The January Transfer Window

Comments

• OCS

It was Fornals with the lofted ball (if you are referring to yesterdays’ game)?
  • I think he either needs to be utilised as an exclusive forward option, or moved on next summer. He is not mobile enough to be a wide player, IMO.

Where I have always been impressed, is he seems quite clinical when he gets a chance. In his early days, he was quite efficient in front of goal. He’s scored quite a few first time finishes for us. He’s a decent height, he has shown glimpses of good touch play. I just think he is far too cumbersome on the right & he gets encouraged to cut inside, then outside, then inside, when he gets tackled, whereas as a forward I think he has to be more instinctive & he has shown he can be instinctive with some of his goals for us.
  • No, it was a few games ago baracks. Can't remember which one but he lofted it into the box to Soucek who I think took a shot and someone scored from the rebound.
  • edited January 2021

No, it was a few games ago baracks. Can't remember which one but he lofted it into the box to Soucek who I think took a shot and someone scored from the rebound.

He is dangerous when he is in the box. The headed assist for Antonio against WBA, his flicked pass to Soucek as you said, his finish against Doncaster (think he scored a couple in the League Cup too), little reverse pass to Coufal against Spurs. Last season he chipped in with a few goals (Chelsea, Villa, plus some in the early stages of the season).
  • No, it was a few games ago baracks. Can't remember which one but he lofted it into the box to Soucek who I think took a shot and someone scored from the rebound.

Found it. It was in the build up to the goal against Everton. Little lofted pass into Soucek who forced Pickford into the save, which went to Cresswell whose shot was deflected in. So not a direct assist, but without it the goal isn't scored.
  • I'm not a big fan of Yarmolenko but still think he has real quality

I don't like the flicks and tricks, so often he does little step overs, back heels, flicks and they just slow us down and often end up losing possession ....can't remember what game but he was wide on the right under no real pressure with Coufal making a run and was about to overlap him, instead of passing it like a normal player he rolled it back and played a backheel....which had no pace in it so Coufal had to check his run and run away from goal to collect it....was so infuriating to watch..

But when he actually puts his foot through the ball, he has a wonderful left foot and can deliver real genuine quality both in front of goal or crossing into the box

If he cut out the unnecessary flicks he could be a very able backup...but as he's already into his 30s can't imagine him changing now

Fair enough. So many Soucek goals that it is hard to keep up and remember them all precisely 😂😂
  • Lukerz said:

No, it was a few games ago baracks. Can't remember which one but he lofted it into the box to Soucek who I think took a shot and someone scored from the rebound.

He is dangerous when he is in the box. The headed assist for Antonio against WBA, his flicked pass to Soucek as you said, his finish against Doncaster (think he scored a couple in the League Cup too), little reverse pass to Coufal against Spurs. Last season he chipped in with a few goals (Chelsea, Villa, plus some in the early stages of the season).
    Plus I think he crossed in the build up to Johnson’s goal against Brighton.
  • Sky now reporting Benrahma's transfer has been made permanent.

#welcomejlingz
  • edited January 2021
    There’s talk lingard might make our squad for Saturday

Although if he has barely played, I doubt he should replace who we already have on our bench
  • ITK saying the loan fee for Lingard is the biggest they have ever known over 20 years.
  • edited January 2021
    He can replace one of the 16 defenders we have sitting there...

I imagine it will be Johnson.
  • edited January 2021

There’s talk lingard might make our squad for Saturday

Although if he has barely played, I doubt he should replace who we already have on our bench

I think there's room, to be honest. We've recently had five defenders on the bench, so maybe keep Johnson to cover RB and LB and bring Lingard in for Fredericks. But yeah, fitness could be an issue.
  • We don't need Balbuena, Diop, Fredericks & Johnson on the bench. Add to that a keeper and Noble, there's not much to change a game there.
  • ITK saying the loan fee for Lingard is the biggest they have ever known over 20 years.

Wasn’t the loan fee for Zaza £9m?
  • Lukerz said:

We don't need Balbuena, Diop, Fredericks & Johnson on the bench. Add to that a keeper and Noble, there's not much to change a game there.

I think the point was should anyone who has barely played be taking their place on the bench right away?
  • Lukerz said:

We don't need Balbuena, Diop, Fredericks & Johnson on the bench. Add to that a keeper and Noble, there's not much to change a game there.

I think the point was should anyone who has barely played be taking their place on the bench right away?
    Well if he's not played enough minutes to get in the bench I don't know how not putting him in the squad is going to help that

Can't say I've heard much of what Lingard has been doing all this time, but I don't think he's been injured so I'm sure he's still been training etc.
  • He did a great home workout video for lockdown for the bbc website. If he himself has been following it, then maybe he is good to go

Is this the biggest fee WHU have paid, or the biggest any PL club has paid, or the biggest fee Man U have ever received?

We need to know.
  • Who's the ITK as well?

The fee is making me confused by this deal again.
  • I suspect Yarmolenko is going to become our second striker if this happens, 3rd midfield convert to striker.
  • https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/01/27/the-biggest-i-have-ever-known-sky-journalist-drops-remarkable-west-ham-transfer-update/

MrsG, Apologies for the delay in posting this. I had to wait for my son to go on his lunch break from his home schooling. =)
  • The Athletic also reports that if we sign Lingard, we may well end our interest in signing a striker.

Wait, what?
  • Lukerz said:

The Athletic also reports that if we sign Lingard, we may well end our interest in signing a striker.

Wait, what?

Yep on their liveblog
  • Cheers, fortune.

This made me laugh: 'somebody who has been working in football for about 20 or 30 years'

So, good at the football stuff, not so good at the counting stuff?
  • That could, of course, be the dinner lady.
  • IronHerb, is she part of the loan agreement? =)
  • Lukerz said:

The Athletic also reports that if we sign Lingard, we may well end our interest in signing a striker.

Wait, what?

I did wonder the other day whether it was Lingard to cover Bowen and Yarmolenko to cover Antonio.

This is also reported here https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2021/01/27/the-biggest-i-have-ever-known-sky-journalist-drops-remarkable-west-ham-transfer-update/

My question is why would MANU want to lend a quality player to WHU, especially as the two teams might be rivals for a spot in a European competition.
This discussion has been closed.