a move so it meant we would have needed make an offer they couldn't refuse. We clearly didn't because we didn't need to. The similarities would be the same with Rice, every player is for sale but I hope we would need an offer we couldn't refuse to part with him.

Last season this window was different as we were desperate, I doubt the Bowen deal would have got done if we were mid-table. It felt like Hull and the player pushed us and pushed us and we had to cough up, glad we did.

We have made enough mistakes and just lost 20m on Haller so not rushing in a January window would appear prudent regard this deal.
  • edited February 2021
    c&bsky, it didn’t help Palace were trying to sign Bowen so we either got him when we did or lost out to them, a bit like us not getting Eze as we hadn’t sold Grady.

Does this mean as we now have four months till the season ends we will be buying a new striker a lot earlier in the next window as look at all the preparation time we have? 🤔
  • MrsG, you are almost certainly right but one begs the question why? I am old enough or have a good memory of a time when we signed our new centre forward - Sandy Clark before David Cross had left at the end of that season in May. I know we have to wait for the transfer window to open but we have been waiting for a new No.9 for ........!
  • I suppose that if Moyes has a very specific idea of the striker he wants (which I think we safely assume he does), there is going to be a very narrow intersection between all the elements needed for us to sign a striker:

1. Moyes wants him
    2. His club are willing to sell him
    3. He wants to come
    4. We can afford him
    5. We can afford his wages
    6. We are not outbid by another club
    7. We are not competing with a club who can offer Champions League football or a chance at trophies etc

So it doesn't seem that straightforward to me. I guess some clubs/managers are willing to settle for/gamble on somebody further down their wishlist, but Moyes doesn't seem that type.
  • MrsG, you are almost certainly right but one begs the question why? I am old enough or have a good memory of a time when we signed our new centre forward - Sandy Clark before David Cross had left at the end of that season in May. I know we have to wait for the transfer window to open but we have been waiting for a new No.9 for ........!

Maybe Moyes didn't think anyone wanted Haller so he was making long term plans with him as a squad member until his contract ran out in 2024.

Then out of the blue Ajax made an offer and he seized the opportunity to get Haller off the books. He had an idea of a Haller replacement but for whatever reason couldn't get a transfer sorted out so Moyes will wait until the summer.