Will we stay up?

Comments

• Zaha FC are nothing without him.
  • At the risk of sounding like Baz regarding Liverpool, but the football they played last night was mesmerising. Quite apart from the goals, their movement, passing, speed was on a different level.
  • I agree, almost as good as the Hammers.
  • edited June 2020
    I think Norwich losing 2 out of 2, Bournemouth losing 2 out of 2 & Villa not winning that game in hand has given us as good a position as we could have hoped for, had we lost both our games. I think most people would have said we would now be in the bottom three if we’d started the restart with two defeats. So with only 7 games left now, you take having 3 teams below you, given that Norwich seem gone, Villa have a tough next 3 & Bournemouth have a very difficult remaining set of games (although at home to Newcastle is next).

It’s going to mean that if we win 3 of those games where we are targeting points, we ‘should’ be ok. I think 36 points is going to be enough. If we can throw in a couple of draws too, that would probs guarantee it. The best games to target, for me, are Norwich, Newcastle & Burnley. Watford & Villa will not be easy home (neutral) games, so relying on those is going to bring that horrible anxiety especially if that final game is an all or nothing. It should not be beyond us picking up wins over Norwich & Burnley & getting draws from Watford & Newcastle. That would see us in a good position going into the final two.

But like us all, I am not hopeful of us getting the points needed, but we are probably going to go into those final 6 games in a reasonable position given how bad we have been ever since we lost at home to Palace.

But certainly not a good season &, if we do stay up, we need a complete overhaul I believe in the summer.
  • I see Dyche is looking to leave blaming lack of funds and not sorting contracts, I wonder where he will go next :o I hope the Dave's have not seen that
  • So who do you want whupatham?
  • edited June 2020
    I’d take Dyche.

He’s the 2020 version of Sam & Moyes.

Moyes is 20 years out of date now.
  • Doesn't Moyes still have another year to run?
  • 1 win in 11 and we are asking for 3 wins in 7.

I don't see it. At best we might get 2 wins at the VERY best. Realistically we might get another win to get to 30 points and 2 or 3 draws. We are going to be woefully short of the points needed.
  • 6 pointers left:- between the bottom 6.

Norwich v Brighton
    Watford v Norwich
    Norwich v West Ham
    West Ham vs Watford
    West Ham vs Aston Villa

Most teams in bottom 6 play Newcastle / Burnley though in that mid pack.

So when you look at the 6 pointers, Us / Norwich / Watford have the most to gain or lose.

• Nolan with noble as the championship team unless we stay up then moyes will go nowhere unfortunately
  • edited June 2020
    Yeold

Liverpool x2
    Man City (a)
    Leicester (a)
    Wolves (h)
    Spurs (a)
    Sheffield United (a)
    Arsenal (a)

In those 12 games. All in the top 9. All but two of them away.

You can add Chelsea on next, making it only Man Utd who we have not played, in Moyes’ 13 games in charge, of the top nine.

I agree I have no confidence in this side but we have had a tough run.

The other fixtures: Bournemouth, Everton, Brighton & Saints (bottom half teams), we took 8 points & led in the two drawn games, one of which we should have won after being 3-1 up.

I think we do need to allow Moyes the chance to get us out of this mess over the final 6 games.

We aren’t a very good side, so any game against a top 10 side will make us underdogs.
  • BubblesNeverDies
    June 24
    I'm trying to decide after almost 62 years of supporting West Ham whether I should even care. Most of the players don't seem to, so why should I have to suffer waking up in the morning and breaking out in a cold sweat the moment my thoughts to West Ham. It might be better for my longevity if I just forget all about them - says he thinking wishfully. :'(

I've been supporting the hammers nearly as long as you Bubbles and once it's in your blood it's there for life.
    Many a time i've said thats it i've had enough.Who am i kidding? i'm here for the long run until my last breath.

#Imissthequotebutton :(
  • Bubbles I’ve been supporting them for almost 70 years but on match days it feels like 170.
  • :bowdown: to both of you for your commitment. (For which you should both be committed).
  • Nobody knows for sure if we'll stay up of course.For many of us, we've been here many times before and it's never easy but for me this time it feels different.I don't know if it's the effects of no football for three months or just plain old indifference but I find myself not really caring.
    This club,was the club of my granddad(he was at the White Horse final)my dad,me and my brother and my son is a twenty odd years season season ticket holder.It just feels so different now.Priorities change in life of course and West Ham is not the be all and end all that it once was for me when a bad result on a Saturday would ruin my weekend,these days not so much.
    I feel for the staff at the club if we do go down as there are bound to be redundancies but the players will always be ok as they'll either be on long contracts or some other club will sign them.
    As I said West Ham is definitely in my DNA but I'm losing the love.

P.S.The above is subject to change if we need a win against Villa on the last day to stay up. :)
  • and watford lose :)
  • We've had some pretty good results go our way tbh. They all have played teams that they would have felt like getting something from.
  • Hamstew,

I agree with you in the main but hadn't cater for Brighton's results, four points when the best I expected was 1. Watford drew with Leicester whilst our 2 defeats & Bournemouth's were par for the course. Norwich will hopefully have lost the will to fight by July 11 when we visit although they do play Brighton the week before.
  • I just had a look at our final game last season:

Fabianski
    Fredericks - Balbuena - Diop - Masuaku
    Noble - Rice
    Antonio - Lanzini - Anderson
    Arnautovic

1-4 win at Watford

We could basically field that side next Wednesday (except Arnie) & it's a shadow of that side.
  • Any of the bottom three still have Liverpool to play as they now have nothing to play for.
  • Anybody who plays Liverpool, will have to just overcome the fact that they are the best team in the league by over 20 points.

Should make it a tough enough challenge.
  • Liverpool also want to reach 100 points so there is still hope they won’t take their foot off the gas.
  • Burnley did us a big favour today beating Watford.
  • We'll be ok.
  • Norwich a man sent off and extra time, just what we would have wanted
  • Manchester United now in the Semi Finals means our match will have to be rescheduled from July 18 2020 to the following mid week before the last weekend of the season. Don't know it that is a good or bad thing for us?
  • a good thing as if they make the finals they may have one eye on the cup and reminds me of the great escape
  • Battle of the Bottlers going on at the bottom.

Brighton:- 33 Points

Brighton vs Man U
    Norwich vs Brighton
    Brighton vs Liverpool
    Brighton vs Man City
    Southampton vs Brighton
    Brighton vs Newcastle
    Burnley vs Brighton

Watford:- 28 Points

Chelsea vs Watford
    Watford vs Norwich
    Watford vs Newcastle
    West Ham vs Watford
    Watford vs Man City
    Arsenal vs Watford

West Ham:- 27 Points

West Ham vs Chelsea
    Newcastle vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Burnley
    Norwich vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Watford
    Man U vs West Ham
    West Ham vs Aston Villa

Bournemouth:- 27 Points

Bournemouth vs Newcastle
    Man U vs Bournemouth
    Bournemouth vs Tottenham
    Bournemouth vs Leicester
    Man City vs Bournemouth
    Bournemouth vs Southampton
    Everton vs Bournemouth

Aston Villa:- 27 Points

Liverpool vs Aston Villa
    Aston Villa vs Man United
    Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace
    Everton vs Aston Villa
    Aston Villa vs Arsenal
    West Ham vs Aston Villa

Norwich:- 21 Points

Arsenal vs Norwich
    Norwich vs Brighton
    Watford vs Norwich
    Norwich vs West Ham
    Chelsea vs Norwich
    Norwich vs Burnley
    Man City vs Norwich
  • Reckon we could see a lowest point total staying up.