Deadline Day - Don't go to bed

Comments

• We have signed Benrahma also - how could you forget 😂😂

Aha, but we signed him before October 2020!
  • Lukerz said:

So, since the season began (since October 2020), we have let go Jack Wilshere, Robert Snodgrass, Seb Haller & Winston Reid from our squad.

We have signed Jesse Lingard.

That's some serious coin saved, particularly if Brentford are picking up even some of Reid's wage.

So some £250k a week saved and £20m in the pot from Ajax (minus Lingard's reported £75k p/w wages and £1.5m loan fee). That's still a bit of money that should be available to the manager.

12 hours to go...
  • Remember, according to Kaveh, Moyes has £20m-£30m to spend but is choosing not to spend it.
  • We take an eternity to sign a striker (and still haven’t done so), yet in a heartbeat we are capable of selling one (at a 50% loss)

GSB out
  • Wilshere was paid off so most/all of his wages haven't been 'saved'.
  • Lukerz said:

Remember, according to Kaveh, Moyes has £20m-£30m to spend but is choosing not to spend it.

Assuming we spend none of that today, it'll be interesting to see what the budget will be in the summer. Or have we spent that £20-£30m on Benrahma? In which case, what's happened to the Grady money?
  • I read we paid for Benrahma in full, so that leaves little to spare.
  • Lukerz said:

So, since the season began (since October 2020), we have let go Jack Wilshere, Robert Snodgrass, Seb Haller & Winston Reid from our squad.

We have signed Jesse Lingard.

Technically Reid wasn't with us in october, he's only just returned from loan

And Benrahma was signed in the extended window in October

So Benrahma and Lingard in
    Snodgrass, Haller and Wilshere out since October
  • yet another window with less players than we started with
  • edited February 2021
    If you are going to count Benrahma as an addition, you should rightly add Anderson to the outgoing list to be consistent.

And count alves as an addition
  • Hey all, I mostly lurk around here with the odd casual post.

I'm actually more upbeat about this window. With the busiest period of the season behind us and sitting in 5th it's a good time to focus on quality rather than quantity. Happy to lose the deadwood and move on with a dressing room that's there to play for manager, each-other, the fans and the badge.

If worst were to happen with injuries, id be happy if we limped to 13+ in the table this year and build around what we have with more quality i.e. with players who are more promising than King who i really dont mind if we sign or not.
  • Very good points iron_pants

I would be crestfallen with 13th though and don’t get the rebuild from there theory.

Soucek and rice would be off immediately in the summer. We need to give them a reason to genuinely want to stay a bit longer. That’s what I would call progress.
  • Fair points Baracks, 'happy' is the wrong word - more like 'be OK with'

You're right about players wanting to leave and it'll be down to management to convince them that they will be surrounded with better players and turn this club into a consistent (4+ seasons) top-half club.
  • edited February 2021
    I think the point, which is fair, is Moyes & the owners are happy to settle with 5th in February & the current squad (with Masuaku to return) & take the risk.

If worst case scenario happens, we are likely to finish in the top 12 at worst. So it's fingers crossed we keep everybody fit & in form, to keep up this momentum. If not, no big deal, we'll finish mid-table.
  • edited February 2021

Top six you say 👀
  • I was a bit disappointed we didn't go for Josh Maja. He is a proper talent, IMO. Saw him a bit at Sunderland (stepdads a Mackem) & he's got bags of potential. Seems Fulham are in talks with Bordeaux over a loan for him. That's a great deal.
  • Anyway, keep the faith folks.

1/2 signings I reckon.
  • Reducing the numbers across both the Men’s & Women’s squads appears to be the “West Ham” way as two of the young women players have left today on loan meaning 4 out with one in! Cardoso has gone to Basle so that is another one gone from David Moyes number.
  • I’m not feeling 1/2 signings personally 😂😂
  • Lukerz said:

Spurs?

I'd be amazed if Costa would be happy to play second fiddle to Kane.
  • Hamstew said:

Lukerz said:

Spurs?

I'd be amazed if Costa would be happy to play second fiddle to Kane.
    Imagine how he would feel being second fiddle to Antonio.   😂
  • edited February 2021
    We will sign no one and then the injuries will start piling up.
  • edited February 2021
    Alex Crook @alex_crook
    Had a few people messaging about #WHUFC bringing in a striker. Indication I've been given is their transfer window business is done. Obviously things change on #DeadlineDay but that's where we are right now

Guy off talkSPORT
  • Don’t think it’s been mentioned much, but Balbuena’s contract ends in the summer? He is therefore free to talk to foreign clubs right now?
  • We're not getting a striker are we ☹️
  • We wont be signing anyone.
  • Lukerz said:

I was a bit disappointed we didn't go for Josh Maja. He is a proper talent, IMO. Saw him a bit at Sunderland (stepdads a Mackem) & he's got bags of potential. Seems Fulham are in talks with Bordeaux over a loan for him. That's a great deal.

If he's available on loan then surely we should be in for him? Decent player and relatively low wages you'd imagine. Not as if we couldn't afford him given how much we've cut from the wage bill.

If it works, great, if it doesn't, what have we lost. Either way Moyes can go for his main targets in the summer.
  • Hamstew said:

We're not getting a striker are we ☹️

It’ll be arnie

Moyes’ number one choice all along
  • Lukerz said:

Alex Crook @alex_crook
    Had a few people messaging about #WHUFC bringing in a striker. Indication I've been given is their transfer window business is done. Obviously things change on #DeadlineDay but that's where we are right now

Guy off talkSPORT

Imagine if this was Sullivan attempting banter and ringing around his mates in the media saying we're done, whilst all the time nailing down deals for Firpo, Kral and Hwang.

He's on his mobile in a hot tub with Dave Jnr and Little Jack, obvs. Salthouse is probably in there too. He's formed a support bubble with them. They're all having a chuckle. "Top bants dad", says Jack. "Yeah, you're the best dad", says Dave Jnr, cracking open another bottle of Bollinger. Salthouse says nothing because he's eating the second of two Big Macs he picked up on the way round to Casa del Sullivan.