Deadline Day - Don't go to bed

Comments

• Which bit Fortune? The not going to appease? If so that is not his job.
  • edited February 2021
    Just a couple of points Champo; Robinson is a left-back so I don't think he was ever an either/or with Coufal as they play in different positions.

And secondly, I was pro-Manning. I'd watched a few QPR games and he looked decent. I felt that he could do a job as a Masuaku understudy as he was more a winger than a full-back, but in a 3-5-2 that's what we needed. As it was, when Masuaku was ruled out, we had to abandon the formation and revert to four at the back.

And whilst I agree that it's good to have a manager that is thinking about the long-term, I don't think it should necessarily come at the cost of the short-term. We have a genuine chance of making Europe this season, which was one of the board's aim when they moved stadiums, and yet the club don't seem too bothered if we don't take it. That doesn't scream 'ambition' to me.
  • Where we finish this season is pivotal and crucial for me.

I won’t be remotely contented with a middle table finish. Has to be European finish of sorts. Otherwise the season is a C minus.

The fact that we were flirting with relegation last season is not overly relevant in my opinion.

I’m probably totally in the minority with this 😂

I won’t be remotely contented with a middle table finish. Has to be European finish of sorts. Otherwise the season is a C minus.

The fact that we were flirting with relegation last season is not overly relevant in my opinion.

I’m probably totally in the minority with this 😂

Going into this season I thought we would struggle, and the idea of getting into Europe was laughable. I personally won't be rebaselining my expectations just because we've started so well. Top half, positive goal difference is a B for me, Europe or above Arsenal is an A, both is an A+.
  • I agree with Moyes about getting the right person in and not signing people for the sake of it but it is clear to see that perhaps even a loan in striker would have helped. Is it all about the board being tight? I don't really think so, after all If the board aren't excited about possible European football and extra coffers then what's the point?

I can't get on board with this at all.
  • Jorderz, happy to take any criticism at the end of the season if we are still 5th. 👍
    IronHerb, he hasn’t got a new striker in which a few on here are flagging up as remiss. He appears not to be appeasing the clamour for reinforcements? Lets see where we finish, I hope we don’t miss yet another good opportunity.
  • edited February 2021

Can get behind his rationale but don't sell your back up striker to leave you with no options other than having to rely on someone "doing a job" in that position till something becomes available because what happens if the right person isn't available in the summer. Poor decision making.

If in his judgement the 'back up' striker was no better than the players we can call on to 'do a job' then it makes perfect sense to let the player go.

Finding out that the 'right person' isn't available in the summer wouldn't make your non-quite-good-enough 2nd striker any better.
  • Each to their own I guess. But our ground was given up to be replaced by a rented athletics stadium at the end of the day.
  • yoyo said:

I agree with Moyes about getting the right person in and not signing people for the sake of it but it is clear to see that perhaps even a loan in striker would have helped. Is it all about the board being tight? I don't really think so, after all If the board aren't excited about possible European football and extra coffers then what's the point?

The point for them is the massive profit they'll make from the club when they eventually sell up. That profit is maximised if they have a low net spend over their time at the club and maintain their PL status to ensure top TV money. I'm not sure that playing in the Europa league would make them that much money when the extra costs are taken into consideration.
  • edited February 2021
    Getting rid of your options in a position and not backfilling is a fail

Panic buying the wrong player in desperation is a fail

Both are fails, albeit different

No-one comes out of this with any modicum of credit right now, not Moyes, not Sully

However if we maintain our performance levels, keep our key starters fit and playing hopefully it will be forgotten come the summer.
  • Whether they make a massive profit or not is irrelevant to whether we should buy someone for the sake of it, rather than because the manager actually wants them to improve the squad. I would be more unhappy is we spent £10M on someone who ended up not having much if any playing time and ended up being a drain on our resources - Hughill was a good (/bad) example of this.

Equally, Haller was not contributing, during cash and devaluing day by day, so whilst I would have hoped we would have a replacement lined up, there was little value in hanging on to him.

Hopefully Yarmo and Odebeku step up, and are given the chance to, when needed.
  • I want Moyes to try and recreate here what he did at Everton, and I believe that's what he's aiming for.

They didn't splurge money on squad fillers and remained within their means all the time. Moyes only signed players who he felt certain could a) improve the team and b) work as hard off the ball as he demands.

I think the argument that we should have filled out the squad this season to try and qualify for Europe is short-sighted. We've had years, decades probably, of signing players who don't work out and then we can't shift them, shift them for a loss and/or end up burned and worse off because of their extortionate wages.

I'd rather look long-term, and I think Moyes is looking long-term. He doesn't want to be a coach, he wants to manage the club from top to bottom the way he did at Everton, and the way Fergie did at Man U and Wenger did at Arsenal.

So I'm not too worried about us not qualifying for Europe this season, because I believe we are aiming for longer-term stability at the right end of the table.

Look at Moyes' Premier League finishes while at Everton: 7th, 17th, 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th, 7th, 6th.

I'll take a shot at that kind of consistency any day of the week.

We are short of back-up but I'd rather we wait for the right players, who will be around for a while and fit the mould, rather than shots in the dark or hopeful punts. Which, let's face it, we get horrendously wrong almost all the time.
  • Not saying we should fill our squad to try qualify for Europe, but IMO this is the least they could have done ( Moyes/Owners )...
    Purchased Dawson, I believe from the reports he was available for £2-3 million, beer money for our owners, and on performances so far I guess this will be done, that would have freed up space for an on loan Striker.
    This is my only gripe, happy we not wasting money, but to be left with Antonio on his own, plus a few possible makeshift options upfront is poor....All IMO of course.
  • 11 years we have been buying/loaning in strikers in this regime. Almost 50 of them? Very very few instances of the tenure of that striker being a positive from the start, to during, to the end.

May as well have had a 3 year old make the choices - we’d have probably had more joy just based purely on the law of averages.
  • Dodger58 said:

Hopefully Yarmo and Odebeku step up, and are given the chance to, when needed.

Yep, we all hope for that. The problem as I see it is Yarmolenko is a player more in Haller's mould than Antonio's, but not quite as good as Haller, so I can't see how that step-up is possible, personally. If Haller wasn't a suitable deputy for Antonio and how he plays, the Yarmolenko definitely won't be.

I have more hope for Odubeko, but I'm not convinced he'll get much chance to play. I think it's Antonio > Yarmolenko > False 9 > Odubeko.

But I guess we'll see over the next few months.
  • 11 years we have been buying/loaning in strikers in this regime. Almost 50 of them? Very very few instances of the tenure of that striker being a positive from the start, to during, to the end.

May as well have had a 3 year old make the choices - we’d have probably had more joy just based purely on the law of averages.

So the solution is to buy a striker again who the gaffer doesn't fancy or isn't worth half of what he'd cost?
  • No but neither is waiting what will now be 18 months to identify and get the desired player.
  • Hopefully they've spent a fortune on bubble wrap to cover Antonio in between games
  • He doesn't want to be a coach, he wants to manage the club from top to bottom the way he did at Everton, and the way Fergie did at Man U and Wenger did at Arsenal.

Genuine question; do you (does anyone) think Sullivan will allow him to do so? He reluctantly gave Pellegrini a DofF and jumped at the first opportunity to take it back.

I do like that Moyes wants to do more, but I'm not convinced he'll be given the scope to do it.
  • Jorderz, all of that is completely true, but when you consider there were loans (Maja to Fulham, Minamino to Southampton) and a short term deal for Josh King all agreed on the last day of the window, these could have provided at least a basic cover for Antonio without having a serious long term impact by saddling us with a player we didn't see as long term.

A goal or two could easily make the difference of a place or two in the final table and so such a deal might well be self financing through increased prize money, and could help us attract better players in the summer when we once again go into the transfer market.

Don't forget, there's no guarantee that the players Moyes wants will be any more willing to come in the summer than now, or will be any more "value for money" for Sully, but I would argue they'll view us as a much more attractive proposition if we finish 6th or 7th, than if it's 10th or 12th.

I genuinely believe Rice will go in the summer unless we can convince him we're serious about challenging for Europe and Cups; we all know he's a large cut above the team as a whole and, imo, our only chance of keeping him is to show genuine ambition to move the club forward. This window was a chance to try to make a step in that direction, to try to capitalise on the very good start to the season, but having to play the remainder of the season reliant on Antonio's hamstrings holding up is a huge gamble imo.

Pessimistic maybe, but I see us dropping down to 9th or 10th, selling Rice, and then very little, if anything, of the £30m that Moyes hasn't spent this window (or any other monies that would usually constitute the summer transfer kitty) being added to the Rice fee that will be made available to strengthen the squad.
  • Qualifying for the Europa League group stage (2019/20) £2.5 million, win a match 515k & a draw 170K. Figures that must surely appeal to GSB? There were players out there who could have strengthened the squad until the summer. We missed out on Caicedo who went to Brighton (Kante Mark 2) he is one for the long term Mr Moyes?
  • I’m not sure that Moyes does want to manage the club top to bottom. He requested the post-Burnley protest review into how the club is run, which led to the club being recommended a DofF, among other things. They were thrown out with Pellegrini’s appointment (and a figurehead DofF). He seems to have good ideas about building long-term and getting some of the control out of Sullivan’s hands.

Not sure who has made the decisions here, I’m not sure I’ll ever fully trust Sullivan and I think Moyes would always put on a brave face so it doesn’t look like he’s being messed around with and to avoid looking like he is undermining management. But I can also see how he might’ve held off on a new striker. I hope he sees something in Odubeko because we do need cover
  • We saw from the first Moyes spell and the early parts of this one that even when he does have players on the bench (Anderson, Lanzini, Haller, Wilshere) he didn’t put them on the pitch, even when we were struggling or knackered.

He doesn’t put players on the pitch that he doesn’t trust. So I can only assume that any of the short-term fixes available (King, Maja) just didn’t fit the bill.

At the moment Moyes has my trust, so if we didn’t get these players then I’m inclined to think he simply didn’t think they’d add anything. He went for Lingard instead of King because he will use him and trust him, IMO.
  • Qualifying for the Europa League group stage (2019/20) £2.5 million, win a match 515k & a draw 170K.

It's not very much (in football pounds, is it?)
    Also, I wonder if the amounts will be reduced next year, or if the prize money is set well in advance?
  • MrsGrey said:

Qualifying for the Europa League group stage (2019/20) £2.5 million, win a match 515k & a draw 170K.

Also, I wonder if the amounts will be reduced next year, or if the prize money is set well in advance?
    Also it's the fact that we could never attempt a European campaign without a full squad, so that would necessitate bringing in at least 5 players just to bring the squad up to parity with most of the others in the league, and without letting anyone go. That's the real cost of qualifying for Europe, and why I genuinely think G&S don't want us to finish in the European spots.
  • buffy, much as I agree with you it is a step forward from where we are & players look at that when considering whether to stay or sign. When will G&S sell up?
  • MrsGrey said:

Qualifying for the Europa League group stage (2019/20) £2.5 million, win a match 515k & a draw 170K.

Also it's the fact that we could never attempt a European campaign without a full squad, so that would necessitate bringing in at least 5 players just to bring the squad up to parity with most of the others in the league, and without letting anyone go. That's the real cost of qualifying for Europe, and why I genuinely think G&S don't want us to finish in the European spots.
    Yeah, this is it for me. If they don't strengthen the squad for a European campaign then they run the risk of the existing players suffering more fatigue/injury and potentially risking the club's place in the PL (as, arguably, we're seeing with Wolves this season). So yes, they'd need to bring in more players (i.e. more transfer and agent fees and increase a wage bill they've been desperate to reduce), and if you consider that Sullivan quoted £50k for an away trip to Everton, imagine what a European tour would cost? All in it probably costs the club more than what it's likely to make as per Mrs G's figures.

And for me it always comes back to same thing; if they can't afford to take us to the 'next level', which in their own words was competing in European competitions, then they should never have used that as a reason to leave UP.
  • And that’s why I view not qualifying for Europe as below par. It wouldn’t be below par for me if we still in UP.