Will we stay up?

Comments

• edited July 2020
    The win over Chelsea was as much a result of their poor defending as anything.
    The Barcodes are not going to be as generous, so any points we get are going to be very hard won.
    The one thing that may be in our favour is the confidence that would have been generated in coming from behind against the Chavs.
    Having Oggie back made a huge difference as we defended pretty well and they only scored from set-pieces.
    Would be nice if Haller is back and Moyes plays him up top with Antonio.
    However, I'm not expecting more than a point, but then again I never expected anything from the Chelski game.
    Oh, and Grey could you send me some of your faith please, PM or email is fine. :)

COYI
  • edited July 2020
    Bubbles, not sure why you feel the need to diminish our efforts and performance against Chelsea. We were, for a nice change,any good. Why not just enjoy that?
  • pressure off, really looking forward to or next games after the performance against Chelsea.

Being a glass half empty person sort of person and west ham's ability to shoot themselves in the foot i'm still feeling the pressure. :o

• Grey, I think you've inferred too much into what I said.

I never said they weren't good and even said that the Chavs needed set-pieces to score.
    I thought it was our most encouraging performance for a long, long time, although admittedly I didn't actually state that.

And why don't you think I enjoyed it, my wife thought I'd just seen that we'd won the lottery when Yarmo scored.

But we are West Ham, the epitome of unpredictability, so I instinctively feel pessimistic after a victory.

• Chelsea doing us a favour so far, 2 up against Watford at half time.
  • edited July 2020
    Norwich (h)
    Newcastle (h)
    West Ham (a)

Watford’s next 3 games. They’ll be backing themselves to take 6 points from that (I am pretty sure they will beat Norwich).

Would take them to 34 with City & Arsenal to end the season.

I genuinely feel if we managed to get 3 points tomorrow, that’s more or less us there.
  • Lukerz, Are you backing us to beat Norwich, remember it's the West Ham way to lose such a game?

Villa at Liverpool next followed by Man U. Whilst Bournemouth have Spurs & then Leicester at home. It could end up that our game v Watford on the 17th ends up 0-0 with neither team attacking or 5-5! :D
  • Bubbles, fair enough. 'Enjoy' was referencing the fact w had a decent performance, rather than the game itself.
  • 3 points when everyone else has lost (bar villa playing also) would be massive.
  • 6 points I think will be enough. Would be great if we could do that before the last game against Villa. I really fancy our chances against Newcastle if we play as we did against Chelsea.
  • edited July 2020
    I think the next three are massive.

We don’t want to be leaving it until Watford & Villa at home as to me I don’t look at them as winnable. I see them as ‘50-50 anything can happen’ games. The next three, whilst two are against good, solid teams, they will not lack that same desperation that Watford & Villa could have. I would probably take draws from those games now if offered.

Let’s get 5-7 points from this week & we should be able to breathe a little bit easier.
  • Good set of results for us this weekend. 2 wins this week and we might even be safe by the end of next weekend!
    I can dream can’t I?
  • Good job we're not hanging on the Soton result. Citeh seem determined to not score.
  • edited July 2020
    Burnley is going to be a horrible game.

22 points taken from their last 11 games.
  • We’ve targeted these last few games to win the points to stay up but our record against them isn’t that brilliant.
    If the bottom 4 draw all their games they’ve got left then we’re safe. We just don’t want them winning especially against us.
  • Pretty straightforward really. One more win and we are safe.
  • Liverpool 3-2 West Ham
    West Ham 3-1 Southampton
    Arsenal 1-0 West Ham
    West Ham 0-2 Wolves
    Spurs 2-0 West Ham
    West Ham 3-2 Chelsea
    Newcastle 2-2 West Ham

I think 7 points from the last 7 games we have played, with very reasonable performances in all of them apart from the two immediately after lockdown (maybe have the excuse of fitness etc).

I think in 5 of those games our performances were good enough to think we will get the points needed to stay up.

We haven’t yet lost in 5 games against bottom half sides under Moyes (2 wins, 3 draws).
  • If we do lose now we can blame Luke for jinxing us
  • edited July 2020
    Watford have taken 3 points from their last 10 games (when you take out the win against Liverpool). So 6 from their last 11.

They do however have a couple of games that they will fancy themselves in (Norwich & Newcastle at home, WHU away). But if they fail to beat Norwich on Tuesday they will be in big trouble.

Villa have taken 2 points from their last 8 games.

Bournemouth have taken 1 point from their last 8 games.
  • Watford and West Ham could be safe before we play each other on Friday. It could also be set up for a point each to clinch survival.
  • Would be much happier if Villa and Bournemouth drop points tomorrow

But we are almost there
  • We’re safe. No chance are Villa and Bournemouth turning their form around to the extent they need.
  • edited July 2020
    To be fair, if Soucek & Bowen are signs of the sort of players Moyes wants to bring in, I’m all for Moyes being given time to build his side.
  • There’s a lot wrong with Moyes approach, IMO. I don’t think he’s a good fit for us, and I would much rather we change. However, twice he’s come in with the objective of keeping us up and twice he’s achieved it
  • alderz, they were saying on the radio the other day that most clubs would keep Moyes on but with our board nothing can be guaranteed.
  • Job done.

#wallop
  • Brighton:- 36 Points

Southampton vs Brighton
    Brighton vs Newcastle
    Burnley vs Brighton

Watford:- 34 Points

West Ham vs Watford
    Watford vs Man City
    Arsenal vs Watford

West Ham:- 34 Points

West Ham vs Watford
    Man U vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Aston Villa

Bournemouth:- 31 Points

Man City vs Bournemouth
    Bournemouth vs Southampton
    Everton vs Bournemouth

Aston Villa:- 30 Points

Everton vs Aston Villa
    Aston Villa vs Arsenal
    West Ham vs Aston Villa

Getting rather tasty isn't it.

• If watford don't beat us they go down I think
  • edited July 2020
    Beat Watford and we stay up. Can't see Villa getting more than a point at Goodison and cant see City being beat at the Etihad by Bournemouth either. (meaning both would be 6 points behind)

Lose to Watford and probably to Man U also. Then i reckon Villa / Bournemouth one of them will be 3 points ready to overtake us so would need a win vs Villa on the Final day.

Interesting point to mention though imagine this scenario.

Watford beat West Ham and lose to City 37 points
    Brighton lose to both Southampton and Newcastle, 36 points
    West Ham lose to both Watford and Man U, 34 points
    Bournemouth lose to city beat Southampton, 34 points
    Aston Villa beat Everton and lose to Arsenal, 33 points

Cracker of a final day that would be with West Ham v Villa - the game for safety / Watford v Arsenal - A London derby to relegate Watfird and maybe Europe push for Arsenal ? / Burnley vs Brighton - A Burnley push for Europe and Brighton potential relegation / Everton vs Bournemouth - the great escape maybe for Bournemouth ?