Deadline Day - Don't go to bed

Comments

• its the lack of numbers in the squad is the issue, get rid of players you do not want of course but do we have enough in the squad, we cannot rest players and if we drop down the league due to lack of ambition, will our prize assets want to stay.
  • Benrahma doesn’t count as there was a binding commitment to buy him before this window. No way at all IMO that counts as a Jan signing.
  • Other than we paid off the outstanding £20m for him.
  • Do we actually know that? So what’s happened to the Grady money?
  • edited February 2021
    It’s not just (some of) us whingeing at the lack of strikers. Just seen an Everton fan moaning about Tosun being let go leaving them “only” with DCL who is apparently in the middle of a goal drought 😂😂
  • It’s not just (some of) us whingeing at the lack of strikers. Just seen an Everton fan moaning about Tosun being let go leaving them “only” with DCL who is apparently in the middle of a goal drought 😂😂

Looks like they may get King. So you know, a one out, one in kinda thing.

Lunacy.
  • If we are not discussing potential West Ham strikers we may as well talk about former ones

Elliot Lee has just moved to Oxford on loan from Luton
  • Lukerz said:

I am pretty sure there will be a player or two coming in today. It’s all been incredibly downplayed by Moyes, because that’s what he does, but there is definitely likely to be a signing or two.

I’m just posting this candle of hope as we move towards the two hours to go mark 😂
  • Nun -night zzzzzz
  • yoyo said:

Nun -night zzzzzz

Nunighterz 🤔
  • In other news, a certain Gedson Fernandes has quietly slunk away from Spurs having never started a PL game for them.

He was signed by Jose, probably because he saw we had an interest. We then ended up with a somewhat disastrous second prize in the form of a certain T Soucek

Mr Fernandes apparently carries a release clause of £56m. What a pity there wasn’t an obligation to buy.

• What happened to that guy Bondswell from Leipzig? It was reported the other day that we’d agreed terms and he was on his way to London for a medical, and he’s just never turned up?
  • alderz said:

What happened to that guy Bondswell from Leipzig? It was reported the other day that we’d agreed terms and he was on his way to London for a medical, and he’s just never turned up?

Turns out it was all a load of cobblers. From what Ex has said, we were 'interested' but it never got any further than that.
  • alderz, he is still hwanging about at the airport waiting for Chan to board the plane with him...... not!
  • Do we actually know that? So what’s happened to the Grady money?

It’s been added to the sale of Upton Park to take us to the next level come on keep up
  • Liverpool have signed two centre backs today. But they're already safe from relegation. Strange decision 🤔
  • Another thing that annoys me; why do our U23s get rubbish loans. Afolayan and Alese have both gone to League 2 clubs. What are they going to learn from that? What are we going to learn from that? Should we not be testing them at Championship level? And if they're not going there because they're not good enough for that league, what does it say about our recruitment at Academy level?

Diangana aside, I can't remember the last West Ham player to have a successful loan at any decent level.

• Diangana aside, I can't remember the last West Ham player to have a successful loan at any decent level.

Cullen on loan to Charlton was a successful one, I think.
  • According to SSN Moyes was told, and that was apparently reiterated this morning, that they would back him up to £30M for a new striker but he said no he’s happy with what he’s got for this window.
    Obviously the striker(s) he wanted weren’t available this window so he’s prepared to wait.
    Should imagine if we were only about 4/5 points outside relegation places he would have thought differently.
  • I really struggle to understand why the Sky pundits seem to think we've had a good window. I can understand Moyes preferring to wait rather than buy the wrong player, but that doesn't make it a good window, possibly a sensible window but not a good one.

We have no real cover for Antonio whose hamstrings are made of glass (or perhaps 2lb fishing line), and none for SouDec, who both looked really leggy against Liverpool, without a huge drop off in class.
  • Well, I think it's safe to say you can all go to bed now. Night night everyone.
  • Buffy my phone pinged you woke me up
  • Sounds like Moyes is planning for the long term. Great news
  • And we still have Rice ...Right we do still have him .Please tell me we still have him
  • steve said:

And we still have Rice ...Right we do still have him .Please tell me we still have him

Does that count as a transfer?
  • It’s not just (some of) us whingeing at the lack of strikers. Just seen an Everton fan moaning about Tosun being let go leaving them “only” with DCL who is apparently in the middle of a goal drought 😂😂

Looks like they may get King. So you know, a one out, one in kinda thing.

Lunacy.
    Have you seen the BBC article on King's move to Everton? "Minimal fee" and a six month deal with an option to extend.

Absolutely perfect deal for our situation. Perfect. Low fee, given we're supposedly skint, short term deal, given Moyes wants to wait for the summer to get 'his' striker.

If we weren't involved in any conversations about this deal then we're in bigger trouble than I thought.
  • Yeah, one of the big negatives was that we thought King would demand at least a 2.5 year deal, so we'd be stuck with him for 2 more seasons after this when we'd really want someone younger (and better). He might not be brilliant, but I'd rather him in on, effectively, an expensive loan, than not have him at all.
  • edited February 2021

Yeah, one of the big negatives was that we thought King would demand at least a 2.5 year deal, so we'd be stuck with him for 2 more seasons after this when we'd really want someone younger (and better). He might not be brilliant, but I'd rather him in on, effectively, an expensive loan, than not have him at all.

I honestly can't see any downside to this deal. A striker with experience and goals in the PL, who can do a similar job to our only senior striker, and was available on a deal that would a) address our immediate problem and b) not hinder the manager's long-term plans. It is the very definition of win-win.
  • Maybe, just maybe, he didn't want to come to West Ham.