Will we stay up?

Comments

• We now desperately need 3 teams to play worse football than us!! Seems impossible so far!
  • It's not about teams playing worse football, it's about teams getting worse results. In my opinion, Norwich are gone. I then think it's two of us, Villa and Bournemouth (it's possible that someone else could get dragged in, but for now I think it's two of those three).

None of us have nice run ins, we do have a handful of games in a row that look "winnable" on paper, so who knows.

Currently if I had to put money on it I'd say we'll go down.
  • In two minds on this one, but ever hopeful that we will stay up
  • I'm trying to decide after almost 62 years of supporting West Ham whether I should even care. Most of the players don't seem to, so why should I have to suffer waking up in the morning and breaking out in a cold sweat the moment my thoughts to West Ham. It might be better for my longevity if I just forget all about them - says he thinking wishfully. :'(
  • You've got no chance....
  • edited June 2020
    BND ............... My 60th year of going to games and I still can't ignore WHU

It's probably better for us oldies, Moore, Hurst and Peters winning the WC, seeing three FA cups, European cup winners cup, and the season of 86.

Anyone under 40 wouldn't have seen any of that.

I think that Colchester might remember even more than I do >:)
  • Can't see Bournemouth Villa and/orNorwich matching our points total, so we stay up on the back of them being even more rubbish than us.
  • edited June 2020
    Expat, did you really have to remind of all the few good times - it's just making it harder. :'(
  • This is our fourth down to the wire (last game scenario) relegation season In the last 17 years. So far they’ve gone relegated, escaped (cost us a fortune in fines), relegated and ?
  • I think it is going to the wire. I agree with Grey that his nominations for the drop
    are most likely to go down, but we have to start playing a lot better than we have
    done recently, otherwise we will be in the Championship next season.

• edited June 2020
    What do we reckon, 4 wins?. Do-able against Watford, Burnley, Norwich and Villa but that's 4 wins from 7 games and we've only won 7 from 31.
  • Problem is 3 of those are also fighting for their lives and expect that they will fight harder than us sadly.
    I’d rather be playing mid table teams than those that desperately need points. One thing I’ve learned over nearly 70 years of being a fan is that we rarely are able to help ourselves.
  • Rice now saying we need to give 100%. I would have thought that would be a given not a “now’s the time to do it”.
  • I'm sure Watford , Villa & Norwich think our game is 3 points each for them.....Will be NOT fun to see how it pans out....
  • Big night tonight, the 3 clubs beneath us are all playing.
  • We’re currently in bottom 3.
  • No we aren't. Currently.
  • thornbury said
    Rice now saying we need to give 100%. I would have thought that would be a given not a “now’s the time to do it”.

Not exactly (depending on what you read from what sources). No reference in what I've seen to 'now' as if there was a time that 100% wasn't required.

- The minimum is 100 per cent effort against teams like Chelsea, Spurs, the top six, that’s the minimum.

- As soon as you’re out on the pitch you want to make things happen and you need to give 100 per cent

From https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2020/june/24-june/declan-rice-we-need-stay-calm-stay-confident-stick-together-and (although I haven't watched the interview yet, just relying on the write up).

It's a bit like inferring that 'black lives matter' = 'white lives don't matter'.
  • Results going are way at the moment
  • Villa has just equalised!
  • How on earth are we still not in the bottom 3
  • reasons to be cheerful, villa had an on paper winnable game, drew, the others lost, we are still out of the bottom 3 until the chavs at least, Blunts lost 3-0 again and the spuds are no in a chumpions league spot with no summer events and a big stadium to pay off:)
  • steve, we will be in the near future & then we will have to start digging ourselves out. :'(
  • The thing that should worry us is that Villa have actually scored in their last two games, we've barely registered a worthwhile shot at goal in our last two.
  • Bubbles, we are conserving our attempts on goal for the matches we expect to win. 😉
  • edited June 2020
    The thing that should worry us is that Villa have actually scored in their last two games, we've barely registered a worthwhile shot at goal in our last two.

Villa - 6 shots on target; West Ham 4 shots on target. Last 2 games.

Villa scored 1 at home to Chelsea, 1 away at Newcastle. We haven't played the corresponding fixtures yet.

#comparelikewithlike
  • And we don't play strikers.
  • MrsGrey, so, Villa 6 shots 2 goals, us 4 shots 0 goals.
    I think you missed the "worthwhile" part of my comment. ;)
  • I'll be delighted if we score one goal v Chelsea at home and away at Newcastle if we win both 1-0. :D
  • Whuex saying Snodgrass may be out until the end of the season....huge blow

I'm not his biggest fan but with 10 goals contributions (5 goals and 5 assists) hes our biggest goal contributor this season....Lanzini and Anderson have 2 and 5 respectively for total contributions in similar minutes...plus he gives it his all

If haller comes back, we can stay up

If Haller doesnt AND moyes doesnt alter his style it's looking unlikely imo

If Haller doesnt AND moyes alters his set up we have a chance

I hate the way Moyes has us set, but you can see vs Southampton and in what we are trying that having bowen and Antonio playing off Haller could be effective, but atm Antonio isnt a great target man and isnt as effective on his own and we invite too much pressure