Will we stay up?

Comments

• 35 will do it
  • I think Norwich and Villa are down, and the other spot is between us, Watford and Bournemouth. I did have Bournemouth taking that last spot for ages, but Watford have just dropped into the bottom 3 on my predicted final table.

Remarkably, we finish 16th :D
  • I'll take that Buffy :*
  • Watford lost again, this time by Southampton, good result for us again.
  • I don't like relying on others in this league

However, does feel like it will be decided on who is the worst rather than who is the best

7 games to go!
  • It's like no-one wants to stay up!!
  • edited June 2020
    By the time we kick off at Newcastle, even a Bournemouth home win on Wednesday would not have us in that bad a position.

Let’s say we lose to Chelsea & Bournemouth beat Newcastle.

We could end the week two points clear should Villa lose to Liverpool & Watford lose at Chelsea.

This obvs would require us to beat Newcastle away, given our horrendous away form. Plus Bournemouth to lose at Old Trafford.

We’d then have Burnley home & Norwich away to follow up. Moyes has to be targeting 7-9 points from those games. I think we can get those points, if Moyes is less conservative & more ‘go on lads’.

It could well look like this come next Sunday evening should we beat Newcastle (I’ve even added a Bournemouth win to be extra cautious, as well as a Norwich win v Brighton):

West Ham 30
    Bournemouth 30
    —————————
    Watford 28
    Aston Villa 27
    Norwich 24

The reality is that we have enough fixtures against bottom half sides (five) for survival to remain in our hands. We will fully deserve to get relegated if we don't put together enough points.
  • Our problem is we are not scoring goals ,very difficult to win if you can’t score unless we get a penalty or an own goal I am struggling to see where the goals will come from . My hope is Bowen gets a few and Antonio find his shooting boots and maybe Fornals
  • Fornals isn't a goal scorer, he hasn't scored more than 3 in the league since the 16/17 season

I agree though, we don't look like scoring which is really worrying.....and we aren't even creating many chances
  • What is Fornals? What is his role?
  • https://www.whoscored.com/Players/297203/History/Pablo-Fornals

I reckon we should be expecting him to create chances for the goalscorers in our squad based on his career stats but will Mr Moyes play any? :'(
  • Fornals is a deep midfield creator, IMO. He has quality one he ball and he works hard. I think he’s a perfect long term replacement for Noble. He’s definitely not a winger, and he’s not a goal scorer either.
  • I think i said that when we first brought him. For Spain U21 he was playing with Ceballos in that middle interchanging and both of them controlled that midfield area.
  • I still think we need to go back to the Allardyce Diamond. I feel we would benefit from this immensely.

Rice

Soucek Fornals

Bowen

Antonio Haller

I would allow Bowen and Fornals to interchange, it would allow for Soucek and Rice to do the same.

Haller will have someone to play off and vice versa with Antonio, there is a reason Haller Jovic and Rebic worked so well and playing the isolated striker was never the answer.
  • alderz said:

Fornals is a deep midfield creator, IMO. He has quality one he ball and he works hard. I think he’s a perfect long term replacement for Noble. He’s definitely not a winger, and he’s not a goal scorer either.

Agreed but unfortunately, I don't remember him ever being played as a replacement to Noble.

The way he's been used, Fornals was a bad buy, maybe the worst of the summer. Not because of his performances but because we should've been buying players to support Haller or Rice.
  • At Villarreal Fornals played mostly as a central attacking midfielder in the hole behind behind the striker, since he joined us he's mostly played on the left so maybe that's why we're not seeing him at his best.

I don't see him as a "Noble replacement"
  • Looks like the BBC are sharpening their knives again ... https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53215371

Continuing to state the obvious and rehash the 'free stadium' view ...
  • edited July 2020
    I don't see anything that isn't accurate in that article, if we get relegated its going to cost the board more and London taxpayers (myself included) will lose even more money on the stadium than we already do.

One thought has occurred, if we get relegated and the club needs extra financing then S&G might be more likely to consider a takeover
  • There is nothing inaccurate but this was known about months ago.
  • IronHerb said:

There is nothing inaccurate but this was known about months ago.

But relegation is looking ever more likely, so it seems to make sense to write about it now.
  • 2-0 Newcastle
  • Will be a tricky game on Sunday.
  • Both Newcastle and the Gooners doing us a favour this evening, but I want us to stay up on merit. If that's not too much trouble.
  • All of the bottom 5 are so dismal right now.
  • 3-0 Newcastle
  • Let’s hope Newcastle are getting it out of their system and will dry up after tonight.
  • Both Newcastle and the Gooners doing us a favour this evening, but I want us to stay up on merit. If that's not too much trouble.

It’s still merit to be better than 3 other teams. Even if we’re trash and stay up, the entire league is a meritocracy
  • This Bournemouth performance is worse than ours in recent games. I believe they are down.
  • Is 28 points enough to stay up this year lol